• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freestate Comicon -- October 21, 2017 (Lawrence, KS)

33 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, celluloidbuff said:

Had my tickets in Monday's mail.  Sorry for delayed post.  Looking forward to this.  Going to miss the preview though.

Glad they arrived! I am sure there will still be plenty of good stuff left for Saturday!

19 hours ago, larryfk said:

Nice.  Will hopefully be there at 7pm on the dot.  I'll be the really big dude looking for Silver Age Marvel stuff:)

Were you the guy who looked at my ASM #41 with the moisture stains on the back cover?

It was a really fun show! I was glad to meet @celluloidbuff and @larryfk and really appreciate them stopping by the booth! 

The crowd did seem a bit smaller than past editions, but this was only my third time at one of these shows so my sample size isn’t huge. This was the first year that the creators were in a completely separate space, so that probably affected traffic at least a bit. 

There were plenty of good books in the room, with some GA (especially at @SSkufan‘s booth), a lot of great SA keys, and plenty of bronze and copper goodies to dig through. @D Stuart had an impressive wall, and there were a few others I saw in my very brief and infrequent trips out from behind the table. I picked up a couple of books for my collection, a few more for my wall, and hit a number I was happy with. I was also thrilled that the rain held off long enough for me to load out without getting soaked, though the first part of the ride home was a little scary...

Looking forward to the next one! Hopefully there will be a spring edition that falls on a weekend that I can do it. 

168EA6DC-FE05-41F5-AA79-4CEDA5E4DAE4.jpeg

I enjoyed the show quite a bit, as did my nephew and his buddies that tagged along.  Everybody in our group founds lots of goodies.  Nephew filled out his Spawn collection, even picking up a Phoenix Comic Con limited edition (500 print run) cover slabbed 9.8 with a cool cover by Michael Golden / Todd McFarlane.  That was his "big get" for the show.

I picked up a boatload of blank sketch covers from multiple vendors, and a few more goodies (ASM 700 collage cover, Darth Vader 3 1st print) from mysterio's booth.  I struck out in my quest for Star Wars action figure variants (slabbed or raw) that I didn't already have, but I did pick up a few odds and ends like some Granov ASM covers and some Alex Ross Star Wars covers.  We also ate at a local diner and visited BOOM comics before we blew town.  

Word is that there will be a spring show. I will post the date once I have it, and if anyone else hears about it please post it. :wishluck: that it doesn't conflict with Dallas Fan Expo like last year...

Edited by mysterio

On 10/23/2017 at 6:14 PM, celluloidbuff said:

I enjoyed the show quite a bit, as did my nephew and his buddies that tagged along.  Everybody in our group founds lots of goodies.  Nephew filled out his Spawn collection, even picking up a Phoenix Comic Con limited edition (500 print run) cover slabbed 9.8 with a cool cover by Michael Golden / Todd McFarlane.  That was his "big get" for the show.

I picked up a boatload of blank sketch covers from multiple vendors, and a few more goodies (ASM 700 collage cover, Darth Vader 3 1st print) from mysterio's booth.  I struck out in my quest for Star Wars action figure variants (slabbed or raw) that I didn't already have, but I did pick up a few odds and ends like some Granov ASM covers and some Alex Ross Star Wars covers.  We also ate at a local diner and visited BOOM comics before we blew town.  

Glad to hear you guys had fun, celluloidbuff.  We also got some awesome stuff at mysterio's booth and had a heck of a day overall.  Isn't the BOOM shop something else?  They must have 10,000+ sq ft of space there.  It has been fun watching them fill it up over the past couple years, and they probably still have space to add a lot more.