• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
2 2

74 posts in this topic

That's a great example of a defect I didn't even see until it was pointed out or I started to scan the entire cover better. Subtle.

Thats the type of defect I don't mind having on a book that looks that much better than the number.

2 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:
3 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

why i oughta...

...post a selfie - perfect example for this thread

one way or the other....

lol

Oh, it would definitely be only one way.

On the other hand this book is very faded looking. I would love to visually upgrade at some point to a 5.0 like above...

nickel8.jpg

5 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

On the other hand this book is very faded looking. I would love to visually upgrade at some point to a 5.0 like above...

nickel8.jpg

Richard;

Did you pick up this Allentown copy of Nickel Comics 8 way back in the Greg manning Auction or was it after that?  hm

4 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Would it be from the McLaughlin collection? John was known for letting his cats pee on his MH's.

Yes, exactly. 

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Richard;

Did you pick up this Allentown copy of Nickel Comics 8 way back in the Greg manning Auction or was it after that?  hm

It was long after that. Metro had it on their site a couple of years ago.

26 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Richard;

It was long after that. Metro had it on their site a couple of years ago.

Well, looks like it's still in its original holder from when I had it sent to CGC back in 2000 to see how their grading would turn out.  (thumbsu

19 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

A mini debate in another thread sparked this thought, though I'm not sure whether or not it has been covered elsewhere. We all know that CGC tends to put the emphasis on technical grade over eye appeal, presumably because technical matters can be measured fairly consistently, while beauty is in the eye of the holder.

So here you can post examples from your collection of either books with great eye appeal regardless of the technical grade, and conversely, books with a high grade but relatively low eye appeal.

I think this one is possibly my most beautiful book, and it is fairly high grade as well.

Planet Comics #29 CGC 9.2.jpg

I swear my heart skipped a beat when I saw this book. 

23 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

A mini debate in another thread sparked this thought, though I'm not sure whether or not it has been covered elsewhere. We all know that CGC tends to put the emphasis on technical grade over eye appeal, presumably because technical matters can be measured fairly consistently, while beauty is in the eye of the holder.

So here you can post examples from your collection of either books with great eye appeal regardless of the technical grade, and conversely, books with a high grade but relatively low eye appeal.

I think this one is possibly my most beautiful book, and it is fairly high grade as well.

Planet Comics #29 CGC 9.2.jpg

4 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I swear my heart skipped a beat when I saw this book. 

Nurse! Charge the defibrillators!

Planet Comics #11 CGC 8.5.jpg

Here are a pair of books that I have that I think illustrates Flex's point.  One of these books is not like the other.

No label notes on this one.  Cr/OW pages.

scan0001a.jpg

Label notes: 2 staples added, not manufacturing.  2 tapes stains on spine of cover.  Cr/OW pages

scan0003a.jpg

And the answer is:

scan0001.jpg

scan0003.jpg

3 hours ago, walclark said:

Here are a pair of books that I have that I think illustrates Flex's point.  One of these books is not like the other.

No label notes on this one.  Cr/OW pages.

scan0001a.jpg

Label notes: 2 staples added, not manufacturing.  2 tapes stains on spine of cover.  Cr/OW pages

scan0003a.jpg

And the answer is:

scan0001.jpg

scan0003.jpg

That's a pretty 3.0.