• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just read....
1 1

105 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Giant-Sized X-Men 1 and Uncanny X-men 94 to 100! 

I forgot how good these Claremont and Cockrum X-Men were.

51V%2BW0e-JcL._AC_UL320_SR224,320_.jpg

+1

I'd continue from there.  Not sure if you know, but this obscure series gets even better later on. :baiting:

Edited by Ken Aldred

Finished Savage Sword of Conan vol 1. Never read any of the Savage Sword stuff due to the magazine format. Overall pretty solid. Now on to Showcase: The Losers vol 1 (OFF 123-150, GIC 138), Superman Man of Steel vol 3, and Hellblazer Vol 1. 

Edited by FutureFlash

For a couple of dollars I got those: "True Believers" Giant Size Xmen #1 and Xmen #1 Reprints, I read them! Overall well thought out, it was nice to read them for the first time back to back and see a kind of progression, ;) 

I just read the first four issues of Rick and Morty which I thoroughly enjoyed.  

Also read the Marvel Premiere run featuring Iron Fist and the first 12 issues of Iron Fist.  It was fun to see how they picked things here and there from the comics and put them into the Netflix  series.

Still reading DC SA sci fi books-just read the one where aliens had to borrow north america to save their world-and the entire universe!!!!  At first the earthlings weren't gonna let em borrow north america to save their world till they found out -THEY'D BE NEXT!

Just read Boy Comics #27....guy shot in arm with arrow, wrist-slash suicide, lady killed with club to head...gotta love GA crime books! Biro had the productivity output pace of a Kirby, but he wrote like Ditko, in that he had clear morality messages that he put across. All in all, enjoyable. 

12 hours ago, kav said:

Still reading DC SA sci fi books-just read the one where aliens had to borrow north america to save their world-and the entire universe!!!!  At first the earthlings weren't gonna let em borrow north america to save their world till they found out -THEY'D BE NEXT!

Ah, a classic example of the saying that 'behind every altruistic act is a selfish motivation'.

14 hours ago, pjray55 said:

Also read the Marvel Premiere run featuring Iron Fist and the first 12 issues of Iron Fist.  It was fun to see how they picked things here and there from the comics and put them into the Netflix  series.

The Claremont and Byrne run is really good, especially how well-integrated the individual issues are into a continuing storyline, as they'd perfect on X-Men.

On 4/20/2017 at 4:29 PM, pjray55 said:

I just read the first four issues of Rick and Morty which I thoroughly enjoyed.  

I really enjoy the animated series-- considering finding a TPB or some real issues of this series to check it out.

Edited by 01TheDude

On 4/20/2017 at 6:23 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

For a couple of dollars I got those: "True Believers" Giant Size Xmen #1 and Xmen #1 Reprints, I read them! Overall well thought out, it was nice to read them for the first time back to back and see a kind of progression, ;) 

I got them both as well, never read them before!

12 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Ah, a classic example of the saying that 'behind every altruistic act is a selfish motivation'.

The Earthlings thought it was Commensalism but actually it was Mutualism.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Century 1969....disjointed, trying too hard, not at all like its predecessors. Seemed like a pale aping of Morrison's Doom Patrol, albeit with a few clever kernels .... Story, once you locate two thirds of the way through, hinges on the concept of serial possession, and the satanic immortal villain is conducting what is referred to as hippie fascism (I wonder if Moore is familiar with Dave MacGowan's work?) and there's a clever send-up of a British band that is clearly Stones-inspired, singing lyrics that are a clever homage to Sympathy for the Devil. It's weak, but comes together in the end. Take it or leave it.

7 hours ago, kav said:

The Earthlings thought it was Commensalism but actually it was Mutualism.

At least they didn't try to bargain them down, something like...

'Hmm, that's a bit of a tall order.  What about the British Isles? Would they do instead?'

6 hours ago, Readcomix said:

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Century 1969....disjointed, trying too hard, not at all like its predecessors. Seemed like a pale aping of Morrison's Doom Patrol, albeit with a few clever kernels .... Story, once you locate two thirds of the way through, hinges on the concept of serial possession, and the satanic immortal villain is conducting what is referred to as hippie fascism (I wonder if Moore is familiar with Dave MacGowan's work?) and there's a clever send-up of a British band that is clearly Stones-inspired, singing lyrics that are a clever homage to Sympathy for the Devil. It's weak, but comes together in the end. Take it or leave it.

The later LOEG works are indeed harder to get through. I just don't have the literary resume to enjoy everything Moore and O'Neill are putting in there. (Actually, even the second LOEG pales in comparison to the first IMO.) Maybe I'll give Century and the Black Dossier another go round.

6 hours ago, Bird said:

The later LOEG works are indeed harder to get through. I just don't have the literary resume to enjoy everything Moore and O'Neill are putting in there. (Actually, even the second LOEG pales in comparison to the first IMO.) Maybe I'll give Century and the Black Dossier another go round.

You're not missing much. The literary references are forced and gratuitous in this one, not well-integrated and functional. He probably should have moved on to a different project after the first one.

33 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

You're not missing much. The literary references are forced and gratuitous in this one, not well-integrated and functional. He probably should have moved on to a different project after the first one.

I preferred his comparatively straightforward work at ABC, especially Top Ten and Tom Strong.