• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The comic(s) that made you bawl your eyes out
4 4

109 posts in this topic

Have there been any of note?

ASM #500 gets me every time.  Just read it together with the wifey, and the ending hit us both hard... talk about uplifting yet bittersweet. Tears shed.

P.S. Good news is, she has a much higher opinion of comics now lol

Edited by exitmusicblue

Jimmy Corrigan, The Smartest Kid On Earth

Not tear-inducing but extremely bleak and depressing.

I read it while actually clinically depressed and it had quite a powerful effect on me.

In that respect, probably the most moving comic book story I've ever read.

The death of Ferro Lad crushed me as he was my favorite  new Legionnaire.  Same thing with the death of Invisible Kid a few years later, but I was past the crying stage.

Death of Captain Marvel bought a tear to my eye, even though they kind of telegraphed it a bit.

Timing is everything, but soon after my dog had died I read a Superman where Mr.  Mixfiphilkit    went to Krypton in the past and bought Krypto to earth as a present to his new pal Superman.  Of course his supersensitive ears combined with sudden super powers  caused the pup to run amok.  When he saw Superman wasn't pleased with his gift, Mr. Mix wished him back to Krypton and Supes suddenly realized he'd just condemned his childhood dog to death.

Love and Rockets - the conclusion of the "Love Bunglers" storyline. One of the best stories I've ever read. Cried my eyes out.

I'm not sure if a comic has ever made me cry, but as a lad I always thought Man-Thing #5, "Night of the Laughing Dead," about the clown who commits suicide was pretty sad.

Re: Jimmy Corrigan. Those were always bleak and I remain an admirer of Chris Ware, but as Acme Novelty progressed, it just got more and more downbeat. The humor than ran through the earlier issues seemed to dissipate in later years. I didn’t even read the last one; I got tired of feeling beaten over the head.

Currently I find Seth very emotionally engaging. His work has as much depth and insight as a lengthy novel.

as a 60's kid, sgt. fury was my second fave title behind the spider.  when pam hawley died in #18, i did boohoo.  and the way nick was told, as he was ready to put a ring on her finger, made it worse.  her last words were the cherry on top.

At least misty-eye inducing stories:

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

The Death of Captain Marvel

When I was a little kid, MTIO #34 really made me cry. It was a super simple story about not judging a book (a scary monster) by its cover.  The monster got killed trying to save a bunch of little kids. I haven't re-read it because I doubt it holds up - but man, to a 7 year old, it was a tear-jerker.

I vividly remember reading a comic featuring Superman when I was around 8 (this would be 1973-74) that came out around the holidays. I can't remember the details of the plot except that it featured a bunch of shabby, poor kids who were begging on the street. Superman helped them somehow but the close-up panel of the dirty, poor kids dressed in rags brought tears to my eyes to the point that I actually covered up the panel with coins out of my piggy bank because it made me so sad! It really got to me...wish I could recall what title/issue it was to track it down for (sad) nostalgia sake, I'm thinking maybe it was some kind of Holiday Special since I remember a Christmas theme!?

Edited by Inhuman Fiend

25 minutes ago, Inhuman Fiend said:

I vividly remember reading a comic featuring Superman when I was around 8 (this would be 1973-74) that came out around the holidays. I can't remember the details of the plot except that it featured a bunch of shabby, poor kids who were begging on the street. Superman helped them somehow but the close-up panel of the dirty, poor kids dressed in rags brought tears to my eyes to the point that I actually covered up the panel with coins out of my piggy bank because it made me so sad! It really got to me...wish I could recall what title/issue it was to track it down for (sad) nostalgia sake, I'm thinking maybe it was some kind of Holiday Special since I remember a Christmas theme!?

It's pretty ironic that you chose coins to cover up the poor kids with.