• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
2 2

74 posts in this topic

A mini debate in another thread sparked this thought, though I'm not sure whether or not it has been covered elsewhere. We all know that CGC tends to put the emphasis on technical grade over eye appeal, presumably because technical matters can be measured fairly consistently, while beauty is in the eye of the holder.

So here you can post examples from your collection of either books with great eye appeal regardless of the technical grade, and conversely, books with a high grade but relatively low eye appeal.

I think this one is possibly my most beautiful book, and it is fairly high grade as well.

Planet Comics #29 CGC 9.2.jpg

Rather nice :x

3 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Sorry for iphone glare but this is proof that not all 1.5s are created equal at least visually speaking...

Marvel Mystery Comics #28

2 hours ago, comicjack said:

This one not so much for the grade but the colors are awesome along with the paper 

f32_zpsc6b2efa1.jpg

5 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

This one presents way better than the given grade.

PlanetComics2865NicolasCage.JPG

There are so many things I like about this book.

1. It's a Planet

2. Sensational cover.

3. Sensational colours

4. Ingels art noted

5. Old old label

6. It belonged to Cage

7. The spine looks plump, prob not pressed

8. The wrap

Fantastic :applause:

Edited by Grantley Goddard

4 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

A mini debate in another thread sparked this thought, though I'm not sure whether or not it has been covered elsewhere. We all know that CGC tends to put the emphasis on technical grade over eye appeal, presumably because technical matters can be measured fairly consistently, while beauty is in the eye of the holder.

So here you can post examples from your collection of either books with great eye appeal regardless of the technical grade, and conversely, books with a high grade but relatively low eye appeal.

I think this one is possibly my most beautiful book, and it is fairly high grade as well.

Planet Comics #29 CGC 9.2.jpg

Gotta say you have pretty high standards when a 9.2 on a book from 1944 is "fairly high grade" :foryou:   totally agree about it being a really beautiful book!

I'll go the other way, with a book that's probably overgraded.

I love this Baker cover, but the tanning along the spine and the damage at the bottom makes giving it a 6.0 a stretch for me. (Please forget I ever said this should I try to sell this copy to you, in which case it's a rare beauty, I tell you, an undergraded beauty!)

RAD4B2F420161013_113849_zpsybdhzfqy.jpg

At the other end, these two Baker 5.0s were hammered for creases (rightly, I think, in a technical sense), but the books both appeal to me beyond their grades.

1afcc7dd-1cfe-4501-9763-3f5a4798366b_zps

ca5993cb-9e84-4a2d-b477-cbfd7d6d5b6a_zps

49 minutes ago, ender said:

Gotta say you have pretty high standards when a 9.2 on a book from 1944 is "fairly high grade" :foryou:   totally agree about it being a really beautiful book!

Point taken.  lol

Somewhere out there is the Church copy, which may or may not be the 9.6 that tops the census. I suppose it's also that this copy has eye appeal that - arguably - exceeds the given grade, because it looks so fresh... everything is relative...