• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you live in Long Island...
1 1

35 posts in this topic

Man, that isn't near anybody!

I am about 2 hours away and was considering going. The ad says he will sell all the art to one person, so make an offer!

Here's what I want to share about estate sales in my neck of the woods. People will get there early, even sleep in their cars in the driveway. There is a list to sign up and if you are not in the first wave in the house (5-10 people at a time) you are out of luck. Once in, pick up anything you are remotely interested in or someone else will, you can always put it back, but there is no time to debate. I have seen people take the list from the first person in front of them and tear it up once they found out they would not be in the first wave. I have seen the cops called by the company running the sales. The die hard people can be animals at these things. To whoever goes, be fast and get the art in your hands asap. Good luck to those of you in that neck of the woods and please post if you get anything. 

Edited by Drewsky

7 minutes ago, Drewsky said:

Here's what I want to share about estate sales in my neck of the woods. People will get there early, even sleep in their cars in the driveway. There is a list to sign up and if you are not in the first wave in the house (5-10 people at a time) you are out of luck. Once in, pick up anything you are remotely interested in or someone else will, you can always put it back, but there is no time to debate. I have seen people take the list from the first person in front of them and tear it up once they found out they would not be in the first wave. I have seen the cops called by the company running the sales. The die hard people can be animals at these things. To whoever goes, be fast and get the art in your hands asap. Good luck to those of you in that neck of the woods and please post if you get anything. 

Yikes! I hit some occasionally here in central NJ but it is pretty chill. There may be a line but it is rare that others are looking at the comics. I passed on a nice wire shelving rack about two months ago that my 14 year old was stunned I did not jump on. I told her the other night she was right, that would have been $20 well spent! I have only had one comics score (5 tupperware bins of moderns), but I will keep going. There are so many once you start looking.

Edited by Bird
adding my elder child's Pratt visit is 9-2, so I won't be hitting Wambagh.

They have a few pages shown. I struggled to identify them though. Maybe a Colan Cap splash? Some Savage Sword pages (a bunch really).  A Sgt Fury page that may be Ayers / Shores? Funny the more you know the more you know you do not know.

Hard to pass up but my wife has one daughter doing something and I have to get the other to Pratt. Hmmmm. Time to network maybe. Or just do nothing. :sumo:

Five years ago I would have been very intrigued, very intrigued. Now less so. but still intrigued.

I don't live far from there, I sent a text to the estate seller. They said they have a current offer for $25k for the 310 pages. If anyone wants to top that you can contact them at the phone # listed on the site. From what I can see from the few photos shown there isn't a lot I'd be interested in. They told me there are Savage Sword of Conan pages, some Spectacular and Amazing Spider-Man pages. They confirmed no X-men pages.

I also got info from the seller. pages will be priced $10 ("for the Sad Sacks") to $600 a page "for a few of the Buscemas". They also mentioned a $25-$30K price for the whole lot but did not say how many pieces are in there.  They will post in the ad online on Friday night if they have sold the art as a lot or if it will be broken up as lots.

I think the $25K number is what they are fishing for.  However, unless they disclose exactly what they have, I seriously doubt if anyone would put out a blind offer on mystery pages.  I'm more interested in the merry go round pig than the OA. 

Cheers!

N.

Edited by NelsonAI

I looked at the art most pages are either pencilled or inked by bob hall mostly 82-84 . Some squadron supreme pages a page from legion of superheroes 2 and 3 Baxter editions Giffen and lighte . A page or three from champions tuska hall. Not much else of note best dom 

6 minutes ago, trimpehulk said:

I looked at the art most pages are either pencilled or inked by bob hall mostly 82-84 . Some squadron supreme pages a page from legion of superheroes 2 and 3 Baxter editions Giffen and lighte . A page or three from champions tuska hall. Not much else of note best dom 

He claimed to have 60s Sgt Fury pages.  Any truth in that?

1 minute ago, jaybuck43 said:

2 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

He claimed to have 60s Sgt Fury page

s.  Any truth in that?

4 minutes ago, trimpehulk said:

Yes maybe a dozen none pencilled by Kirby

Did Kirby do Fury?  I know he did a few covers but I thought Ayers did like most of the books.

Ayers probably. Not sure not a title I know well. A big disappointment as far as the pages go 3-5 1970s pages. The avengers hall pages and Peter Parker and  amazing spm pages no action sequences no splash pages. Some rom From mtio 99

Can you shed any light on what "Buscema" was there?

Maybe I will just be a Sad Sack and go buy some Sad Sack art!

Edited by Bird
The Sgt Fury page in the picture has an issue # on it. My eyes are bad but I thought it worked out to Ayers inked by Syd Shores