• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dennis Barger Jr vs CGC!

77 posts in this topic

Dennis Barger Jr vs CGC!

I'm not sure if anyone follows Dennis L Barger Jr on facebook but the guy appears to be losing his mind over a potential error on CGCs part.  Yesterday he posted these two pictures of a MP 15 CGC 9.2 that obviously has water damage let alone enough damage to the front cover to not be a 9.2.  His initial quote "Once again, more proof of how fundamentally flawed CGC Comics is at grading... this is a garbage book graded way to high yet they are allowed exclusive grading at ReedPOP shows. I will only use CBCS Comics for my grading no matter how much in payola or kickbacks CGC is giving to be the only game at the con." 

He posted up a discussion between a CGC rep that request he send back the book if it was an error.  Now this is where it gets really crazy - he writes "I've actually heard rumors they grade low on key books then send out buyers to get them to then regrade higher to reap the higher profits, not saying that's true at all"  That is some conspiracy theory in overload.

He writes "Oh god the boot licking is coming out of the wood work. Someone must have posted an olli olli ocsenfree on the cgc boards that Dennis is exposing the flawed grading service again".  Well now they have.

You may be asking "who the heck is Dennis Barger?  He is a very outspoken comic book dealer out of the Detroit area  who seems to revel in all things CBCS.

MP 15 CGc 9.2 Front.jpg

MP 15 CGC 9.2 Back.jpg

MP 15 Info.jpg

Sometimes people want to create something that isn't there. Would CGC really risk their reputation on a book like that? More than likely it slipped through the cracks (maybe got mixed up with another high grade copy) due to all the hustle and bustle of on site grading and the short timeline they have to get the books back.

Human error. Accidental. Mix up.

Words that some will not come to someones mind when this happens although more times than not that is all it is.

8 minutes ago, Murphman13 said:

Sometimes people want to create something that isn't there. Would CGC really risk their reputation on a book like that? More than likely it slipped through the cracks (maybe got mixed up with another high grade copy) due to all the hustle and bustle of on site grading and the short timeline they have to get the books back.

Human error. Accidental. Mix up.

Words that some will not come to someones mind when this happens although more times than not that is all it is.

It's got a bunch of divots in the spine too.  I thought the big auction houses only got passes on stuff like that for early silver age...,

Its so easy to photoshop the labels to change the grades.  I could do this in a couple of minutes.  These cgc haters (or CBCS freaks) are insane.  I made a comment on Instagram asking someone why they got an X-Men #1 7.0 graded by CBCS instead of CGC.  I wasn't the only one.  Within 15 minutes 5 others asked the same question saying they would've considered buying the book had it been graded by CGC.  Within minutes I started getting replies from a user freaking out about how CBCS is the best blah blah blah...  Turns out he's a witness for CBCS.  I told him I had no skin in the game and bottom line I choose CGC because I won't use an inferior product.  That shut him up but he continued to go after the others.  There are signs CBCS isn't doing too well (Many signs...  Perhaps for another thread) and I think some of these people know this and are trying to fight back.  Obviously if its difficult to see if you don't participate in other venues such as Instagram, Facebook but this type of thing happens frequently.  Part of the price paid for being the leader at anything.  

8 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Couldn't anyone dunk a graded comic to create water damage & then post it up to try and make a company look like they made a mistake?  

Why bother responding to it... (shrug)

I thought the same thing but doesn't it take awhile for dark water marks to stain a book?  I guess the mostly closed slab would accelerate the process but the water marks look pretty old to me.  I can understand CGC making mistakes with million of books flowing in and out each year.  I'm sure CBCS has made a few also.  He must be really mad about the C2E2 exclusive to go this over-the-top with a possible mistake.

Edited by 1Cool

9 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Couldn't anyone dunk a graded comic to create water damage & then post it up to try and make a company look like they made a mistake?  

Would the water penetrate the sealed mylar?

3 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:
13 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I don't know, try it and report back. :smirk:

After actually looking at the book a bit I can't see this as anything but a label swap out....that book hasn't been near mint since 1978.

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

After actually looking at the book a bit I can't see this as anything but a label swap out....that book hasn't been near mint since 1978.

Would have been a good Myth Busters. 

That's what I was getting at...why would anyone slab it in the first place?

23 minutes ago, bababooey said:
29 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:
39 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Like the quant said, it's probably a photoshop or label switch or something.  The book isn't anywhere close to the grade either with the water damage or without it.

I bought CGC book from New Orleans after Katrina (wasn't thinking quite straight, I guess) and to me, the slab looked like it had been dipped in water (and mud and sewage...,).  I cracked the book out, and it was fine.

7 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Or buy the graders notes and see what it has to say

:gossip: you make too much $^#&*ing sense to last long around here....,

I believe Newshane tested it a while back that water actually would penetrate the sealed mylar. 

Edit: Found the post. 

Edited by deadleg

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

:gossip: you make too much $^#&*ing sense to last long around here....,

I just tried to look them up 1401373002 and its an invalid cert #.  Either CGC removed the book (which I think they said they would) or its a BS number.

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=1401373002

I also find it interesting that Mark Roman, the signature program coordinator at CBCS, "thanks" Berger for the "advertising".  This whole thing reeks of deception.

https://www.facebook.com/dennis.barger 

They do make errors, sent in my first sub in about 3 years and 3 of the 4 books were mislabled.  It took longer for the reholdering than the original grading lol, but they took care of it quick and painless.    I'll go with the fastest.  I like both companies but CGC is 6 weeks faster right now.