• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iron Man #55 sells for $5,100

39 posts in this topic

Wasn't there a 5k sale a couple of years or so ago for a 9.8 with exceptionally nice registration?

5 hours ago, batmiesta said:

My thoughts are someone has way too much money. 

Yup.  The current widespread unaffordability is making it a very cheap hobby for me at present.

20 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:
5 hours ago, batmiesta said:

My thoughts are someone has way too much money. 

Yup.  The current widespread unaffordability is making it a very cheap hobby for me at present.

Well, if you wait a few years until all of the movie hype has passed, I am sure you can pick up a copy for less than half that price.  :tonofbricks:

Especially since there are already 59 copies CGC graded at 9.8 and counting.  And on top of that, there would also be the 9.8's that's been graded by the other company.  far too many copies of an otherwise common book to maintain that kind of pricing level long term.  hm

16 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Me too Paul, its been months since I have bought a book, just not willing to pay the ridiculous prices being asked for certain books.

2 hours ago, newshane said:

I remember when this was a $500 book...

10 years ago?

I purchased a nice 9.6 in 2012 for $500, just months before the end credits scene of Avengers. I sold it late 2013 for $2,500.

I  think it is ridiculous it is now half the value of #1.

1 hour ago, World Devourer said:

I purchased a nice 9.6 in 2012 for $500, just months before the end credits scene of Avengers. I sold it late 2013 for $2,500.

I  think it is ridiculous it is now half the value of #1.

A very good deal for a 9.6, as at the time a typical 9.4 price was $450 to $500. 

Comic-link sold a 9.8 in January for like 6500 and then sold another in February for 6100. This book is still steadily increasing, but more and more copies are being sold. It will increase again once the movie is closer to premier. IT will be a 10k 9.8 book during that phase.

I am glad I still have my 3 9.8s and the rest of the crew, i.e. 9.0s - 9.6s.

R_H

42 minutes ago, Revival_Hoarder1 said:

Comic-link sold a 9.8 in January for like 6500 and then sold another in February for 6100. This book is still steadily increasing, but more and more copies are being sold. It will increase again once the movie is closer to premier. IT will be a 10k 9.8 book during that phase.

I am glad I still have my 3 9.8s and the rest of the crew, i.e. 9.0s - 9.6s.

R_H

Yes, but do you have any idea where this book will be in say 5 or 10 years from now? 

Just curious as to whether this book is a true vintage collectible that continues to appreciate through time in the market, or whether this is nothing more than a speculative gamble where you can win only if you time the market perfectly and get out before it's too late.  hm

Guy on a buy/sell app had some comics for sale...500 comics for $150.  I met up with him last week and put my hand in one of the boxes, sticking out was an Iron Man 55.  Without looking through the rest of the box I said "I'll take this box" and I grabbed another box with some Luke Cage/Iron Fists/Power Man, and a small run of captain america as well as a bunch of modern keys, ASM 361, Eternal Warrior 4 ect.. Paid $240 for everything. I grade the Iron Man 55 a 7.0-7.5 ish with white pages.  

I was supposed to meet up with him this morning at his house but after 3 texts he never responded...more than likely sold the other 10 boxes he had I havent seen yet to someone else.  Its was all 12, 20 cent covers all the way up to the late 90's early 2000s.

Whatever the IR 55 grades out at, I'll keep it.  

On 3/31/2017 at 9:06 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Wasn't there a 5k sale a couple of years or so ago for a 9.8 with exceptionally nice registration?

I was the buyer of that 9.8 Suscha News Pedigree book back in 2014.  I always been a Thanos fan boy and that was the first book after years of hiatus from comic book collecting as a child.