• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just read....
1 1

105 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2017 at 7:52 PM, 01TheDude said:

I really enjoy the animated series-- considering finding a TPB or some real issues of this series to check it out.

They have 2 treasuries that they released for Local Comic Shop Day each of the past two years with both housing 6 issues.  That might be a more affordable option.  The books are a great extension of the series in my mind.

On 4/22/2017 at 0:03 AM, Readcomix said:

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Century 1969....disjointed, trying too hard, not at all like its predecessors. Seemed like a pale aping of Morrison's Doom Patrol, albeit with a few clever kernels .... Story, once you locate two thirds of the way through, hinges on the concept of serial possession, and the satanic immortal villain is conducting what is referred to as hippie fascism (I wonder if Moore is familiar with Dave MacGowan's work?) and there's a clever send-up of a British band that is clearly Stones-inspired, singing lyrics that are a clever homage to Sympathy for the Devil. It's weak, but comes together in the end. Take it or leave it.

I just discovered him about a year ago. Great stuff by the guy. His death though was a little shocking at a somewhat young age. 

After all these years, finally, Ronin.

I wasn't missing much. Trite, convoluted, abrupt cuts from scene to scene .... Archie Goodwin praised Miller for aping a movie, but had this been made into a film it would be another early 70's style sci fi also-ran. Almost every character was underdeveloped. So many comics writers don't seem to get that by losing the thought balloons you diminish a unique aspect of the form.

You can't effectively imitate film just because comics are in some way like film storyboards, especially if you drop thought balloons. Storyboards are not a final product; comics are. Movies rely on actors in action to bring aspects of a character to life. Movie-like comics are part of what hot us into the mess we have today, not some advancement of the medium.

This goes up for sale and out of my collection. 

On 4/22/2017 at 2:35 AM, Ken Aldred said:

At least they didn't try to bargain them down, something like...

'Hmm, that's a bit of a tall order.  What about the British Isles? Would they do instead?'

No it had to be north america thats where the alien placed the rare element needed to save the galaxy!!!!!

15 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I wasn't missing much. Trite, convoluted, abrupt cuts from scene to scene .... Archie Goodwin praised Miller for aping a movie, but had this been made into a film it would be another early 70's style sci fi also-ran. Almost every character was underdeveloped. So many comics writers don't seem to get that by losing the thought balloons you diminish a unique aspect of the form.

You can't effectively imitate film just because comics are in some way like film storyboards, especially if you drop thought balloons. Storyboards are not a final product; comics are. Movies rely on actors in action to bring aspects of a character to life. Movie-like comics are part of what hot us into the mess we have today, not some advancement of the medium.

agree 100%.  and yes in movies you can only show.  expositional voiceovers are a dud.  

Just now, kav said:

agree 100%.  and yes in movies you can only show.  expositional voiceovers are a dud.  

Thx Kav! I figure we're in the minority on this one, but I stuck it out, read it all, couldn't connect to the characters. The surprise twist ending confirmed it for me when I couldn't care. The characters never became real to me so it left me flat.

4 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Thx Kav! I figure we're in the minority on this one, but I stuck it out, read it all, couldn't connect to the characters. The surprise twist ending confirmed it for me when I couldn't care. The characters never became real to me so it left me flat.

I think it boiled down to the characters didnt care about anything so the audience didnt care about them.  this is screenwriting 101-MAKE YOUR CHARACTERS CARE ABOUT SOMETHING!  It was all gimmicks instead.

Ps this is why many movies put a dog in the -script-character cares about dog-we care about them.  Eg John wick.

5 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Miller didn't make the transition from comic book creator to film director terribly well (The Spirit).  The only time his work successfully translated to film was while assisted by a talented director with the right skill set; Robert Rodriguez. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Miller didn't make the transition from comic book creator to film director terribly well (The Spirit).  The only time his work successfully translated to film was while assisted by a talented director with the right skill set; Robert Rodriguez. 

I did not know he actually worked in film, but Ronin reads and looks like a film fanboy making a comic book in a movie's image, not a like the work of a comic creator working lovingly in his medium. 

Few weeks ago I finally picked up the last 4 trades of Fathertree Elfquest trades.  I finished Book 5-7 and am up to book 8.  I am not a big fantasy reader but there is something quite magical about Pini's stories and drawings.

22 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I did not know he actually worked in film, but Ronin reads and looks like a film fanboy making a comic book in a movie's image, not a like the work of a comic creator working lovingly in his medium. 

Sin City, which he 'co-directed' with Rodriguez.

4 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Sin City, which he 'co-directed' with Rodriguez.

Thx; his ambitions make his comics work make more sense to me. I like but unlike many do not love his comics work. DD yes, and the DK plot/concept, but otherwise he's in the OK camp for me. The filmmaker wannabe thing sheds light on this.

3 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Gasp! #4 from ACG. SA horror anthology with decidedly 50's Art.,pretty cool, especially ghosts vs Nazis and a giant octopus-like serpentine thing stuck into the legend of the Marie Celeste. What's not to like???

image.jpeg

Ah yes Lou Wahl aka Kurt Schaffenberger

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

Really? I did not know that pseudonym. Thx! 

Sal Trapani does the lead story inside; cool, old-school feel.

yep thats him alright!