• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Falling Sales
6 6

1,204 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

Trimpe could draw feet and a normal amount of teeth.

And he didn't have a God complex. He was actually pretty awed to be part of the second wave of Marvel artists that came onboard in that era, including Adams, Steranko, Starlin and himself. He was a gentleman, a storyteller and a work horse; and his finished product varied widely depending upon who was inking him. I think he often got the short end of the inking stick, with the hot young guns getting all the attention. But Marie Severin generally did a good job in tandem  him.

I've never not winced at anything by Liefeld. The eye is drawn nowhere; it's just a garish mess. 

Herb Trimpe and John Severin made a great penciller / inker team.

I struggle to think of anything on the same level for Rob Liefeld?

Edited by Ken Aldred

20 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Herb Trimpe and John Severin made a great penciller / inker team.

I struggle to think of anything on the same level for Rob Liefeld?

But he co-created Deadpool, and that is all the new fanboys care about. 

4 hours ago, VegasJeff said:

I think we need to realize the Marvel we grew up with as a kid is dead. This is now Marvel owned by Disney. So I personally think a lot of these changes are being forced by above.

When the race of a lead character in a movie such as Star Wars is more important than their acting ability, it is a sad day. Diversity is the new racism.

^ THIS !!

Disney is a giant beast of a force and everything they do has one purpose.  To monitor the people of earth, read their emotional responses to every kind of situation, and to suck their wallets dry.

As much as I hate reboots, Marvel should pull a DC and totally reset continuity. Take things back to one of the events over the last ten years or so or maybe even secret wars, say the Beyonder screwed up continuity, and now it has been restored.  Get all titles back to legacy numbering.  Trim all limes down to no more than 3 titles per family, and be done with it.

It is amazing how much Marvel is missing the point.  The VP here is basically blaming the reader for being an ignorant racist.  It has nothing to do with the simple fact that yes we in fact do like the characters that we have been reading for many many years, and do not want to see them killed or sidelined. Only to be replaced with forced diversity characters that are somehow meant to fill the void of the characters we love. I love the idea of new characters, but give us new characters, not substitutes or replacements for existing characters. Do not expect a solo book to do well that is centered around a character that has no developed fan base, and then call use hicks for not buying it.   

If you want to diversify, use what you already have Marvel.  There are dozens of good, diverse characters that can more than fill whatever quota you are trying to meet, and there is already a fan base for many of them. You have all the tools in Storm, Moonstar, Sunspot, Northstar, Bishop, War Machine, Falcon, Misty Knight, Luke Cage and I could go on and on. I would love to see Marvel give some of these characters an honest shot, before they go and create yet another new shiny, that fulfills some self imposed quota.

But remember above all to good stories. In a world that seems ever more divided, the biggest thing many readers (dare I say most readers) want is pure escapism, not something steeped in a thinly veiled agenda. Yes, titles like X-Men have a long, rich history of portraying the rejected, forgotten, and oppressed, but it did it in a gentle style that never felt forced or judgmental. Despite, the underlying message, it was never written in a manor that could be viewed as off-putting or offensive by a very diverse fan base.  Marvel titles, regardless of a readers background or personal viewpoints were accessible, and inviting to anyone who wanted to read.

Agents of Atlas is one of my favourite series of the past decade or so, with good stories by Jeff Parker and excellent art by Gabriel Hardman, inspired by this Bronze Age issue...

45968_20140118163710_large.jpg

... and is a series which also features a strong Chinese-American lead character.

However well done it might be, this was before the current trend of overusing diversity as a marketing tool.

Edited by Ken Aldred

16 hours ago, romanheart said:

Marvel's Falling Sales

Marvel VP blames diversity for falling sales

Personally, I think hollow stories and never-ending series renumbering is killing them.

I rarely get Marvel books. Both artworks and stories have gone downhill over the last 5-10 years. Last truly great Marvel story was Planet Hulk.

I feel like they don't have a good community anymore. Not a fan of the forced diversity either. Not that there isn't some decent standouts from time to time.

Edited by Rip

12 hours ago, drotto said:

As much as I hate reboots, Marvel should pull a DC and totally reset continuity. Take things back to one of the events over the last ten years or so or maybe even secret wars, say the Beyonder screwed up continuity, and now it has been restored.  Get all titles back to legacy numbering.  Trim all limes down to no more than 3 titles per family, and be done with it.

That is a very good idea.

I think everything after Secret Wars 2 should be considered What If stories. Think about it in that the Marvel's stories that happened in the 1961 to 1986 period compared to the 1987 to 2017 period were much more important and iconic. or if that is too far back than maybe all stories after when the Image guys left. Now looking back on it it does seem like Marvel was never the same after all those top artists left in the early 1990s

So either reboot  from the end of Secret Wars 2 or when Todd McFarlane and Jim Lee left. hm

Not that Marvel would actually do it, but resetting to Secret Wars is a bit too early I think. I would use the moment that Bill Jemas became VP or Marvel as the reset point. That's the genesis of things going to hell for Marvel.

Edited by Likefro

5 minutes ago, Likefro said:

I would use the moment that Bill Jemas became VP or Marvel as the reset point. That's the genesis of things going to hell for Marvel     Marville

Joking apart, that was a really bad series.