• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why bother?
1 1

55 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

No, it's not.   Look at February-   Only 5 of the Top 20 books were Marvel titles, two of which were Star Wars, two were Inhumans vs. X-Men and the third was Amazing Spiderman.  

Meanwhile, The Avengers was 53, Totally Awesome Hulk was 121, Captain America Sam Wilson was 122.  

Why is Avengers-their hot movie property, so low in sales, and it's clear the forced 'Legacy' characters are not working.   Alonso should be clearing out his desk. 

No doubt it will happen soon. He is the worst editor in chief Marvel ever had! Even Joe Q and Jim Shooter had a better vision of what Marvel was. Think about this for a minute.

Marvel is the king of the movies, and when fans go want to buy those characters they see on the big screen they got the unknown legacy characters.

This was Marvel`'s chance to introduce new readers because of the movies. A once in a lifetime opportunity and Alonso did an epic fail.

56 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

No doubt it will happen soon. He is the worst editor in chief Marvel ever had! Even Joe Q and Jim Shooter had a better vision of what Marvel was. Think about this for a minute.

Marvel is the king of the movies, and when fans go want to buy those characters they see on the big screen they got the unknown legacy characters.

This was Marvel`'s chance to introduce new readers because of the movies. A once in a lifetime opportunity and Alonso did an epic fail.

Benefit of the doubt question:  Was it all him, or were higher powers (cough- Disney- cough), pulling his strings?    

6 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Benefit of the doubt question:  Was it all him, or were higher powers (cough- Disney- cough), pulling his strings?    

Very interesting question. hm

It does smell like Marvel got Disneyfied.

The same thing happened to ESPN. 

Old-time fans rather have the ESPN of the 1990s much more than the now Disney owned ESPN.

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

agreed

Made zero sense what they were doing.

I hardly care, I still have 3 Marvel books in my pull (Daredevil, Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye) and one DC (Nightwing), while I pick up a few random issues of books for both publishers. However, my pull is vastly indies, books like Paper Girls, Monstress, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Mirror, Arclight (and whatever related 8house books), Island, Kill or Be Killed, 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank, and some others I can't think of right now. I try to keep up pretty well with my indie comics as my reading habits can be pretty poor and neglecting, but the last book of the big two that I actually read month to month was Vision.

The Big 2 lure me back every now and then due to nostalgia but as I get older I notice the same tricks being used again and again.

Death isn't really an option for such valuable properties and so the stories just don't hold the same weight as it might in more independent books.

Edited by Carl Elvis

7 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

No, it's not.   Look at February-   Only 5 of the Top 20 books were Marvel titles, two of which were Star Wars, two were Inhumans vs. X-Men and the third was Amazing Spiderman.  

Meanwhile, The Avengers was 53, Totally Awesome Hulk was 121, Captain America Sam Wilson was 122.  

Why is Avengers-their hot movie property, so low in sales, and it's clear the forced 'Legacy' characters are not working.   Alonso should be clearing out his desk. 

The simplest answer usually is the correct one.  So in my opinion I think the sales are suffering is because of a lack of alignment. 

Go see Thor in latest Avengers / Thor movies - go pick up a current Thor title its not him its Lady Thor.

Go see Hulk in Avengers / Hulk / Thor movies - go pick up a current Hulk title its not him its totally awesome hulk.

Go see Captain America  in Avenger / Captain America movies - go pick up a Cap current title its not really him, its Sam Wilson, well he's kinda there but always was a Hydra agent.

Go see Wolverine in the latest X-men / Logan movies - go pick up a current Wolverine title its not him its X-23, he's dead but there is a old man Logan around that is kinda him from another universe.

IP's I agree are the darlings and as far as I see things Marvel has their heads up you know where because nothing you see on or in the MCU even remotely tie into current books. 

Plus what they did to the X-men last few years I'm out Marvel.  Like the authority said I'm out.....hello Indies2c

After Moon Knight ends I'll have no more Marvel pulls each month. They completely lost me by trying to attract a young SJW crowd, which doesn't buy comics at the rate of us middle aged guys who want to read some continuity with the books we've collected our entire lives

Edited by Lonzilla

23 hours ago, Chadwick said:

Get an iPad mini, nexus 7, or large smart phone (kindle blows). I was the same way, I couldn't read anything without the tactile aspects involved. There's an app called iComix that I tried out last year, while I was in hospital for cancer treatments, and I have to say it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Having access to my catalog without having to dig through long boxes or carry trades with me is great for reading on the run, and it also allows for reading in bed after my wife goes to sleep. There are plenty of other apps available with free access to tons of content. I've cut down on what moderns I buy hard copies of (I support mainly indies now) but can keep up on other runs for a lot cheaper. Isn't spider-man like a $10 cover price now or something crazy?

It's not the screen size, it's the whole aspect of reading a comic on the computer.  I prefer paper, call me old school.  Can't read books on computer either.  I have a very nice kindle I use as a boat anchor.

I can't believe how little I care about the new books coming out.

My LCS asks me why I am not getting in on the new X-Men books... but I simply have no faith in new products. The writing has been bad. 

Get rid of the original time displaced X-Men. I don't need multiples on one character

Bring back the original Wolverine. Old Man Logan makes me feel like an Old Man Comic Book Subscriber.

Bring back Cyclops and stop treating him like a villain. What a load of garbage that is! 

Bring back the original Jean Grey as well.

Lots more ideas, but it's not like anyone will read this and changes will happen! lol!

15 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Very interesting question. hm

It does smell like Marvel got Disneyfied.

The same thing happened to ESPN. 

Old-time fans rather have the ESPN of the 1990s much more than the now Disney owned ESPN.

True I hate ESPN now. I wont even watch it anymore. Why couldn't they just do it gradually instead all at once.

Disney really doesn't care about the comics. They don't make much revenue its the movies they want.

1 hour ago, Lonzilla said:

After Moon Knight ends I'll have no more Marvel pulls each month. They completely lost me by trying to attract a young SJW crowd, which doesn't buy comics at the rate of us middle aged guys who want to read some continuity with the books we've collected our entire lives

They are finding out two things about that crowd that they don't like business-wise.

1. They don't spend money like the old time steady customers did.

2. They are not loyal like their long-time fans were, as in they are fickle and will jump to the next thing.

So now Marvel is trying to win back all its old fans because the SJW's don't support comics like the old customers did.

Great article here how Marvel is going to cancel tons of new titles and try to fix the ship.

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/marvel-comics-cancels-ghost-rider-possibly-dozens-more

But haven't the X-Men always been at their best when the stories were about a struggling minority fighting for their rights and existence... 

Everything feels like it swings so far one way or the other. How about they tell stories that fit the characters well? Social justice stories work fine for the X-Men as long as it isn't an entire diet situated around that one morsel.

I blame Disney for ESPN and Marvel. It is obvious to me and anyone else that has their eyes open. What I want to know is why does Disney want to bring politics and social pc into sports and comics. Are we ignorant heathen that needed more exposure to that ? Sports and comics are an escape from that very world. I don't want them mixed and I suspect I'm not alone judging from ESPN and Marvel losing money so fast

2 hours ago, kav said:

This article completely misses the mark on why Marvel comics are not doing well.  They are not doing well because of substitute heroes, not social justice warriors.  The fans want to read the adventures of Donald Blake as Thor, Steve Rogers as Captain America, Tony Stark as Iron Man, not Jane Foster, Sam Wilson, and Riri Williams.  Marvel and DC have always tackled politics in their comics and many of those story lines are the most critically acclaimed.

They don't come more liberal than Steve Rogers.  Marvel has done a good job morphing Tony Stark in a conservative.  They don't need to lose those angles, they just need to bring back those characters and put them front and center.

Edited by rjrjr

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

But haven't the X-Men always been at their best when the stories were about a struggling minority fighting for their rights and existence... 

Everything feels like it swings so far one way or the other. How about they tell stories that fit the characters well? Social justice stories work fine for the X-Men as long as it isn't an entire diet situated around that one morsel.

Bingo.  Fans want to read stories with the characters they know and the stories should fit the characters.  X-Men is completely about the struggle of minorities.  To make them just another hero team like Avengers would be silly.

53 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

Marvel and DC have always tackled politics in their comics and many of those story lines are the most critically acclaimed.

I think it's the extent to which they've done it.  After the junkie issue of GL they didn't make junkies in every single DC title for the next 5 years.  People get sick of being preached to.  WE GOT IT-DRUGS ARE BAD.

24 minutes ago, kav said:

I think it's the extent to which they've done it.  After the junkie issue of GL they didn't make junkies in every single DC title for the next 5 years.  People get sick of being preached to.  WE GOT IT-DRUGS ARE BAD.

Exactly