• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense Comics #3 Club
3 3

116 posts in this topic

So 14 pages before the center, 11 after. Every story including the text story is complete. The only thing missing is the four page center story insert which would be unknown if we weren't aware of its existence.

43 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

So 14 pages before the center, 11 after. Every story including the text story is complete. The only thing missing is the four page center story insert which would be unknown if we weren't aware of its existence.

You are doing gods work. 

13 minutes ago, Mak420 said:
57 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

You are doing gods work. 

It is too much fun to be work! :)

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

and the missing CF is the Raft story, which was glued in by the publisher on some copies when it was discovered it was omitted....so this is a 54 page book when complete.....thanks for sharing those interior splash pages Richard. 

Edited by Primetime

Some time ago I scanned a complete copy of Suspense Comics #3, so I will do some digging to see if I can retrieve that file and post the life raft centerfold story.  Art was by L.B. Cole and this was in his prime time.  Meanwhile, I do have a very nice Suspense Comics #3 cover that was restored using Photoshop to what the book likely looked like on the news stand.  What kid would not pay a dime for this book?  If the resolution for viewing is not quite right I will see if I can fix it.  The raw data file is too big for upload.

Suspense 3 copy L.jpg

Edited by Et-Es-Go

1 hour ago, Et-Es-Go said:

Some time ago I scanned a complete copy of Suspense Comics #3, so I will do some digging to see if I can retrieve that file and post the life raft centerfold story.  Art was by L.B. Cole and this was in his prime time.  Meanwhile, I do have a very nice Suspense Comics #3 cover that was restored using Photoshop to what the book likely looked like on the news stand.  What kid would not pay a dime for this book?  If the resolution for viewing is not quite right I will see if I can fix it.  The raw data file is too big for upload.

Suspense 3 copy L.jpg

Really nice, clean image :x

8 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Your page (i.e. wrap) count doesn't appear to add up here since this would amount to 29 interior wraps for 58 pages plus the 4 cover pages for a total page count of 62 pages.  :gossip:

Based upon a post in the other Suspense 3 thread, the complete book should have 16 wraps before the centerfold and then 12 wraps after that.  This would add up to 28 wraps or 56 interior pages plus the 4 exterior pages for a total count of 60 pages.  This would then line up with the stats from the GCD which lists a total of 60 pages including only 6 pages for the 83 Days on A Life-Raft story.  (thumbsu

Does this mean that your copy that "pathetically slinked" its way into your store will receive only a Green Qualified label if graded since it is considered to be Incomplete?  ???

What I think helps is to visualize this weird comic book construction by getting sheets of paper and fold them in half as if they were all going to be stapled at the spine together to form a comic book.  Ignore the front and back cover and the inside of that outer wrap folio in this example.   Also get four half pages that you can tape or glue to folios in the front half of the book. 

• If you have 12 sheets of paper and fold each of them in half, then nest them one on top of the other you should have 4 pages per folio, 2 front of folio and 2 on the back.
  • So this gives you 48 pages.
  • So now visualize that first folio, normally it would be page 1 and 2 of the book, and the last two pages of the book.  A single page (half a folio) is tipped in and glued to the inside of the first folio.  It is glued to page two.
  • On folio four the next tipped in page is glued to the inside of that folio as well.  This would be page 11 & 12 if you are counting pages from page 1.
  • On folio nine the next tipped in page is glued to the outside of the folio, so this would be pages 21 & 22.
  • The last tipped in page is glued to the outside of the centerfold folio (12th folio), making this pages 29 & 30.
  • All the tipped in pages are before the true centerfold.
  • 32 pages to the centerfold
  • 24 pages after the centerfold
  • 56 pages total and this does not include the front and inside cover wrap.  

9 hours ago, Et-Es-Go said:

Suspense 3 copy L.jpg

Gorgeous image!  Well done.

It doesn't pass the "what it would have looked like on the newsstand test" though because you put solid blue between the hero and the dagger.  Go back and look at every cover in the Heritage archive (or in this thread).  There should not be solid blue there, it should be more like a haze or fog.  I brought this up in the other Suspense 3 thread and was curious if a mistake was made on the original cover that they had to remove from the printing plate.  It almost looks like someone took an eraser to the cover, however, if you look at every single example of the comic you will see the same weird flaw.

Does anyone have a guess as to why this color flaw is on the cover?  I don't think it is something Schomburg would have put there.  Solid blue like your gorgeous photoshopped cover would have made more sense.

1.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

Guys...this is very confusing, my book is missing the following pages according to CGC Just checked my copy of Suspense and it is missing...pages 2, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19...which is so weird.

Can anyone help me in figuring  this out. 

5 minutes ago, geofan said:

Guys...this is very confusing, my book is missing the following pages according to CGC Just checked my copy of Suspense and it is missing...pages 2, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19...which is so weird.

You're missing the single "tipped in" page 2.

You're missing the 3 middle wraps, the CF has another single "tipped in" page.

3 wraps + 2 tipped in single pages = 8 total pages

4 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

You're missing the single "tipped in" page 2.

You're missing the 3 middle wraps, the CF has another single "tipped in" page.

3 wraps + 2 tipped in single pages = 8 total pages

Thanks Todd,

So that would mean 16 story pages are missing?

1 hour ago, geofan said:

good thing it's a 100% "all cover" only comic :wink: George