• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Dallas 2018, April 6-8, Dallas TX
1 1

265 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Kevin Boyd said:

.... I think you mean Adam Kubert. Arthur was there but we didn’t offer a package for him. They went on sale in February, I believe.

Thanks for the correction, I edited, its been a minute :) 

This may be a long shot, but what about some of the older creators that haven't done too many shows lately? They may be reluctant to travel, but it would really be great to get an opportunity to meet these guys:

Sal Buscema

John Romita Sr.

Joe Sinnott

Someone else may have a few names of this era as well, but these are the first three that came to mind for me.

Just now, mysterio said:

This may be a long shot, but what about some of the older creators that haven't done too many shows lately? They may be reluctant to travel, but it would really be great to get an opportunity to meet these guys:

Sal Buscema

John Romita Sr.

Joe Sinnott

Someone else may have a few names of this era as well, but these are the first three that came to mind for me.

If you could ever get Sr to travel, a Romita Sr and Jr experience would be cool. Or if it could ever be put together, a Stan Lee and Romita Sr. experience.

Just now, Kevin Boyd said:

Some of those creators have adamantly retired from doing conventions, but not all.

Yeah, figured thats why some only do private signings. Didn't know if any could be lured back out, but Im sure they like their set up now.

Craig Kyle is another name that would be nice to see in Dallas added to the creators (creator of X-23 and writer on some of marvel properties). He did some CGC signings this year. Super nice guy and I enjoyed meeting him. 

1 hour ago, kevhtx said:
1 hour ago, Kevin Boyd said:

Some of those creators have adamantly retired from doing conventions, but not all.

Yeah, figured thats why some only do private signings. Didn't know if any could be lured back out, but Im sure they like their set up now.

Craig Kyle is another name that would be nice to see in Dallas added to the creators (creator of X-23 and writer on some of marvel properties). He did some CGC signings this year. Super nice guy and I enjoyed meeting him. 

Yeah, I know some have retired but am never sure who. I wouldn't expect anyone who has retired from the circuit to come back out, but getting a nice group of old school creators would be really fantastic. A mix of former and current creators would go a long way into turning this into a destination show for comic collectors. I think Dallas can support a show like that, in addition to the celebrities and craft fair booths that will appeal to the general population.

I know Sinnott just did a show quite recently, so he is someone who might travel.

Edited by mysterio

8 minutes ago, Kevin Boyd said:

You make it sound like we’ve never done that before... of course we will have creator guests, old and new. I appreciate the suggestions!

I certainly didn't mean to make it sound that way. Of course you get creators in to the show, and the lineups are always good. I am just hoping that the bar gets raised to STELLAR.

Just throwing out some more celebrity ideas:

Supergirl - Melissa Benoist
12 Monkeys cast/panel - final season next year
Janina Gavankar - has appeared in a wide variety of TV shows, most recently Sleepy Hollow. 
She's also a pretty big nerd and is the voice of the main character in the new Star Wars Battlefront II.

On 11/6/2017 at 5:13 PM, Kevin Boyd said:

I think at least one headliner from Dallas will be announced before the end of the year. 

Ok, so we’ve got two headliners announced so far. Any other guests, particularly comic talent, that might be announced before 2018?

Edited by mysterio

On 11/10/2017 at 10:04 AM, mysterio said:

Sal Buscema

John Romita Sr.

Joe Sinnott

If there was a show with that line up in Dallas I am road tripping with you Art down there!!!!

Hey Kevin,

I was just curious, considering the line management and disorganization in the main celebrity area this past year, especially with the headliner, has a different plan been developed for next year yet? What is that looking like? 

Will there be a better system than ticketing for the headliner(s) as well, which also caused a big crowding issue?

So yes, first off, that was a unique cluster of things all happening in a short period of time that caused pandemonium in the celebrity area. A perfect storm of compounding issues with schedules and changes due to weather. Epic has had a bunch of shows to fix the system for photo ops in case of delays, how to better communicate with customers and I know things ran very smoothly in that area at subsequent Boston, Toronto, Tampa, Dallas and Vancouver Fan Expo HQ events. They've made sure to take specific steps to avoid what happened in Dallas last spring. I don't know specifics, except to say that I know they've had many meetings on logistics and have had time at subsequent shows to make sure the celeb signing and photo op areas run smoothly and test some new ideas.

One thing that I specifically want to commend our organization on is that they learn, they want to make sure that our attendees have a seamless, problem-free experience. 

Edited by Kevin Boyd