• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Golden-Age Reprints, Facsimiles, and Replicas

6 posts in this topic

Favorite Golden-Age Reprints, Facsimiles, and Replicas

I recently finally got my hands on a Superman #1 replica from the Masterpiece Edition boxed set from 1999. The main "tell" is that it uses three staples. Otherwise a full reprint with ads, original dimensions.

I'm also fond of the recent Loot Crate Action #1 as a reading book because of the newsprint and inclusion of the ads, even though it's modern dimensions. The best copy I could get pressed and graded was a 9.6 though. There's only one 9.8 on the census but that will be a tall order with it being thin cover stock, newsprint, etc. It looked like most copies on eBay have visible spine tears from a shipping or manufacturing issue. 

I noticed some nice Classics Illustrated replicas at Meltdown Comics the last time I was in L.A.

I'm not a fan of how most reprints have borders around the cover. (Ie. Millennium Edition/Silver Age Classic/various Marvel reprints.) The Famous First Editions are nice but a little too big for my tastes and the external cover on those (like the USPS Action's) get in the way of display value. So I've started getting into international reprints, for slabbing and eventual display behind UV glass at least. The originals at a decent grade are well out of my budget unfortunately.

I have a couple of All-Star #3's, an All-Star #8, and a Detective #27 (all fairly recent international reprints) getting graded right now. They're in QC at the moment. Also have a Whiz Comics #2 reprint from a smaller publisher getting slabbed since that one slipped into public domain. I may update with pictures as they come in! I've also considered slabbing those DC Replicas from the early 2000s of the 80 page giants but, honestly, none of those are really keys and the originals aren't nearly as unattainable.

Anyway, what are your favorite reprints/replicas/facsimiles for the books that escape you?

When they were still publishing them I used to supply Cory over at Marvel with material for their golden-age and Atlas series of books and he did a top notch job with them.

For me the old book and record reprints from 1966 of the Marvel keys look pretty close to the originals minus price markings. They aren't cheap anymore.