• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Falling Sales
6 6

1,204 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, Likefro said:

Not that Marvel would actually do it, but resetting to Secret Wars is a bit too early I think. I would use the moment that Bill Jemas became VP or Marvel as the reset point. That's the genesis of things going to hell for Marvel.

You might be on to something there.

I think the second they killed off Wolverine was the beginning of slide.  Not to say things were great before then but the biggest issues seem to have occurred since Logan was killed.

16 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Marvel lost my patronage when they cancelled the FF.

Sales have been propped up by gimmicks for a long while all in an attempt to retain a readership that is not renewing itself. For every fifty year old that quits buying there is no ten year old to take their place.

Marella needs to concentrate on their core characters.  Get the Avengers, X-Men, Hulk, and the FF back on track to give them a firm foundation.  Then sprinkle in some of the new people, that readers seem to like.  Do not force anything. Give that a few months or even a few years to grow. 

Realize that new characters need to grow before they are set out on their own. Yes, early characters in the GA, answer SA you had instant success characters.  Spider Man, Batman, Superman etc. were a hit right, but that does not happen much anymore. Characterst like Wolverine, many X-Men characters, and othershe took tears to grow.  Yes you get the occasional Ms Marvel, but more often you get X-23 or Harley Quinn who were around 15 years before they started to break out.

The problem is the current crop of writers has learned to write from reading comics.  Thus they have a narrow bandwidth and keep recycling the same stupid stuff cause that's all they know.

Not being sarcastic and not a rhetorical question but perhaps:

Do you think Marvel has put their best creators on the film side of the business and intentionally let the comics slide since more money can be made at the movies? I don't hear anyone complain about Marvel films.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

The problem is the current crop of writers has learned to write from reading comics.  Thus they have a narrow bandwidth and keep recycling the same stupid stuff cause that's all they know.

I don't know whether that is correct or not, but...., hm

Currently in the works:
Uncle Benpool

The Transvengers-west coast, east coast and heartland

the league of wheels-handicapped heroes in powered wheelchairs with lasers and stuff

Pouch-a superhero mom with kangaroo powers and her baby in pouch with breastfeeding sequences

1 hour ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Marvel lost my patronage when they cancelled the FF.

Sales have been propped up by gimmicks for a long while all in an attempt to retain a readership that is not renewing itself. For every fifty year old that quits buying there is no ten year old to take their place.

I don't read much of the new stuff but from what I gather Marvel has basically put the older readers out to pasture.  Cancelling many of the old standbys in a mad dash to entice younger readers to pick up a book.  It appears to be failing miserably since the older readers are still a vibrant market and there is just not enough young readers to make it a good business decision.  They keep messing round and their customers will get accustomed to spending their entertainment dollars elsewhere and they will never come back no matter how hard they try.

Edited by 1Cool

1 hour ago, kav said:

Currently in the works:
Uncle Benpool

The Transvengers-west coast, east coast and heartland

the league of wheels-handicapped heroes in powered wheelchairs with lasers and stuff

Pouch-a superhero mom with kangaroo powers and her baby in pouch with breastfeeding sequences

:wishluck: for the Transvengers-West Coast Transgender Bathroom Adventures :wishluck:

Edited by lizards2

26 minutes ago, kav said:

Currently in the works:

Pouch-a samurai ninja superhero mom with kangaroo powers and her baby in pouch with breastfeeding sequences

It's like an Antipodean version of Lone Wolf and Cub!!

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That is a very good idea.

I think everything after Secret Wars 2 should be considered What If stories. Think about it in that the Marvel's stories that happened in the 1961 to 1986 period compared to the 1987 to 2017 period were much more important and iconic. or if that is too far back than maybe all stories after when the Image guys left. Now looking back on it it does seem like Marvel was never the same after all those top artists left in the early 1990s

So either reboot  from the end of Secret Wars 2 or when Todd McFarlane and Jim Lee left. hm

I'm still waiting for Franklin Richards to have a full-on "Bobby Ewing stepping out of the shower" where he wakes up from a fever dream & we find out that everything since about 3 weeks before Civil War 1 was Franklin having a nightmare.

1 hour ago, FN-2199 said:

Not being sarcastic and not a rhetorical question but perhaps:

Do you think Marvel has put their best creators on the film side of the business and intentionally let the comics slide since more money can be made at the movies? I don't hear anyone complain about Marvel films.

Not really. All the decent writers quit to go either work elsewhere in Hollywood, on creator-owned Indy stuff, or got burnt out on working on Marvel's stuff.

Millar does almost all creator-owned or Hollywood.

Same with BKV.

Brubaker is done with superhero comics & is doing indy & Hollywood.

Ellis is back over at DC rebuilding the Wildstorm universe from scratch.

Bendis is still writing whatever he wants but is also essentially "upper management" now.

Hickman wanted a break from Marvel & is working on indy stuff only.

Morrison is doing whatever Morrison wants (and I think there's still some bad blood with him and JoeQ).

JMS has been doing Hollywood again for years.

PAD is still around but not really doing anything with Marvel.

Fraction is more interested in writing a fictionalized version of his sex life with Kelly Sue.

And that's just the writers. The artists are trash these days too.

1 hour ago, Silver Surfer said:

Haven't bought a modern in over a year. Bad art, worse story lines and no honoring of original characters. They shouldn't blame diversity, they should blame their own stupidity. 

I'm way over it. Been over it for years. It used to irritate me but when I came to the realization that I was no longer in their target demographic, it was liberating. I am now free to use money I would have spent on new comics, on the older stuff I never read at the time. I'm completely happy with that. Marvel can do what it will. I will do the same.