• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about selling comics on eBay

35 posts in this topic

As some people have seen, I have almost 12 long boxes I need to unload. I'm trying to figure out how to put them on eBay but I have never been a major eBay seller, so I have a few logistical questions...

1. How are you figuring out shipping? It wants me to have the comic already boxed, weighed, and ready to ship? How do you figure out what to tell them if you may not have that information? Especially if the customer is going to combine shipping? Speaking of...

2. How do you except combined shipping? I'm guessing some of this may be if I had an eBay store, but how to I get to the point where a customer adds items in their cart and has to click "Request total from seller"? At this point I believe I could put all the comics in one package and calculate an exact shipping charge.

Edited by Meeklo

So I found where to create combined shipping costs...either flat or calculated. I'm thinking a $3 flat fee plus .25 for each additional comic shipped Media Mail would work fine. Especially if all I'm mailing out is $1 books.

I already have them organized...all I have to do is take pictures and create the ad and mail them off. Most of the hard work has already been done so I could sell them on here.

I would not use media mail - not allowed for comics - you are mostly safe but if caught is can be an issue.....

if if you are going for dollar books - I would group in larger lots - use FedEx or ups ground - and try to move in bulk. Or use usps priority medium(they have a flat box that can hold a lot of books)........

the effort to move single dollar books on eBay HURTS. 

You can ship 1 1st class comic, even in a flat box for $2.77 up to 8oz if using the paypal/ebay shipping. You can probably put 5-10 comics in a flat rate priority padded envelope which goes for $6 or so.

My suggestion is probably to sell in lots and charge flat rate. Even the large flat rate box will probably fit 15-20 books for like $15-18. Maybe medium flat rate box. 

2 hours ago, Meeklo said:

I already have them organized...all I have to do is take pictures and create the ad and mail them off. Most of the hard work has already been done so I could sell them on here.

The fees are going to eat you up though. You're selling a comic for $1 but paying fees on $3.77 because you have to pay the fee for shipping.

You should charge exact shipping plus like $1.50 handling for a package. That way you'll get people to buy more items to save on the shipping/handling. The $1.50 goes a long way for your cost of printer ink, paper, tape, packing material, etc.

If you are selling comics that have some value individually, it might be worth your time to sell those on ebay, but for dollar books, it will be a huge PITA.  I've been on ebay for 15 years and mostly bought, and still do, but about 2 years ago, I started selling some things that I had lying around that I didn't want anymore and actually did pretty well.  I then listed, over 6 months or so, a bunch of comics.  Nothing special, but a full run of New 52 Batman and Detective in 9.2 or better condition, and I was extremely disappointed in how my comic sales turned out.  There is so much competition on ebay, in my experience, if you are selling common comics from the last 20 years or so, by the time you factor in taking pictures, writing a decent description, packaging, printing a mailing label and finally getting the item to the post office, even if you place zero value on your time, you would still be better off taking them to your LCS and selling them in one fell swoop.  Also, bear in mind that once in a while, a potential buyer will have a question about a certain comic or want additional pictures.  It takes time to answer questions and take and  send additional pictures.  I still buy comics on ebay, but I will never sell another one there.  Good luck whichever path you choose!

3 hours ago, porcupine48 said:
3 hours ago, Meeklo said:

:gossip: I'm not in Canada...yet...

c'mon over hoser!

Bad influence. :eyeroll:

if those boxes are full of runs or bulks of titles, your best bet is to group them by title and or run. Then list them on ebay in auction with an opening price around $0.50/book for less popular titles, $0.75-$1/book for more popular titles. I usually do $10 auctions for 12-15 books in a run/lot. 

Don't sell dollar books on ebay. You can't make any money at all. Assume you sell a book for a dollar, and charge $2.77 for shipping, for a total of $3.77.

listing fee: 30 cents (although the first 50 books you list per month are free, and if the book sells, you get the 30 cents back)

final value fee: 10% of entire transaction, including shipping = 37 cents

since ebay charges you fees on your exact shipping cost, you're losing money when you ship = 27 cents

paypal: 30 cents + 2.9% = 41 cents

total cost to sell and ship that dollar book: $1.05

Congratulations, you spent time and effort to list and pack the book and you at the end, you paid a nickel to do so. This assumes your book sells, if not, you paid 30 cents for the privilege of listing on ebay. Granted, the money works out a little better if you sell multiple books to a single buyer, but in the end, you're doing all this work for the equivalent of a McDonald's meal.

Segment the books into 10 or 12 book lots, sell the lots for $15 with free shipping. Ship Media Mail using reclaimed packing materials and you can probably upgrade to a Large size McD's meal.