• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense Comics #3 Club
4 4

116 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Primetime said:

good thing it's a 100% "all cover" only comic :wink: George 

That's right Ben...the funny thing is that we rely on that top label, in the CGC slab to tell us what the amount of pages that our books have, and we never see the actual pages of any books unless we crack them out...in other words I bought the book for what it was...the cover, I did not care that the inside pages weren't complete because it did't have a big origin in story or special character's first appearance, they are dud stories...so I stand a chance to pickup a coverless copy to complete it much better than finding this monumental cover out there... I am perfectly happy with my copy a 0.5 Blue Label, as is it presents well and was lots more affordable that a complete copy when I bought it.

You have the cover which is the most important thing about the book.I would say you would get an incomplete label if graded but you are very lucky to come across any copy.My opinion is leave it alone and enjoy what you have and welcome to the small club :applause:

12 hours ago, PennFarms said:

New to the CGC boards but not to comics!  I wanted to post my copy of Suspense #3 now that I found this thread.  I acquired this copy about 15 years ago in a antique co-op in Clearfield, PA.  I had stopped in on my way through town and was flipping through a magazine rack that had a bunch of paper, comics and other ephemera.  As Im flipping through the stuff, I see this comic in a zip-lock freezer bag.  Now at the time, I was not familiar with this comic, but something attracted me to it.  I spent many hours of my youth flipping through the Overstreet Guide color pics and this must've imprinted on my brain.  I grabbed the comic and paid the man at the counter the asking price...5 bucks.  Once I finally made it home, I decided to look up my comic in the Overstreet guide.  When I found the "Suspense Comics" section and ran my eyes down to the #3 line and the price...I nearly passed out.  Surely I had a different "Suspense" series or something..no way this is valued at 100k NM!  well after scanning the listing before and after in the price guide, and then finally looking online (dial up) I confirmed that I did indeed have a real copy of Suspense #3!   Best comic purchase of my life.

My copy has some big condition issues, as do many of the ones I see here.  Other than the obvious flaws,  the cover and a couple centerfoldimageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761suspense3small.thumb.jpg.a211502ec782914ad59f4b40dc62a770.jpg pages are detached.  There are some small holes on the main Nazi.  There is an oily stain on the top right corner that soaks through the whole book.  Another big problem is that half the splash page is missing.  Luckily the book has all the pages, including the centerfold. I posted a pic of the ripped page as well as a scan of the interior spine.

Now I have a question about grading a book in such poor condition.  Typically I would have thought it would be best to keep a book like this in the raw so one could read it (it is a beat reader copy I suppose), but after seeing that books graded to 1.0 have sold for 14-21k, I am wondering if maybe grading is the best option.  My buddy has hounded me for a while to get it graded, but I resisted for the reason I stated earlier...surely someone spending thousands on a low grade book would want to read it.  But I may be wrong with that, eh?  Any thoughts on that from you all?  Based on the pics provided, do you think Id get  1.0 out of it?

susp3.backcover(60).jpg

susp3rippage (3).jpg

Image (59).jpg

Very nice pickup for $5 :cloud9:  I like raw books but on this high caliber cover, I would get it CGC’d because at some point it will have to go and that will make it easier to move. As for the grade, had the splash page not be damaged like that, it looks like you would have a shot at a 2.0 (even with the detached cover from the single staple). But as is, it would grade poor (.5). But better that damage was on the splash page than the cover (thumbsu

Could you count the pages and see what you have? I'm curious....

Edited by Primetime

On 12/20/2019 at 7:55 AM, PennFarms said:

New to the CGC boards but not to comics!  I wanted to post my copy of Suspense #3 now that I found this thread.  I acquired this copy about 15 years ago in a antique co-op in Clearfield, PA.  I had stopped in on my way through town and was flipping through a magazine rack that had a bunch of paper, comics and other ephemera.  As Im flipping through the stuff, I see this comic in a zip-lock freezer bag.  Now at the time, I was not familiar with this comic, but something attracted me to it.  I spent many hours of my youth flipping through the Overstreet Guide color pics and this must've imprinted on my brain.  I grabbed the comic and paid the man at the counter the asking price...5 bucks.  Once I finally made it home, I decided to look up my comic in the Overstreet guide.  When I found the "Suspense Comics" section and ran my eyes down to the #3 line and the price...I nearly passed out.  Surely I had a different "Suspense" series or something..no way this is valued at 100k NM!  well after scanning the listing before and after in the price guide, and then finally looking online (dial up) I confirmed that I did indeed have a real copy of Suspense #3!   Best comic purchase of my life.

My copy has some big condition issues, as do many of the ones I see here.  Other than the obvious flaws,  the cover and a couple centerfoldimageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761suspense3small.thumb.jpg.a211502ec782914ad59f4b40dc62a770.jpg pages are detached.  There are some small holes on the main Nazi.  There is an oily stain on the top right corner that soaks through the whole book.  Another big problem is that half the splash page is missing.  Luckily the book has all the pages, including the centerfold. I posted a pic of the ripped page as well as a scan of the interior spine.

Now I have a question about grading a book in such poor condition.  Typically I would have thought it would be best to keep a book like this in the raw so one could read it (it is a beat reader copy I suppose), but after seeing that books graded to 1.0 have sold for 14-21k, I am wondering if maybe grading is the best option.  My buddy has hounded me for a while to get it graded, but I resisted for the reason I stated earlier...surely someone spending thousands on a low grade book would want to read it.  But I may be wrong with that, eh?  Any thoughts on that from you all?  Based on the pics provided, do you think Id get  1.0 out of it?

susp3.backcover(60).jpg

susp3rippage (3).jpg

Image (59).jpg

(worship)  Wow, great book and great story. Congrats!  Probably my top want. I have dreamed for years of doing just what you did but it looks like you beat me to it.

PA is one of my favorite areas to find old comics. They are still out there and almost every time I'm in that area I score some.

CGC would grade this one poor due mostly to the torn splash page. I see no logical reason to send it in for grading unless you just want to make them more money and add it to the census. Poor is poor. I'd just leave it in it's original zip lock bag and enjoy it!

Welcome to the boards!

On 12/20/2019 at 7:55 AM, PennFarms said:

I acquired this copy about 15 years ago in a antique co-op in Clearfield, PA.  I had stopped in on my way through town and was flipping through a magazine rack that had a bunch of paper, comics and other ephemera.  As Im flipping through the stuff, I see this comic in a zip-lock freezer bag.  Now at the time, I was not familiar with this comic, but something attracted me to it.  I spent many hours of my youth flipping through the Overstreet Guide color pics and this must've imprinted on my brain.  I grabbed the comic and paid the man at the counter the asking price...5 bucks.  Once I finally made it home, I decided to look up my comic in the Overstreet guide.  When I found the "Suspense Comics" section and ran my eyes down to the #3 line and the price...I nearly passed out.  Surely I had a different "Suspense" series or something..no way this is valued at 100k NM

Well, definite congrats on an absolutely amazing pickup for a blow-out steal of a price at only $5 dollars.  :takeit:

The only thing I am not sure and confused about is your timeline here.  If it was 15 years ago, top of guide for a Suspense 3 was at only something like $18K as this book did not hit $100K in the guide until much later around the time of the 2016 price guide or thereabouts.  ???

Either way, you definitely can't go wrong hanging onto this book here, even with the splash page like that.  (thumbsu

Now that Ive decided to eventually send my copy of the book in, I realize its a bit confusing when trying to figure out the pricing.  At this point Id go for straight encapsulation...no pressing.  Time is not an issue, so Id like to do it at the most inexpensive level possible.  Is there a thread anywhere that better explains it?  When dealing with an expensive book, I guess there are less options.  So I would end up paying 3% of fair market value of the book?  Who/What determines that value??  Thanks for all your input.  I have a few other decent GA books Ill want to press/slab as well and trying to estimate the costs.

36 minutes ago, PennFarms said:

Now that Ive decided to eventually send my copy of the book in, I realize its a bit confusing when trying to figure out the pricing.  At this point Id go for straight encapsulation...no pressing.  Time is not an issue, so Id like to do it at the most inexpensive level possible.  Is there a thread anywhere that better explains it?  When dealing with an expensive book, I guess there are less options.  So I would end up paying 3% of fair market value of the book?  Who/What determines that value??  Thanks for all your input.  I have a few other decent GA books Ill want to press/slab as well and trying to estimate the costs.

You would have to use the walk thru price  for that book because of the high value even on that copy.I took my copy on vacation with me two years ago along with a bunch of others down to CGC, It was on it's way  back in four days sometimes you just can't go cheap (thumbsu

Wow, yeah, walk through would have to be the way. That won't be cheap. We all know what they will grade it. Seems like kind of a waste of money to me. But, you only have 5 bucks into it... At the very least, make sure you save pics of the interior and damage. If I were paying that kind of dough, I'd want to see the interior. A shiny new mylar would be the way I'd want it...

On 12/20/2019 at 9:55 AM, PennFarms said:

susp3.backcover(60).jpg

susp3rippage (3).jpg

Image (59).jpg

Man awesome pick up! And for $5!!!!

Now for the general question....would this get a .5 for “incomplete”? Since the splash page is mostly missing? 

Only asking to be a better grader, and not demeaning the book or @PennFarms

On 12/20/2019 at 10:55 AM, PennFarms said:

susp3.backcover(60).jpg

susp3rippage (3).jpg

Image (59).jpg

Awesome pick up.   I would be proud to own this copy.  Congrats.  

3 hours ago, Raze said:

Man awesome pick up! And for $5!!!!

Now for the general question....would this get a .5 for “incomplete”? Since the splash page is mostly missing? 

Only asking to be a better grader, and not demeaning the book or @PennFarms

It is indeed awesome! Yes, a grade of .5 due to incompleteness seems correct.

On 12/25/2019 at 8:25 AM, mwotka said:

Bit off topic (I wouldn't slab an incomplete book, don't see the point), but I had saved these photo from the Okajima thread and there is a pretty neat book (several actually) lurking on the back wall.  Not sure which camp this was from, but cool to think one of those girls could've been the collector of all those books.  

japanese internment store.jpg

japanese internment store close up.jpg

Here’s more info 

1D664B1D-FFD6-4279-9548-85A7F57F4319.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Primetime said:

Here’s more info 

1D664B1D-FFD6-4279-9548-85A7F57F4319.jpeg

Most of the books on the rack were first released in March,1944. I’ve seen one copy of Suspense 3 date stamped February, 1944. 
http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/newsstand.php?type=calendar&month=3&year=1944&publisher=all&sort=alpha&checklist=null