• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The BIG 4000
1 1

55 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Wow. As a kid of the 70's I think half of the top ten may have been baseball players. 

Reggie Jackson, Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Nolan Ryan and several more candidates. 

Was LeBron first?

Actually, it was MJ.  Here's the top 10:

America's 10 Favorite Athletes

Michael Jordan 
LeBron James 
Tom Brady 
Stephen Curry 
Peyton Manning 
Lionel Messi 
Aaron Rodgers 
Cristiano Ronaldo 
Muhammad Ali 
Kobe Bryant

And not to hijack Gino's thread any more than I already have ... but if you listen to ESPN, it's pretty clear that MLB has joined the NHL in pariah land.  I assume they're just responding to ratings and listener interest. 

On 4/1/2017 at 11:10 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

The BIG 4000

Hey there fellow fans of the GA!!!

I am not one to particularly pay attention to or even put value on post counts but I just realized that this is my 4000th post and I wanted to make sure it was right here in the GA forum!!

Since I joined in early April 2013 it looks like I am averaging about 1K posts per year (once again not that it matters simply an observation)

The CGC boards, in particular the GA section, has become a major part of my life and a great source of joy for me that I am so very grateful that I discovered and joined. 

I am making a thread to simply say THANK YOU to all the AWESOME boardies and passionate comic book enthusiasts I have had the absolute pleasure of talking to, sharing and dealing with, and learning from over these past 4 years. 

Cheers to all of you from the bottom of my heart!! Here's to another phenomenal 4 yrs (and hopefully seeing the Indians become World Series Champions along the way it never hurts to dream right :bigsmile: :wishluck:

Thanks again folks you all are ROCK STARs to me, :headbang:

See you out there freinds, Gino (and all of my exclamation points!!!!!!!!!)

Hey Gino. I noticed that you had clocked in at 4,000 posts, but didn't know the party was already raging! 

Post counts may not "mean" much, but 4,000 is certainly a great excuse to raise our glasses to the Ginius (genius -- see what I did there) of Gino!! Your enthusiasm, generosity, and knowledge are a true credit to these boards.

All the way from my hometown, may I present a small token of food heaven:

ginos_east_smaller.thumb.jpg.179108c67b73c0e1f842a7bb8dc3eada.jpg

And as the sign says, Gino delivers!!!

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

And not to hijack Gino's thread any more than I already have ... but if you listen to ESPN, it's pretty clear that MLB has joined the NHL in pariah land.  I assume they're just responding to ratings and listener interest. 

Oh hijack away brother!! 

I really didn't think or even intend for this thread to stay on page 1 for more than a day it was simply meant to be a thanks to all my GA boardie buds :)

I have the evening off of work (normally work nights) as i had a CPR class today so i'm sitting here flipping back and forth between the Tribe and the Cavs (more time spent on the Indians) and like the direction we've taken.

I am a child of the 80s and have to say i'm surprised as well by only 3 MLB players if it's a comprehensive list!! That being said in today's fast paced world I think younger folks lack the attention span to enjoy baseball the way it is meant to be enjoyed but that's my opinion. The sports world of today simply has too many, "talking heads" I remember going to the library I would always pick up (Gosh Darnit Elvis Andrus just went yard on us sorry that's me being upset in real time haha!!) anyways i would always grab something from the Science or science fiction section and i would also grab a sports biography. Rick i remember writing a paper or something in like 3rd or 4th grade about the Big Red Machine after reading a book about J. Bench. I'm getting sidetracked...

Yes 3 is crazy you gotta link to that Tony I wouldn't mind seeing the list myself? Any chance Bo Jackson made the list? What an athlete i had at least 3 posters of him on my wall growing up and he didn't even play for my favorite teams!!

18 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Hey Gino. I noticed that you had clocked in at 4,000 posts, but didn't know the party was already raging! 

Post counts may not "mean" much, but 4,000 is certainly a great excuse to raise our glasses to the Ginius (genius -- see what I did there) of Gino!! Your enthusiasm, generosity, and knowledge are a true credit to these boards.

All the way from my hometown, may I present a small token of food heaven:

ginos_east_smaller.thumb.jpg.179108c67b73c0e1f842a7bb8dc3eada.jpg

And as the sign says, Gino delivers!!!

? that's awesome!!!! is that Chi town? I think my brother got me a shirt from there many holidays ago my fat butt doesn't fit in it anymore but i got it around here somewhere if it is...

Oh and a slice or 6... :takeit:

Your widespread and well-known, Gino.  This is a restaurant in Muskogee, Oklahoma that I have eaten at many times.  Muskogee is closer to Tulsa and a couple of hours from where I live in OKC.  How much do you pay that guy in the chef suit to stand outside throughout the year and amazingly he never flinches and is always there.  It is good food by the way.

o.jpg

48 minutes ago, telerites said:

Your widespread and well-known, Gino.  This is a restaurant in Muskogee, Oklahoma that I have eaten at many times.  Muskogee is closer to Tulsa and a couple of hours from where I live in OKC.  How much do you pay that guy in the chef suit to stand outside throughout the year and amazingly he never flinches and is always there.  It is good food by the way.

o.jpg

Added to the bucket list!!!

Just let me know and I'll drive up and buy your meal.  

And nothing to do with this but my OCD noticed my post should have said "You're widespread..." not "Your..."  Stupid auto-accept on phone.  As the son of a grammar teacher, I can't help but be OCD on grammar.  :sorry:

17 hours ago, telerites said:

Just let me know and I'll drive up and buy your meal.  

And nothing to do with this but my OCD noticed my post should have said "You're widespread..." not "Your..."  Stupid auto-accept on phone.  As the son of a grammar teacher, I can't help but be OCD on grammar.  :sorry:

hahaha i can appreciate thag my phone autocorrects that one all the time and it bugs me as well. 

Hey brother i may take you up on that someday!!! 

On 4/5/2017 at 10:43 PM, gino2paulus2 said:

I am a child of the 80s and have to say i'm surprised as well by only 3 MLB players if it's a comprehensive list!! That being said in today's fast paced world I think younger folks lack the attention span to enjoy baseball the way it is meant to be enjoyed but that's my opinion. The sports world of today simply has too many, "talking heads" I remember going to the library I would always pick up (Gosh Darnit Elvis Andrus just went yard on us sorry that's me being upset in real time haha!!) anyways i would always grab something from the Science or science fiction section and i would also grab a sports biography. Rick i remember writing a paper or something in like 3rd or 4th grade about the Big Red Machine after reading a book about J. Bench. I'm getting sidetracked...

Yes 3 is crazy you gotta link to that Tony I wouldn't mind seeing the list myself? Any chance Bo Jackson made the list? What an athlete i had at least 3 posters of him on my wall growing up and he didn't even play for my favorite teams!!

I can't seem to find a link to the whole poll, just the top 10 in this story:  http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19074938/where-all-mlb-superstars-gone

I think baseball has a huge problem with pace of play.  A good part of it is due, I think, to how long the commercial breaks have become between innings.  And in the late innings, we get a parade of relief pitchers with a commercial break each time.  I may not be remembering correctly, but I think it wasn't that long ago that a relief pitcher would be zipped in on a motorized scooter and the announcers would keep talking about the game while he warmed up.  Starting playoff and World Series games so late in the evening eastern time is also not a good way to get young fans to watch.  People raved about Kershaw's relief appearance in the playoffs last year, but I think it occurred at something like 1 am eastern, so how many people actually saw it?

And, then, there's just the fact that tastes change, I guess, but it's kind of jarring that ESPN probably devotes more time to speculation about the NFL draft than it does to the start of the baseball season. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

And, then, there's just the fact that tastes change, I guess, but it's kind of jarring that ESPN probably devotes more time to speculation about the NFL draft than it does to the start of the baseball season. 

And there's something wrong with that (shrug)  The last baseball team I followed was the '74 Reds.  I still have many of my cards from then and think I have managed to out together the Reds team set.  Loved that bubblegum, really I did.

On 4/8/2017 at 3:55 PM, telerites said:

And there's something wrong with that (shrug)  The last baseball team I followed was the '74 Reds.  I still have many of my cards from then and think I have managed to out together the Reds team set.  Loved that bubblegum, really I did.

Gosh, when I close my eyes I can still taste that brittle chalky gum right now. After 2-3 minutes it wasn't bad though.