• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The comic(s) that made you bawl your eyes out
4 4

109 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, RickHigh said:

I was 13 and had just scored a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #4 from a friend at school. As I went to put it in my notebook, the teacher grabbed it and tore it into little pieces. That one really hurt.

:eek:

11 hours ago, RickHigh said:

I was 13 and had just scored a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #4 from a friend at school. As I went to put it in my notebook, the teacher grabbed it and tore it into little pieces. That one really hurt.

I had that with a teacher at grammar school once.  Only a mid-70s DC Special, reprinting SA Green Lantern, but the aggression and contempt really guts you at that age.  Once of those overcompensating, ever so mature, ‘comics are for little kids’ types.  I’d rather collect and read this stuff than have a carcinoma-inducing, several packs a day habit, which was his chosen alternative.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/29/2017 at 11:16 PM, nickwire said:

its weird that animal deaths hit so much harder than people in comics for me, pride of Baghdad and WE3 hit me big time. another lesser known is a back up story in an early marvel fanfare with daredevil and a young blind kid and his dog. I cried like a baby.

Came here to post this.  Marvel Fanfare 8, the Man-Thing cover.  Very touching backup story indeed.

A banged up, well-read Fantastic Four #140.

It was mine ever since I was nine years old.

Going through my comics, I took it out a couple years ago. I turned it over and saw my name written across the top of the back cover. It was in my mom's handwriting. She had just passed away earlier that year. The tears began to flow.

On 4/21/2017 at 1:39 PM, zhamlau said:

New Mutants 60, only time I ever cried reading a comic. I was just a middle school kid but I had already built a huge collection and even a few pages of art. I loved the hobby, I loved the medium. My favorite book was New Mutants, and my favorite character was Cypher. He was a hero I could relate to. His powers were ones of the mind and spirit not god-like strength or invulnerability. He didn't fly or life buses. All other comic heroes have these amazing abilities or tech to shield them. On some level, them going into battle was less brave because of it. They always had protection, they always could use that unique gift to save their butts. Doug had his fists and his ability to just be smarter than anyone he faced. He was the bravest of the mutant superheroes...by a mile...In the issue the main villian pulled a gun on Rahne and was about to shoot her in the back, no question killing her. Doug jumped to push her out of the way taking fire knowing full well he had nothing to protect himself with. He just knew he had to save her. He died saving the woman he loved from certain death. She dismissed his acts like he was a baby before realizing he took a fatal blow for her. He died looking at her saying he was sorry. She held him, and he was gone.

It was the most heroic act possible, by the bravest marvel superhero of all time, dying to save the woman he loved. Before he passed he was the hero i most connected with. After he passed I realized he was the Hero I would most want to be.

Very well written, sir.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

Marvel Team Up 1, when it was reprinted in one of those huge treasuries.. brought a tear

Yup. I recall having a sentimental Christmas Time response to it as a kid when I read it in the Holiday Grab Bag issue in the mid 70s.