• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers #1 restoration or pressing?

15 posts in this topic

Avengers #1 restoration or pressing?

I just won this at an auction 

here are the grader notes:

brittle/fragile cover

medium split top of spine

multiple chip out cover

three fourths split bottom of spine

my question is do I try to press and get a signature to keep it unrestored or get this restored, and signed later?

im torn over keeping it blue labeled over purple label for future value

any possible opinions welcomed

Screen_Shot_2017-04-05_at_6_18.01_PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 6.18.34 PM.png

17 hours ago, uscmex said:

so do you think this can be pressed?

I don't think pressing will buy you much.  If you have the graders notes you could get more feedback in regards to pressable defects.  I'm not sure, but I would guess books with extensive chipping may not be great pressing candidates.  Don't know if the heat would increase the potential for chipping or not.  There are definitely people in this forum who would know ( @joeypost ).  

This book is brittle and fragile.  It's delicate and any work you have done on it could easily cause further damage.

Think pieces flying off, spine splits growing longer and/or the spine completely separating the entire length of the cover.

And in general restoration detracts from value rather than increases value.  That's why people are buying restored books and removing restoration.

47 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

This book is brittle and fragile.  It's delicate and any work you have done on it could easily cause further damage.

Think pieces flying off, spine splits growing longer and/or the spine completely separating the entire length of the cover.

And in general restoration detracts from value rather than increases value.  That's why people are buying restored books and removing restoration.

I totally agree...

On 4/6/2017 at 6:37 PM, Patriot6 said:

Don't press, don't restore. 

Personally, I would avoid a signature as well.

Blue label is always better in my opinion. 

+1

There's precious few Key books that haven't got a signature on them. Personally, nothing makes my heart weep more than a thick-marker Stan Lee scrawl over a Key #1 SA book. Leave as is.

There's already enough Lee SS books on the market, sell your copy and buy one already signed. You'll probably save money if you have patience. Or you could get him to sign the case and take a picture of him signing it. 

On 4/5/2017 at 10:43 PM, uscmex said:

so do you think this can be pressed?

You have the grader's notes, a brittle/fragile cover with spine splits,chips and visible tanning.  I think the last thing this book needs is to apply heat and pressure. I am afraid it would disintegrate into ash. Even if it survives a press, these days giving it to Stan to sign is even more dangerous. I've been seeing some awful examples lately.

Based on these notes: brittle/fragile cover, medium split top of spine, multiple chip out cover, three fourths split bottom of spine. A press would never add pieces back or cause a spine split to seal itself, so it would not benefit the book. In the case of this book it would most likely cause more damage even if it was done by someone who knew what they were doing. The ones that do know, would never accept a book like that.

I think you should get the signature. On this book it is more valuable than not having it. Just make sure you create a window where you want stan to sign so he doesn't epic fail.  I also heard most people are pressing everything they send in nowadays but I'm not sure.