• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This Qualified .5 Tec 31 A Good Resto Candidate?

12 posts in this topic

I have been on the hunt for an "entry level" Tec 31... 

There is a Qualified .5 upcoming in a ComicLink auction...

Do you all think it would make any sense to bid on this book, with that idea of having it restored, if won?

I'm probably not a typical collector in the sense that I don't mind Restored books ... especially if they can help to conserve the book itself for many years the future... and, let's be honest, give a book's cover better eye appeal! (since it's in a CGC holder anyways...)

Or maybe I'm way off-base. I have no idea what kind of grade it might get if it were restored and re-graded? Would it still grade out as a .5 (just w/ a purple level instead of green?) I am not obsessed with the number or market value considerations (not envisioning a flip), although I do think they need to be taken into account for an "investment" of this size ... any opinions welcome (thumbsu

Might be cheaper to buy a restored or micro-trimmed Detect #31 apparent 4.0 range rather than buy a slabbed, married 0.5  and then pay $$$$ for pro resto with perhaps a 2 year wait to receive your restored comic back.

5 hours ago, jabats said:

Do you all think it would make any sense to bid on this book, with that idea of having it restored, if won?

I'm probably not a typical collector in the sense that I don't mind Restored books ... especially if they can help to conserve the book itself for many years the future... and, let's be honest, give a book's cover better eye appeal! (since it's in a CGC holder anyways...)

Or maybe I'm way off-base. I have no idea what kind of grade it might get if it were restored and re-graded? Would it still grade out as a .5 (just w/ a purple level instead of green?) I am not obsessed with the number or market value considerations (not envisioning a flip), although I do think they need to be taken into account for an "investment" of this size ... any opinions welcome (thumbsu

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/search.asp?FocusedOnly=1&where=auctions&title=detective+31&ItemType=CB

the book in question

Really depends on what your goal is.  If you'd like a nice looking Tec 31 and are prepared to shell out a significant amount of dough for the restoration and wait a dog's age for it to be done, then it may be a good idea.  If your thoughts are more along the line of possibly selling it for a profit sometime in the future, I probably wouldn't do it.  

On March 29, 2017 at 8:11 AM, jabats said:

I would keep it as unrestored since the main image of the book is all there.  Also since it's already in the slab, no further handling is done

Too much spine missing, and too ragged otherwise to avoid anything but extensive restoration. I'll leave the more knowledgable to discuss the cost effectiveness, which I would imagine depends somewhat on the final hammer price, but extensive resto is a little too close to recreation for my taste. 

On April 15, 2017 at 9:14 AM, rjpb said:

Too much spine missing, and too ragged otherwise to avoid anything but extensive restoration. I'll leave the more knowledgable to discuss the cost effectiveness, which I would imagine depends somewhat on the final hammer price, but extensive resto is a little too close to recreation for my taste. 

Yeah, so conclusion i take is it's better to be left alone.