• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the story with this Action Comics #1 reprint?

18 posts in this topic

What's the story with this Action Comics #1 reprint?

So I was looking at this listing on eBay...  for an "action comics #1 (1938)." It was listed in the Golden Age section, just sitting there with a $150 starting bid. No other information, no mention of it being a reprint, etc. I thought for sure it was a scam, or that it would never sell. (The seller is a zero-feedback user who created his account March 12, 2017.)

Then the auction ended and there are two bids. Somebody paid $152.50 for the thing. (Apparently.)

So what is it? What Action Comics #1 reprint is worth $152.50? And why? I thought these reprints were worth a few bucks at most.

What's the rundown on all the Action Comics #1 reprints and what they're worth? If somebody posts something like this, are they trying to pull a scam or what?

action1what.JPG

Edited by Doohickamabob

On 30 March 2017 at 0:04 AM, Doohickamabob said:

Here's another one:  Action #1 "Millennium Edition" auction with $500 starting bid ...

Again, how is this worth more than $5 or $10? I don't see it. And again, it's a zero-feedback seller. Who bids on this stuff?

action1-millennium.JPG

That doesn't look anything like my Millennium Edition copy.  

35 minutes ago, Doohickamabob said:

Thanks. Seems like some pretty shady stuff going on with these reprints.

At least something different to the common Famous First Edition scam for us to spot.

2 hours ago, Doohickamabob said:

Thanks. Seems like some pretty shady stuff going on with these reprints.

A few people try to use them in scams (:whatthe: no way! :eyeroll:), but most of them do sell well as what they really are. Otherwise, sure there are people asking ridiculous amounts for some copies, but that should be expected from anything on eBay. :p

As fastballspecial mentioned, the Millennium Edition (the actual one, not the improperly listed junk from some eBay clown(0) that was posted in this thread) sells very well and there is no way it could ever be used to scam anyone with an IQ higher than their shoe size.

Even the most recent reprint, properly described, sells pretty well.

6 hours ago, Philflound said:

All Action #1 reprints seem to be selling for much higher money than guide, or than they should be.

That first part is irrelevant because the OPG is a bad joke, but for how much "should" they be selling?

21 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
7 hours ago, Philflound said:

All Action #1 reprints seem to be selling for much higher money than guide, or than they should be.

That first part is irrelevant because the OPG is a bad joke, but for how much "should" they be selling?

Now I'm not a betting man, but something tells me that @Philflound may at this moment be thinking of a useful four letter word beginning with c and ending in t. Yes, that's it. Clot

16 hours ago, Philflound said:

I have one for sale on eBay now, so DAMN GET IT GOING!

10 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Even the most recent reprint, properly described, sells pretty well.

Thanks for that link; that's a good overview of the actual market value. Looks like most nicer raw copies are selling in the $20-$40 range, with a single CGC 9.6 going for a premium 3x above that. That's a long way off from the $500 some zero-feedbacker is trying to get for his raw copy...

Anyway it's an ongoing curiosity. I am wary of the 0-feedback sellers who keep dumping their raw copies with minimal info ("Action Comics #1 1938") in the hopes that somebody with bad eyesight and an overdeveloped sense of wishful thinking will get an itchy bidding finger.

Yes, it seems that people are always trying to take advantage of the unknowledgeable instead of being honest with what they are representing. Trying to make the quick buck and as much of it as possible.

Sadly, when talking about Action 1, there are so many reprints to choose from now that scammers are spoiled for choice. :frown:

When you do an ebay search for Action #1 reprints, just set your preferences for Auction Only.... and you won't get all the loonys and their asking prices :popcorn:

Yea, you prob already knew that..... but someone out there may not