• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next ComicConnect Auction is putting up some interesting stuff
3 3

217 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I imagine with the new grading team in place at CGC and headed up by Matt Nelson, I imagine there would many potential 9-ish books sitting in 8-ish or possibly even 7-ish slabs if the customers did not provide CGC with the "courtesy" of using some of their additional paid services prior to grading.  Especially when compared to the previous grading teams that were in place prior to this current incarnation. 

Any bets that if we look hard enough at some of the books in this current auction, there'll be several examples of this.  Especially when it comes to what would otherwise be HG books except for tiny and barely perceptible non-color breaking creases or ticks which are probably not even visible from detailed scans.  hm

Which sums up exactly why my zest for collecting has waned as this stupid game has arose. Looking for non color breaking stresses or "pressable" defects, isn't why I started collecting high grade GA books years ago, and certainly isn't why I have invested a ton of money on HG GA books. I have always thought CGC  places too much emphasis on non color breaking defects.

Edited by clarkkentdds

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I imagine with the new grading team in place at CGC and headed up by Matt Nelson, I imagine there would many potential 9-ish books sitting in 8-ish or possibly even 7-ish slabs if the customers did not provide CGC with the "courtesy" of using some of their additional paid services prior to grading.  Especially when compared to the previous grading teams that were in place prior to this current incarnation. 

Any bets that if we look hard enough at some of the books in this current auction, there'll be several examples of this.  Especially when it comes to what would otherwise be HG books except for tiny and barely perceptible non-color breaking creases or ticks which are probably not even visible from detailed scans.  hm

Examples of what?  Are you saying that CGC is intentionally giving lower grades to books that don't use the CCS pressing service?

No, not saying that at all as in theory the graders should not be able to tell if a book has been pressed or not if it has been done properly.

I am saying if submittors are not keeping on top of changes that are taking place at CGC, they are most likely not maxing out their potential with respect to their books.  Especially with the new grading team in place where it seems that barely perceptible creases and stress lines are most likely playing much more of factor in the determination of the final grade, as compared to before where the older traditional defects had more of an impact.  This is completely understandable since Matt's experience and background is all about pressing, so it's only natural that this defect would move right up the chart on his list of no-no's.  And probably the reason why we are seeing a much larger percentage of books that present much nicer from a visual eye appeal point of view relative to their assigned grades, especially when compared to the past.  hm

I see in the listing they note 'Lots ending 30 seconds apart'. Haven't noticed that on past auctions of theirs if it was posted.

Does this mean there won't be the standard 'extended bidding' for this auction? hm :wishluck: :devil:

43 minutes ago, sagii said:

I see in the listing they note 'Lots ending 30 seconds apart'. Haven't noticed that on past auctions of theirs if it was posted.

Does this mean there won't be the standard 'extended bidding' for this auction? hm :wishluck: :devil:

40 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Don't kid yourself  lol

Yes, indeed!

I believe their lots have generally always closed 30 seconds apart, and then it's available for extended bidding after that.  :flipbait:    lol

Edited by lou_fine

37 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, indeed!

I believe their lots have generally always closed 30 seconds apart, and then it's available for extended bidding after that.  :flipbait:    lol

A guy can dream can't he? :D

It's only March and already i'm projected to make this year a record on comic spending :insane:

21 minutes ago, Primetime said:
1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

the Action 7 went to 40K faster than a speeding bullet lol

and now over 50 large.

Yes, it looks like the Action's are all in the top spots for now, which was to be expected I guess.  (thumbsu

19 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I remember that Action 7 from a while back. I think I inquired to buy the book from the owner but he declined many years ago.

yes, I think his name was "Matt" and he lived about an hour north of me (if I recall correctly). I think you bought a 4.0 tec 31 from him....