• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The comic(s) that made you bawl your eyes out
4 4

109 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

A book I’ve always found quite disturbing is issue 8 of Kirby's Eternals series.  There’s a scene where the most extremely-mutated Deviants are being transported in Death Wagons to be exterminated in a furnace, and, I always assumed the worst here, while still alive.  There’s something extremely sad about how defeated they look in there; demonised for no actual fault of their own, simply the helpless victims of a desperate eugenics policy.

Let’s not get into the quite obvious, real world, historical parallels.

That's a great call that I had forgotten about, and surely not a coincidental parallel on Kirby's part, I would bet.

5 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Definitely a memorable set of panels; but even when I first read it, what Gobby said in the final panel didn't make sense.   "A fall from that height would kill anyone before they struck the ground"?  What about sky-divers?  Conway's dialogue could be ridiculous at times.

You're thinking like an adult -- you're right, it doesn't make sense.  But as a 6th grader, this was powerful stuff!

On 3/30/2017 at 8:04 PM, Aweandlorder said:

4 pages and no mention of art spiegelman Maus or Alan Moore Watchmen. Wow

Maus I can agree with.

I think I was sad when I finished Strangers in Paradise just because it did end and I didn't want it to. 

Astro City 1/2- "The Nearness of You".  Having the Woman of my dreams in my life-I couldn't imagine the loss of her existence as experienced by Michael Tenicek in this story.  Gut wrenching.

:( Chris

Edited by dudeman5000

7 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Definitely a memorable set of panels; but even when I first read it, what Gobby said in the final panel didn't make sense.   "A fall from that height would kill anyone before they struck the ground"?  What about sky-divers?  

Conway's dialogue could be ridiculous at times.

1 hour ago, zosocane said:

You're thinking like an adult -- you're right, it doesn't make sense.  But as a 6th grader, this was powerful stuff!

Conway's storyline about Doctor Octopus wanting to marry Aunt May was much, much more ridiculous.  Try re-reading that black widower plot as an adult.  lol

Edited by Ken Aldred

I have had several over the years of reading. In no particular order below.

Uncanny X-men 303 - Dare you to read it and not cry. The book still haunts me when I see it.

Hulk 420 - Death of Jim Wilson - One of Peter Davids greatest issues I thought.

Hulk 378 - A fill in issue with Crazy 8. Just a great story.

Exiles 25 - Masada Storyline. Actually Exiles 23-25, but the last issue with Black Bolt was moving

Teen Titans 38 (I think) Who is Donna Troy.

Astonishing X-men - When Peter came back. Then they killed Kitty.

Spectre 62 - What a well done book from start to finish.

Fantastic Four 60 - One of the last panels where Reed explains to his daughter that he made a terrible
mistake and his friends paid for it. Absolute classic panel.

Identity Crisis - Never been an Atom fan, but that one page was unbelievably moving. You could feel his pain.

Starlight - The entire series was an old man talking about his heroics as a young man. It was a very touching series I greatly enjoyed that nobody probably read.

I was only 9 when ASM #s 121-122 came out. Even though I really didn't have much of a clue about adult relationships at that time, it still hit me pretty hard. This was Spider-Man's girlfriend! And there wasn't anything he could do about it. The scenes where he was talking to her on the docks after she died were heart-wrenching. Gil Kane and John Romita did a great job of portraying that.

ASM 90 - Death of Capt. Stacy. Pete loses another Father figure! 
Also, the fact that he knew Peter's identity and asks him to take
care of Gwen! :/ (we all know how that worked out!) 
8dfeac15331a23ef1e34d29cf82d18af.jpg

........and Pete and Aunt May in ASM 400.

image25-e1381146217757.jpg

Edited by Hiro

I just read Flashpoint  (6 issue mini-series) for the first time. Best story I've read in a long time and gives me hope for post-bronze age greatness.

Was really moved by the story -- esp. Wayne and Father. Was also moved by the part where they go on a quest find the almost scrawny, beaten down alien guy who was trapped and quarantined his entire life, to which

Batman Sr. replies, "this is the most powerful man on the earth??" Guess I need to watch the animated version now.

Also found myself saying, wtf, with grifter from the wildcats (was cool though).

Any other suggestions along that story-line are appreciated.

Edited by bronze_rules

New Mutants 60, only time I ever cried reading a comic. I was just a middle school kid but I had already built a huge collection and even a few pages of art. I loved the hobby, I loved the medium. My favorite book was New Mutants, and my favorite character was Cypher. He was a hero I could relate to. His powers were ones of the mind and spirit not god-like strength or invulnerability. He didn't fly or life buses. All other comic heroes have these amazing abilities or tech to shield them. On some level, them going into battle was less brave because of it. They always had protection, they always could use that unique gift to save their butts. Doug had his fists and his ability to just be smarter than anyone he faced. He was the bravest of the mutant superheroes...by a mile...In the issue the main villian pulled a gun on Rahne and was about to shoot her in the back, no question killing her. Doug jumped to push her out of the way taking fire knowing full well he had nothing to protect himself with. He just knew he had to save her. He died saving the woman he loved from certain death. She dismissed his acts like he was a baby before realizing he took a fatal blow for her. He died looking at her saying he was sorry. She held him, and he was gone.

It was the most heroic act possible, by the bravest marvel superhero of all time, dying to save the woman he loved. Before he passed he was the hero i most connected with. After he passed I realized he was the Hero I would most want to be.

I was 13 and had just scored a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #4 from a friend at school. As I went to put it in my notebook, the teacher grabbed it and tore it into little pieces. That one really hurt.