• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Falling Sales
6 6

1,204 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

My daughter calls me a "meany" on the regular.  I tell her that I'm "tough" but not "mean".  It's difficult in these times to raise a kid that can deal with, what to me was, growing up.  As parents we want to protect our kids.  I think it's been taken too far.  Life isn't easy and it isn't "fair".  I try to demonstrate that to my daughter.  Sometimes it works, sometimes I fail miserably. 

Am I a jerk?  Some people would probably say yes.  Some would say no. 

I think I "give in" more than I should.  Certainly more than what I was afforded at her age, and my childhood was pretty darn good (I was very lucky).  It's a sticky-wicket. 

You were the jerk that taught me "masking" when I was new to the boards...., :luhv:

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

My daughter calls me a "meany" on the regular.  I tell her that I'm "tough" but not "mean".  It's difficult in these times to raise a kid that can deal with, what to me was, growing up.  As parents we want to protect our kids.  I think it's been taken too far.  Life isn't easy and it isn't "fair".  I try to demonstrate that to my daughter.  Sometimes it works, sometimes I fail miserably. 

Am I a jerk?  Some people would probably say yes.  Some would say no. 

I think I "give in" more than I should.  Certainly more than what I was afforded at her age, and my childhood was pretty darn good (I was very lucky).  It's a sticky-wicket. 

If your teenagers 'like' you you're doing something wrong. lol

Just play the long game. You can love her but also let her know why you're doing certain things.

I took a de-escalation class that really helped me manage my teens. Rather than confront them every time you learn to pick your battles and de-escalate every situation. Worked wonders.

Eventually, they realize not only that you love 'em but also that you were usually right all along.

5 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

If your teenagers 'like' you you're doing something wrong. lol

Just play the long game. You can love her but also let her know why you're doing certain things.

I took a de-escalation class that really helped me manage my teens. Rather than confront them every time you learn to pick your battles and de-escalate every situation. Worked wonders.

Eventually, they realize not only that you love 'em but also that you were usually right all along.

Teens want boundaries it makes them feel safe.  They might fight em but they secretly despise those parents that try to be their 'friends' and are super lenient.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Teens want boundaries it makes them feel safe.  They might fight em but they secretly despise those parents that try to be their 'friends' and are super lenient.

I don't know about despise but the rest is very true in my experience.

Just now, VintageComics said:

I don't know about despise but the rest is very true in my experience.

They do they think the parent is a chump and easily manipulated.  No one respects someone they can manipulate.

10 hours ago, Hamlet said:

I think you are overstating the amount this has really changed.  I remember people talking exactly the same way about my generation ( Xer ) because we watched a lot of TV and played video games endlessly. 

Heck, for the generation before that, comics were the thing that was supposedly rotting their minds.

For my kids, it is Netflix/YouTube and some Frozen version of Gemdrop. 

On summer days, I remember as a kid that my mother sometimes had to push me out of the house because I wanted to spend all day playing with my Atari 2600.  Back then, good parents pushed their kids outside at some point, and I see nothing that makes me think its different in any meaningful way today.

It was pretty much like how my parents did to me back then. My generation is about much like yours, I had my Atari 2600 when that system first come out ( got it for Christmas). I had played it to death, busted out three controllers. Then my mother put down her guns and told me go play outside - or else. So I went outside to play. 

No computers, no internet, no smartphones. Just the TV and video games. Heck, I even had played Pong video game when that come out before Atari! 

I started learned to read when I was 4. I had scribbled words on walls at age 3. My grandmother decided to give me my uncle's old comics to encourage me on reading. Mother agreed as well. Rest is history. 

Now I look at today's generation ... they are already into world of internet, smartphones and wireless devices the moment they are born! I can see why the comic companies are having problems to boost their sales. I feel like I am part of the last generation who truly love to read the comic stories. Loved my times with the 100 pagers, digests and the big $1.00 books in '70s :x

my parents were tough on me to push me to get good education and allowed me grow my passions in what I like to do. 

13 hours ago, FutureFlash said:

I started in the 80s too and that is what you did back then collect runs. Kinda sad that it is all about the keys nowadays, people are really missing out on great story-lines of yesteryear...but for the most part it is just easier and cheaper to pick up the trade now. But I'm even getting to the point where I'm finishing the runs I'm working on and that is it and slowly reducing my monthly purchases. Ugh what a depressing thread. :frown:

But yeah I tend to think there will not be enough new collectors to absorb everything other than keys and maybe certain small runs.

The publishers are reaping what the sowed.  They decided printing ever increasingly difficult to afford variants is more important than keeping the people who collect runs happy.  We all know people (some even participating in this thread) who gave up trying to keep a collection whole.  They shouldn't be surprised there are not many run collectors left.  And hence, they lost their loyal customers.

Key collecting is just the last of the collectors trying to hold onto something they once cherished.  That too will fade in time.

Edited by rjrjr

12 hours ago, 90sChild said:

I dont think there will need to be more collectors to absorb more books, there are plenty of speculators out there that continue to drive prices up over and over again.  Competiton between dealers and stores for items to resell will always drive up prices.  If there is a reduction in comic prices over the coming years it will be based on the economy in general and not supply based. 

Someday though, these speculators will wake up and realize those boxes of hot books are not worth anywhere near the price they paid for them.

On a positive note, there are a lot of people with a lot of real money in this hobby.  So, I doubt we'll see the hobby go away in my lifetime.  I have no doubt it will keep getting more expensive for the key collectors though. :)

Edited by rjrjr

3 hours ago, rjrjr said:

Someday though, these speculators will wake up and realize those boxes of hot books are not worth anywhere near the price they paid for them.

On a positive note, there are a lot of people with a lot of real money in this hobby.  So, I doubt we'll see the hobby go away in my lifetime.  I have no doubt it will keep getting more expensive for the key collectors though. :)

One thing that will keep the comic's hobby going is a very strong community.  People are always talking about the characters in other media that will keep the hobby alive.

Some other hobbies don't have that and they are dying real quick.

3 hours ago, rjrjr said:

The publishers are reaping what the sowed.  They decided printing ever increasingly difficult to afford variants is more important than keeping the people who collect runs happy.  We all know people (some even participating in this thread) who gave up trying to keep a collection whole.  They shouldn't be surprised there are not many run collectors left.  And hence, they lost their loyal customers.

Key collecting is just the last of the collectors trying to hold onto something they once cherished.  That too will fade in time.

I would have thought the publishers would have learned from the 1990s about variants.

I guess they didn't as there seems to be more variants than ever.

4 hours ago, rjrjr said:

Yep.  Much like movies, the most important part to make one successful is the most ignored - the writing.  If you want to sell comics, people have to want to read them.  So, you have to make them worth reading.  That doesn't happen with variant covers and it doesn't happen with wholesale, knee-jerk character change.  If you want a more diverse character lineup, fine.  Take a 12 issue story arc to kill off Frank Castle and introduce a new female Punisher.  At the end of which Castle becomes Ghost Rider because that would be badass.  Don't just do it in an issue, make it an epic story.  That would sell at least 12 comics, not 3 as people drop off because they have no care or connection to any character anymore.

Blows my mind that people who make these things can't figure out that selling 1,000 variant covers once is not as good as selling 1,000 comics that make you want to buy one next month.

I'm a run collector, and I still collect modern Captain Americas, except I wait 6 months until I find them in dollar bins.  I'm not reading them, though, too much has changed.  Joe Quesada's disregard for continuity in favor of a "good story," Avengers Disassembled, and the rise of Bendis as Marvel's golden boy was the flurry of blows that put me on the mat for good.

I don't understand the blame people put on variant covers for the demise of the run collector.  I was collecting in the 90s, and the only thing that counted for our run was the 1st print, not the silver 2nd print, not the alternate colored 3rd print, not the Dynamic Forces signed variant, not the Wizard editions, nothing.  Those were nice-to-haves, but not essential to the run.  When did that change?

I don't think the long term health of the printed media is looking good.  I know I bought comics each week since the late 70s to 2010 but when I relocated to Colorado I decided to quit buying new books.  The main reason was the constant re-boots, character changes only to change back and then change again, poor writing, and terrible artwork.  I haven't missed buying new books at all.  I tried to get my son into comics but he has no interest (15 now).  I know one guy in Colorado that was a big time buyer of new stuff, like several hundred dollars per month but he recent switched to trades only and cut way back.

37 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I don't think the long term health of the printed media is looking good.  I know I bought comics each week since the late 70s to 2010 but when I relocated to Colorado I decided to quit buying new books.  The main reason was the constant re-boots, character changes only to change back and then change again, poor writing, and terrible artwork.  I haven't missed buying new books at all.  I tried to get my son into comics but he has no interest (15 now).  I know one guy in Colorado that was a big time buyer of new stuff, like several hundred dollars per month but he recent switched to trades only and cut way back.

pretty much yep on all counts.

August Sales didn't appear to be too bad for Marvel, but most of those in the top tier were the Secret Empire final issues, a couple of the Generations titles (which I am not touching with a 10 ft pole), and Star Wars titles. 

The sad part is they keep forcing titles that nobody wants, and titles you think should be doing well given the Movies and Netflix series are hemorrhaging readers:  Daredevil ranks  #87. and Iron Fist, Luke Cage & Punisher are not even in the Top 100. 

14 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I'm with you,... print media is on life support.... as few as 10-12 years ago i would buy up to 5 newspapers a day , i personally was driven away from buying newspapers because they chose to become politically correct , one sided reporting, but i can still understand why print media of all types is nearly nearing extinction ......

3 hours ago, CAHokie said:

A part of me wishes they would go ahead and kill off Frank Castle and Peter Parker and other key characters for good so I could stop collecting all together. Make them whatever race, gender identity and political view you want as long as you stop doing it to the originals.  

Really, Punisher is Black and the only excuse they give is it's artist interpretation? Grow some ballls and just kill off Castle and have a Black guy take over....

They really do need to do that.  Just give them epic sendoffs.  Not that the originals all have to die, they can get hurt or retire.  They do need new characters that appeal to kids today and reflect them.  Continue to produce the originals in stories told in TPB form.  Call them untold tales or something.  That way it's not your father's Spider-Man, but kids and dad can still read what appeals to them.

6 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:
21 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I'm with you,... print media is on life support.... as few as 10-12 years ago i would buy up to 5 newspapers a day , i personally was driven away from buying newspapers because they chose to become politically correct , one sided reporting, but i can still understand why print media of all types is nearly nearing extinction ......

oooh...., trickledown from academia...., I'm intrigued!  :banana:

Tell me more...., :gossip: