• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Dallas 2018, April 6-8, Dallas TX
1 1

265 posts in this topic

Not trying to be a debbie downer here, but man those prices are outrageous. And this paid panel for the headliners thing that's been going on for a couple years now is really a bummer. After how poorly last year's with Hamill went I can't justify ponying up dough for it to go wrong again. Hard for all of this not to look like a gigantic cash grab.

I'm sure many will pay, but I'm sad to say I won't. And yes, I'm genuinely sad - because BTTF is my favorite movie trilogy of all time and favorite time travel movie of all time. Alas, this is just exorbitant.

20 minutes ago, TheCollector2016 said:

Not trying to be a debbie downer here, but man those prices are outrageous. And this paid panel for the headliners thing that's been going on for a couple years now is really a bummer. After how poorly last year's with Hamill went I can't justify ponying up dough for it to go wrong again. Hard for all of this not to look like a gigantic cash grab.

I'm sure many will pay, but I'm sad to say I won't. And yes, I'm genuinely sad - because BTTF is my favorite movie trilogy of all time and favorite time travel movie of all time. Alas, this is just exorbitant.

I feel ya :)

It almost comes down to only choosing 1. A photo, panel, or a Sig. I saw the $999 for everything and it really puts into perspective how much some are willing to pay in total. How much people are willing to pay for each individual thing. How much people are willing to pay for one theme ("bttf" as oppose to "comics")And so on. Leaves me astonished. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Price-wise, I'm sure some of it is out of their control. These bigger name celebrities prices are just getting higher and higher. Let's face it, if MJF is charging $175 for an autograph, then how much should the VIP package be where you get an autograph with each cast member, photo-op with them all and the backstage pass with the cast for the evening? I get that its a lot and Im not going to pay it, but I bet it will sell out. I think the blame should go to the celebs, but the alternative is most likely them not being at Fan Expo Dallas.

As for the management issues of the events and the autograph area in general, I do hope this year that those issues are fixed. From previous posts, it sounds like they will be. 2016 was a much better experience for me. I'm looking forward to this year though. 

Meet Legendary Creator Joe Quesada & Superstar Comic Creator Andy Kubert through our Special Experience Packages, available tomorrow at 10AM CST!

Save the page: www.FANEXPODallas.com/tickets

Or visit

http://fanexpodallas.com/joe-quesada-fan-experience

http://fanexpodallas.com/andy-kubert-fan-experience

A600962C-213A-480F-BB48-1CEDE2158C56.jpeg

Edited by Kevin Boyd

I know all convention goers have different budgets - but I did the Quesada package in Toronto 2 (3?) years ago and man it was worth every penny.  Great sketch and, yeah, better stories from Joe on his role, the business, everything.

(Also @Kevin Boyd if this is in anyway a preview for Toronto that's a good thing!  Although lack of Paul Smith thus far is a concern - just an FYI.)

52 minutes ago, roach04 said:

I know all convention goers have different budgets - but I did the Quesada package in Toronto 2 (3?) years ago and man it was worth every penny.  Great sketch and, yeah, better stories from Joe on his role, the business, everything.

I appreciate the feedback! But this says pencil sketch on Bristol board...is that the same as you got? Just curious because the kubert says the same with a comic option, but only shows inked examples...And can you have Bristol graded? I'd assume so ???

Also how much are Joe's sigs? 4for $99 insinuates $25 a piece... sound right? as I only may need 2...:wishluck:

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I appreciate the feedback! But this says pencil sketch on Bristol board...is that the same as you got? Just curious because the kubert says the same with a comic option, but only shows inked examples...And can you have Bristol graded? I'd assume so ???

Also how much are Joe's sigs? 4for $99 insinuates $25 a piece... sound right? as I only may need 2...:wishluck:

Toronto was actually a full body sketch and not a head shot (as the Dallas one states) but yeah, on art board.  Mine's like the standard 9x12.   IIRC Toronto was $1000 though so that accounts for the difference in the cost.  I believe Toronto had 10 signatures?  I didn't get anything CGC'd so can't help you there.

For the Kubert one (I did it too - last year) - it was Adam mind  you - I asked for the sketch on blank but got one on bristol.  I personally didn't care but if you do maybe ask some questions as to whether that's legitimately an option.  Adam had done all of his before the show and they were on branded sketch boards (branded with Jason's Essential Sequential and Doug's ComicSketchArt logos).

3 hours ago, roach04 said:

Toronto was actually a full body sketch and not a head shot (as the Dallas one states) but yeah, on art board.  Mine's like the standard 9x12.   IIRC Toronto was $1000 though so that accounts for the difference in the cost.  I believe Toronto had 10 signatures?  I didn't get anything CGC'd so can't help you there.

For the Kubert one (I did it too - last year) - it was Adam mind  you - I asked for the sketch on blank but got one on bristol.  I personally didn't care but if you do maybe ask some questions as to whether that's legitimately an option.  Adam had done all of his before the show and they were on branded sketch boards (branded with Jason's Essential Sequential and Doug's ComicSketchArt logos).

This year is Andy kubert and last year was Adam (thumbsu..... I happened to see the end result last year and was blown away, so I feel what your saying :)and if you got one I'm a little jealous haha. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 hours ago, roach04 said:

(Also @Kevin Boyd if this is in anyway a preview for Toronto that's a good thing!  Although lack of Paul Smith thus far is a concern - just an FYI.)

@roach04  since you got the package last time in toronto...you know the actual drawing was WAY better than the"example" shown.

as for there being only 10 packages ?  im sure these will sell out just as quick as the ones in toronto. 

on a side note.......we will also have some stuff for sale at Joe Quesadas table in artist alley. 

stay tuned................

@Kwan Chang - oh yeah, the finished sketch is a thing of beauty.

Should tell folks that Kwan was a special guest at the discussion - he was going to take the books to CGC.  Should probably not say...nobody sent any books for CGC LOL.

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is Andy kubert and he was here last year... I happened to see the end result last year and was blown away, so I feel what your saying :)and if you got one I'm a little jealous haha. 

Andy - Dallas 2016 (with Miller)

Adam - Dallas 2017 

Andy - Dallas 2018