• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hold off for a new Slab?

27 posts in this topic

Hold off for a new Slab?

This probably applies more to BA-Modern stuff but do you find yourself holding out from buying a book as you would rather have a copy in the latest slab? I know I do simply because the books really pop in the new slabs. I'm even upgrading existing copies that I have as the books show much better and the labels are actually starting to grow on me. Now the format of the new boards is a whole different issue, still can't stand them. Discuss. 

I'll buy a book in an older slab but will turn around and have it reholdered.  In the new cases, books seem better stabilized, visibility is awesome and the protection is the best its ever been.  As for the boards...  I'm used to them now and like them.  I just hope to see more of the regulars return! 

Edited by comicquant

I hate the new slabs and attempt to avoid purchasing them as much as possible.  The books are too hard to remove from the outer well.

I suppose if you're leaving them in the tomb, then the new slabs look better.

37 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I hate the new slabs and attempt to avoid purchasing them as much as possible.  The books are too hard to remove from the outer well.

Pick up one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Shard-Keychain-Tool-22-01769/dp/B002ZK45IQ

Start at the top of the slab and just work your way around - yeah, it's a bit more cumbersome than the old slabs, but it really isn't a big deal once you've done it a couple of times.

35 minutes ago, mschmidt said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

Pick up one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Shard-Keychain-Tool-22-01769/dp/B002ZK45IQ

Start at the top of the slab and just work your way around - yeah, it's a bit more cumbersome than the old slabs, but it really isn't a big deal once you've done it a couple of times.

Which point do you use for going down the edges?

1 hour ago, mschmidt said:
5 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Which point do you use for going down the edges?

The pry bar edge to the left.

Thanks - it is so cheap that I might as well give it a try.

10 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Found something a bit more practical...

New CGC Case Cracking Kit

I miss the old boards and the old slabs.... The changes in CGC are taking me time to get used to.

Trying to get back into posting here more often, but it just seems to be lacking... I miss sharing in my collection journey with others on here with the same passion

While I do like the way books present in the new slab I try to avoid them.

1) Storage. They are thicker and I get less books into a box. This really matters for the safety deposit box. I also don't like to cram a new case into the middle of a bunch of older slabs. It doesn't feel 'right' .

2) Puddling. I used to be able to fix this 'problem' by sliding an envelope through the side of the slab. I can't slide an envelope, or anything else, into the side of the new slab.

21 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

1) Storage. They are thicker and I get less books into a box. This really matters for the safety deposit box. I also don't like to cram a new case into the middle of a bunch of older slabs. It doesn't feel 'right' .

2) Puddling. I used to be able to fix this 'problem' by sliding an envelope through the side of the slab. I can't slide an envelope, or anything else, into the side of the new slab.

I think this post proves that I'm mostly thinking about sex all the time...., :eyeroll:

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

I think this post proves that I'm mostly thinking about sex all the time...., :eyeroll:

Good for you but I don't understand your implication toward my post ????  Please advise. 

5 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:
7 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Good for you but I don't understand your implication toward my post ????  Please advise. 

48 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Get a room