• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eerie #17 Question

18 posts in this topic

Eerie #17 Question

How scarce is this book compared to some of the more difficult Warren mags? I ask because it seems that CGC copies around VF are obtainable near guide and if you're willing to pay it seems copies are out there. 

Sadly I really just dig the cover and don't care about the scarcity but I was really curious if it's that difficult of a book???

Eerie 17 is not incredibly rare per se, it was distributed in certain markets. Not unlike Creepy 32, or Vampirella 3. Of course in the age of the internet hardly anything is truly scarce.

The key to finding Warren's in high grade is the challenge.

I've noticed you've bought some nice Warren horror lately, good for you. They are awesome books,and amazingly affordable. Someday they won't be so affordable. The art and stories by the greatest in comics.

7 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Eerie 17 is not incredibly rare per se, it was distributed in certain markets. Not unlike Creepy 32, or Vampirella 3. Of course in the age of the internet hardly anything is truly scarce.

The key to finding Warren's in high grade is the challenge.

I've noticed you've bought some nice Warren horror lately, good for you. They are awesome books,and amazingly affordable. Someday they won't be so affordable. The art and stories by the greatest in comics.

Magazines in general have got my attention more these days. I've always collected some but lately, a bit more. The rare ones like Heidi Saha or Eerie #1 or Shock Illustrated #1 are always on my radar (or were in some cases).

How do you rank the difficulty order for Eerie #17, Vampi #3 and the Creepy #32? I actually didn't even pay attention to the Creepy #32 being scarcer until I saw your post and looked one up. I see them all available at a given time just with higher prices attached. Which one if any is actually existing in smaller numbers?

5 hours ago, N e r V said:

Magazines in general have got my attention more these days. I've always collected some but lately, a bit more. The rare ones like Heidi Saha or Eerie #1 or Shock Illustrated #1 are always on my radar (or were in some cases).

How do you rank the difficulty order for Eerie #17, Vampi #3 and the Creepy #32? I actually didn't even pay attention to the Creepy #32 being scarcer until I saw your post and looked one up. I see them all available at a given time just with higher prices attached. Which one if any is actually existing in smaller numbers?

That's a hard question to answer.(shrug)

Eerie 17 was one of the first Eerie issues to go out of stock from Captain Company, Warren's sales arm, that took up a large part of the back of most of his books. No idea why it was the first one to go but, it dropped out in the early 70's. 32 is just a really desirable book with the classic Frazzetta cover and the Adams /Ellison team up.

As you may have determined, all are books that are accessible if you are willing to pay the asking price for your desired condition.  My experience is that Creepy 32 was hardest for me to find in my desired condition (VF/NM).  Next, was Eerie 17 (VF) followed by Vampirella 3 (VF/NM).

Hope this helps.

On 4/1/2017 at 4:06 AM, oakman29 said:

My own experience has been that whatever magazines Warren  was no longer selling as back issues when it closed its doors in early 1983 are now relatively scarce. The other issues were for years (decades?) available from Warren's warehouse stock.

The back issue ad in Vampirella 112 or any Warren magazine cover dated February 1983 would therefore provide a very good indication of which issues would be the most difficult to find these days.

:smile:

On 4/1/2017 at 11:27 AM, N e r V said:

Magazines in general have got my attention more these days. I've always collected some but lately, a bit more.

Huh?! But I thought you had an incredibly massive collection of magazines, i.e. complete or nearly complete runs of everything from TV Guide to Life, Saturday Evening Post, Look, Collier'sTime and Newsweek?

???

36 minutes ago, Hepcat said:

Huh?! But I thought you had an incredibly massive collection of magazines, i.e. complete or nearly complete runs of everything from TV Guide to Life, Saturday Evening Post, Look, Collier'sTime and Newsweek?

???

I do actually. A lot of stuff has been in storage though. I've started to order boxes for those extra big magazines through Bags Unlimited to try and get things back in order.

No I was referring to the fact I'm placing more effort in getting stuff I don't have or in some cases never owned. Like the recent Heidi Saha magazine or Eerie pubs. books which I only recently (thanks to Bounty Coders thread) have started to collect. There also things like the Eerie #1 ash-can that I used to own but want back. Collecting in my world is never ending. Here's some of my non comic type items.

d5e364cc1a11646f9066c163bd9f562c0cc7cc17b30161116b95c7b45a1e88da6c0f13c2d7630e78e6e36f5811856faf956ac9bab5495ba9a35726eb145164186098c8b0519fe2515b683230a24fa88131e160186298c4b65eed9cd248ddcc85833b7ea09db26561e26179b7c62ba45bb1a5997060eec9b9

Edited by N e r V

3 hours ago, Jayman said:

It is harder to find a nicely squared, centered Vampi 3 though, a lot of them have that nasty miss cut.

Nice white on the covers too is a challenge.

Edited by N e r V

3 hours ago, N e r V said:

I do actually. A lot of stuff has been in storage though. I've started to order boxes for those extra big magazines through Bags Unlimited to try and get things back in order.

It sounds as if you made an absolutely massive purchase of general interest magazines some years ago but you've not even sorted through what you actually have.

???

miscellaneous 

On 4/3/2017 at 10:40 AM, oakman29 said:

Jayman is a pretty good authority on Horror mags in general, I'm just a student of his teachings.(worship)

:blush: Thanks but I'd bet you know more than me at this point! You've been dabbling for quite some time now yourself! 

6 hours ago, Jayman said:

:blush: Thanks but I'd bet you know more than me at this point! You've been dabbling for quite some time now yourself! 

Let's just say that I know who to go to when I need help. :whistle: