• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next ComicConnect Auction is putting up some interesting stuff
3 3

217 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Can't just take one and leave one for the other children, can we? :taptaptap:

The 11 in particular was a great pickup.  :)

Hey, at least I left you that killer-grade Fantastic 3... And tonight there's the New Mutants 98 in 9.8. :insane:

Yes, I'm psyched about the 11. According to my "records" (LOL as if), this same book sold at CC about a year ago. I had tracked it then, and was thrilled to see it pop back up now.

11 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

that there is some red goodness, i do declare!

Well, your Fight 3 and especially your Fight 7 are sporting some sweet reds too. Plus those crazy apes = :acclaim:

24 minutes ago, circumstances said:

Underrated book. What shape was it in and how much did it sell for?

$16,751 7.5 Billy Wright copy

This book is no longer flying under the radar, it's been absolutely en fuego recently.  Didn't hurt that Dr. Fate is rumored to appear in Legends of Tomorrow season 3.

5 minutes ago, atomised said:

This book is no longer flying under the radar, it's been absolutely en fuego recently.  Didn't hurt that Dr. Fate is rumored to appear in Legends of Tomorrow season 3.

thanks. looks like that copy sold on HA for $11,950 (including BP) on 2/22/12.

Edited by circumstances

37 minutes ago, circumstances said:
42 minutes ago, atomised said:

thanks. looks like that copy sold on HA for $11,950 (including BP) on 2/22/12.

Are you telling me that Mitch is finally right when he said that we should jump on board and buy the Billy Wright's when they first came out in 2012 because we would never see them at these prices again.  :whatthe:  lol

If I remember correctly, turned out that most speculators or flippers lost money on those books when they tried to resell them again in the short term, which is usually never a good idea when it comes to most comic books. :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

On 5/2/2017 at 9:01 AM, G.A.tor said:

The 6.0 #11 that just sold for 4995 that  hit 6900 a short time later was "weak"?

a 1.8 breaking 2k weak?

i thought both were very strong results 

That was my 11, 1.8 and I can tell you it FAR exceeded my expectations!

On 5/2/2017 at 5:35 PM, G.A.tor said:

I took the 1.8 past 2k bc it looked nicer. Still lost it and I felt I was bidding over retail 

As I mentioned this was my book - bought it raw - I thought it was going to grade much higher - spine splits took it down - but you can barely see them through the slab.  I venture to say it's the nicest looking 1.8 you'll ever see on any book...

1 hour ago, Racer-X said:

As I mentioned this was my book - bought it raw - I thought it was going to grade much higher - spine splits took it down - but you can barely see them through the slab.  I venture to say it's the nicest looking 1.8 you'll ever see on any book...

Out of curiosity, how big were the spine splits? 

5 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Out of curiosity, how big were the spine splits? 

I don't remember ANY significant spine tears when I had it in hand; but grader notes are: 

multiple split spine, multiple tear spine, multiple shadow cover

1 hour ago, Racer-X said:

Through the slab the splits are barely perceptible as hairline splits - no fraying or pieces missing - that's why I say it is an extremely attractive 1.8.

Definitely one of the nicer looking 1.8s I've seen, and ideal for keeping in a slab. I can see the grade if the spine is a bit fragile. I've had books which look VG or better at first glance, but have small splits along the spine, leaving maybe a half still intact. That's roughly the same grade I would give them raw.

51 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Am I the only one glad this auction is ending so they can start posting the Jon Berks books?

Yes, this past Event Auction just seem to be anti-climatic as everybody knew that the Jon Berk Collection would just be around the corner.

Hopefully, this next auction will be limited to just the Berk books and not be mixed in with other regular books.  That's why I find it a bit confusing with emails from them still asking for consignments from collectors so that they would be received in time for their next big auction.  (shrug)

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Am I the only one glad this auction is ending so they can start posting the Jon Berks books?

That was on my mind when I picked up the Terrific Comics #5 1.8.  Maybe I could be spending the budget too early with the Berk books around the corner.  But I wanted the damn book.