• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best SA book you have enjoyed reading?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:53 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I just read those first 6 Hulks.  Very enjoyable with Kirby and Ditko art thru out the run.   

(thumbsu

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:53 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I just read those first 6 Hulks.  Very enjoyable with Kirby and Ditko art thru out the run.   

(thumbsu

Ugh!   I thought they were awful.   Couldn't get rid of my Masterworks quickly enough.  

On 4/5/2017 at 4:09 PM, Knightsofold said:

FF #4 and Avengers #4 are probably my 2 favorites.  

I have to agree on both of these.   (thumbsu

I had to search for months to find a copy of FF #4 back in 1962.   I was able to pick up the Avengers #4 off the rack a couple of years later.

I'd also have to add Amazing Fantasy 15, which was and still is a huge favorite (in part because I bought it and JIM 83 at Sid's on the same day in early summer of 1962).

13 hours ago, burntboy said:

I have to agree on both of these.   (thumbsu

I had to search for months to find a copy of FF #4 back in 1962.   I was able to pick up the Avengers #4 off the rack a couple of years later.

I'd also have to add Amazing Fantasy 15, which was and still is a huge favorite (in part because I bought it and JIM 83 at Sid's on the same day in early summer of 1962).

I love that you got those off the rack!  Any pictures?  Where the comics in a spinner or shelf with other magazines?  Were the Marvel comics only a small section compared to the rest?  Did they stick out?  what type of store is Sid's?  Where did you end up getting the FF#4?  Did you know who Cap and Subby were from seeing Golden Age comics, or were these the first time you saw them?   Thanks for sharing!

ASM issues 39 to 56 are my favorite extended run. I read them 50 years ago when I was eight years old and they made an indelible impression on me. Everything about those stories seemed so vivid and real.

Some other classics are ASM 31-33, 88-90, 121 & 122, Superman 149 "The Death of Superman" freaked me out as a five or six year old, FF 48-51 and Annual 6, Detective 366 & 367 and the Thor run from 101 to around 140.

On 4/14/2017 at 1:31 PM, Knightsofold said:

I love that you got those off the rack!  Any pictures?  Where the comics in a spinner or shelf with other magazines?  Were the Marvel comics only a small section compared to the rest?  Did they stick out?  what type of store is Sid's?  Where did you end up getting the FF#4?  Did you know who Cap and Subby were from seeing Golden Age comics, or were these the first time you saw them?   Thanks for sharing!

All of Sid's books were in two large magazine racks.  (Probably 12 feet wide by 6 feet high altogether).   The comics were relegated to the lower right hand quarter, so about 6 x 3ft).

Men's magazines, photography, woman's stuff, sports, you name it occupied the other 3/4's.   Pocket sized books were in two spinner racks.  (I bought all of the ACE Burroughs books with the Frazetta and Krenkle covers there).

I'd heard of Cap and Subby but had never seen them before (except for Strange Tales #114 where "Cap" and the Torch did battle on the cover).  Cap turned out to be the Acrobat but it set the stage for Avengers 4 in another 4 months.  And then in another 9 months Cap teamed up with Sgt Fury.   Marvel mania was rocking by then...

I have scans of all the books but not on this laptop.   Maybe soon...

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:18 PM, burntboy said:

All of Sid's books were in two large magazine racks.  (Probably 12 feet wide by 6 feet high altogether).   The comics were relegated to the lower right hand quarter, so about 6 x 3ft).

Men's magazines, photography, woman's stuff, sports, you name it occupied the other 3/4's.   Pocket sized books were in two spinner racks.  (I bought all of the ACE Burroughs books with the Frazetta and Krenkle covers there).

I'd heard of Cap and Subby but had never seen them before (except for Strange Tales #114 where "Cap" and the Torch did battle on the cover).  Cap turned out to be the Acrobat but it set the stage for Avengers 4 in another 4 months.  And then in another 9 months Cap teamed up with Sgt Fury.   Marvel mania was rocking by then...

Thanks for the descriptions!

Edited by Knightsofold

7 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

Amazing Adult Fantasy 9 - Tim Boo Ba, baby!

tiloegoc0xcqfv30zc5o.jpg

Seriously. It's awesome lol

Yup.  I concur that Timothy is an A-list Marvel monster.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:18 PM, burntboy said:

Quite a few of them are still at www.tvcomics.com ...........GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu