• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Falling Sales
6 6

1,204 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2017 at 0:38 PM, Chuck Gower said:

I personally loved that issue. As a fan of sequential art, design, and... dogs, I greatly enjoyed it. 

So, you can't stand John Buscema, but you enjoyed that piece of mess.

:smirk:

Marvel's 'Legacy' will 'break the internet,' says Axel Alonso.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/marvels-legacy-break-internet-axel-alonso/story?id=46936769

"Let's just say there's a last-page reveal that's probably gonna break the Internet."

That's how Marvel's Axel Alonso describes "Legacy," a new initiative that will take things back to the comic book company's iconic history, all while keeping an eye on the future.

"With 'Legacy,' we want to tell stories that are accessible to all, but remind readers of Marvel’s rich history,” he said. “To drive that point home, a number of our titles will return to their original series numbering, and our stories will invoke that history, reminding readers of connections between characters they may have forgotten about, and ushering in the return of some big characters who’ve been missed. Above all else, we want to inject our comics with a massive dose of fun."

The aesthetic of "Legacy" will be a trip for longtime fans as well, with little vestiges from the past like the cover value stamp and corner box art that Marvel used years ago.

ML.jpg

I like the idea about original numbering,Marvel Value Stamps,Foom and corner boxes coming back. We shall see if this turns it around.

5 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Marvel's 'Legacy' will 'break the internet,' says Axel Alonso.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/marvels-legacy-break-internet-axel-alonso/story?id=46936769

"Let's just say there's a last-page reveal that's probably gonna break the Internet."

That's how Marvel's Axel Alonso describes "Legacy," a new initiative that will take things back to the comic book company's iconic history, all while keeping an eye on the future.

"With 'Legacy,' we want to tell stories that are accessible to all, but remind readers of Marvel’s rich history,” he said. “To drive that point home, a number of our titles will return to their original series numbering, and our stories will invoke that history, reminding readers of connections between characters they may have forgotten about, and ushering in the return of some big characters who’ve been missed. Above all else, we want to inject our comics with a massive dose of fun."

The aesthetic of "Legacy" will be a trip for longtime fans as well, with little vestiges from the past like the cover value stamp and corner box art that Marvel used years ago.

ML.jpg

I like the idea about original numbering,Marvel Value Stamps,Foom and corner boxes coming back. We shall see if this turns it around.

Why are they using the same tagline they used for the New Universe? lol

Unless they're hiring creators from that era, I don't see how this will be anything other than nostalgia without being nostalgiac.

9 hours ago, Logan510 said:

So, you can't stand John Buscema, but you enjoyed that piece of mess.

:smirk:

I have never said I can't stand John Buscema. I did say, I find much of his superhero work somewhat cold and robotic, despite the exaggerated displays of aggression. 

I felt he was the perfect artist for that early run on Sub-Mariner (He may be the one character someone drew better than Romita) and his Conan, especially in the magazine is iconic (even though I love BWS). 

I also loved his Vision and Silver Surfer, two characters suited to somewhat cold exteriors. 

It made perfect sense to me, years later when I found out he absolutely despised drawing superheroes, especially team books. 

But hate him. No no no. Don't be silly. 

2 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I have never said I can't stand John Buscema. I did say, I find much of his superhero work somewhat cold and robotic, despite the exaggerated displays of aggression. 

I felt he was the perfect artist for that early run on Sub-Mariner (He may be the one character someone drew better than Romita) and his Conan, especially in the magazine is iconic (even though I love BWS). 

I also loved his Vision and Silver Surfer, two characters suited to somewhat cold exteriors. 

It made perfect sense to me, years later when I found out he absolutely despised drawing superheroes, especially team books. 

But hate him. No no no. Don't be silly. 

My mistake, I never realized those were compliments.

7 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

My mistake, I never realized those were compliments.

I've never felt the only way to discuss art or any form of entertainment was either thumbs up or thumbs down, either good or bad with no grey area. 

Even my favorite artists have their down side - to recognize it isn't a condemnation of them, it's just an aesthetic diagnosis of a portion of their work in my OPINION. 

Jim Starlin's Hulk looks weird to me. I still love Starlin's art. 

John Romita... Hmmm. I can't really think of anything...

Hmmm...

Oh I know, he wasn't really all that good at creating super villains. 

See.

I still love his work. He's one of my favorite artists of all time.

Many people LOVE every single bit of John Buscema's art - they're not wrong - it's a preference they have. I DON'T love every single bit of John Buscema's work - it doesn't mean I HATE him. 

In fact, John Buscema apparently wasn't a fan of every bit of his OWN artwork, it didn't mean he hated himself  

Mr. A might think so, but that's because his viewpoint is extreme. 

I've learned long ago that having a differing opinion on anything nostalgia related around this forum is potential dynamite. 

I'm not trying to offend your nostalgia for the work of the guy. He's a legend. He'll always be a legend. I just have a differing opinion on some of his art. I still think he's a legend of superhero comic art, even if he HIMSELF couldn't stand doing it. 

10 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I've never felt the only way to discuss art or any form of entertainment was either thumbs up or thumbs down, either good or bad with no grey area. 

Even my favorite artists have their down side - to recognize it isn't a condemnation of them, it's just an aesthetic diagnosis of a portion of their work in my OPINION. 

Hmmm...

See.

Many people LOVE every single bit of John Buscema's art - they're not wrong - it's a preference they have. I DON'T love every single bit of John Buscema's work - it doesn't mean I HATE him. 

In fact, John Buscema apparently wasn't a fan of every bit of his OWN artwork, it didn't mean he hated himself  

Mr. A might think so, but that's because his viewpoint is extreme. 

I've learned long ago that having a differing opinion on anything nostalgia related around this forum is potential dynamite. 

I'm not trying to offend your nostalgia for the work of the guy. He's a legend. He'll always be a legend. I just have a differing opinion on some of his art. I still think he's a legend of superhero comic art, even if he HIMSELF couldn't stand doing it. 

A little more post dissection and use of quotes and you'll have it down pat.

Thank you for not offending my nostalgia, it's appreciated.

Edited by Logan510

15 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Hmmm...

See.

I feel that same way about Joe Kubert's bronze superhero work. I don't feel like his style worked in that context. DC war books? Absolutely. Tarzan? Hell yeah! Superheroes though, not so much. 

8 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

I feel that same way about Joe Kubert's bronze superhero work. I don't feel like his style worked in that context. DC war books? Absolutely. Tarzan? Hell yeah! Superheroes though, not so much. 

Kubert drew Sgt. Rock and Tarzan the best ever, just like nobody could draw the Shadow like Mike Kaluta. Some artists are just meant for certain characters.

With John Buscema he drew a great Conan and Silver Surfer. Anybody ever take a re-look at Silver Surfer 1-5? They are art masterpieces.

Also his Conan's are works of art. He does not get appreciated because of Barry Smith, but know what ? Go back and open up Conan #1 and #25,then compare them, and you will see Big John was at the top of his game and gave Barry Smith a run for his money.

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Kubert drew Sgt. Rock and Tarzan the best ever, just like nobody could draw the Shadow like Mike Kaluta. Some artists are just meant for certain characters.

With John Buscema he drew a great Conan and Silver Surfer. Anybody ever take a re-look at Silver Surfer 1-5? They are art masterpieces.

Also his Conan's are works of art. He does not get appreciated because of Barry Smith, but know what ? Go back and open up Conan #1 and #25,then compare them, and you will see Big John was at the top of his game and gave Barry Smith a run for his money.

And can I put a plug in for Kubert's Hawkman as well?

Kubert's Hawkman (silver age) is great. I was just looking at some of the covers he did in the Bronze age though (Flash, Superman, etc) and it just doesn't look good to me. 

26 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

Kubert's Hawkman (silver age) is great. I was just looking at some of the covers he did in the Bronze age though (Flash, Superman, etc) and it just doesn't look good to me. 

I was thinking primarily about his Brave and Bold runs. Really impressive work.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Getting comics into the hands of kids is critical but is becoming more and more difficult.  If we are talking about 5-7 year olds then you really need to have books that will be enjoyed by this age bracket and after trying to give away book to kids at Cons it's not easy to find books for that age bracket even with 80/90s books.  If we are talking about 8-10 year old (when I started reading and collecting) then most have a cell phone and they are entertained at stores, gas stations or pretty much everywhere else they go.  When is the last time you saw a parent allow their 8-10 year old to hang out in the magazine/book area by themselves while the parent shopped?  Parents keep kids right next to them at all times.  Kids don't have the opportunity to spend time looking thru the comic racks even if they were in stores.  There may be some way to get the schools involved with getting comics in kids hands (possible grants paving the way?) but then you have to figure out a way to get kids to pay for the books after they read the free copies.  I'm not sure there is a way to connect with kids but I really hope big brains at Marvel and DC are thinking outside the box.

30 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Getting comics into the hands of kids is critical but is becoming more and more difficult.  If we are talking about 5-7 year olds then you really need to have books that will be enjoyed by this age bracket and after trying to give away book to kids at Cons it's not easy to find books for that age bracket even with 80/90s books.  If we are talking about 8-10 year old (when I started reading and collecting) then most have a cell phone and they are entertained at stores, gas stations or pretty much everywhere else they go.  When is the last time you saw a parent allow their 8-10 year old to hang out in the magazine/book area by themselves while the parent shopped?  Parents keep kids right next to them at all times.  Kids don't have the opportunity to spend time looking thru the comic racks even if they were in stores.  There may be some way to get the schools involved with getting comics in kids hands (possible grants paving the way?) but then you have to figure out a way to get kids to pay for the books after they read the free copies.  I'm not sure there is a way to connect with kids but I really hope big brains at Marvel and DC are thinking outside the box.

Bone sold (sells?) really well through the Scholastic Reading Club.  Marvel has sold 2 Star Wars comics through that program a Vader's Down #1 and Han Solo #1.

The problem is the narrow definition of comics as being strictly from Marvel or DC.  If we branched out from that, we'd see some comics selling very well and being consumed by kids.

Edited by rjrjr

37 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

Bone sold (sells?) really well through the Scholastic Reading Club.  Marvel has sold 2 Star Wars comics through that program a Vader's Down #1 and Han Solo #1.

The problem is the narrow definition of comics as being strictly from Marvel or DC.  If we branched out from that, we'd see some comics selling very well and being consumed by kids.

Absolutely correct! My son (8) and daughter (11) read lots of trades and graphics novels these days, just not necessarily super hero stuff.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I think apps might factor in this. I was looking at best selling apps on the android the other day and Spider-Man had two of the best selling apps with Hulk and Iron Man right behind.  

Yep,this is definitely a different game than the 40s to 90s with the newsstands.  

Edited by ComicConnoisseur