• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
2 2

74 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

youngallies4.jpg

Hey Mr. E this is completely off topic but I just picked up 8 tickets for my family for April 26th when the Tribe hosts the Astros!!! We will be 4 rows back behind 1st base to the right of the dugout. I'm taking my Dad, my son, my older brother and his son, and our wives. It will be both of our Sons 1st games they are just getting old enough to sit in their own seats. 3 generations of Paulus Men all attending the game together it's gonna be epic fun!! Just thought i would mention since your such a HUGE Stros' fan it will be your team vs mine for his first ever game!!! Should be a great matchup!! Keep your eyes peeled you may see us:)

Oh and SWEEEEEEEET BOOK!!! 

4 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Hey Mr. E this is completely off topic but I just picked up 8 tickets for my family for April 26th when the Tribe hosts the Astros!!! We will be 4 rows back behind 1st base to the right of the dugout. I'm taking my Dad, my son, my older brother and his son, and our wives. It will be both of our Sons 1st games they are just getting old enough to sit in their own seats. 3 generations of Paulus Men all attending the game together it's gonna be epic fun!! Just thought i would mention since your such a HUGE Stros' fan it will be your team vs mine for his first ever game!!! Should be a great matchup!! Keep your eyes peeled you may see us:)

Oh and SWEEEEEEEET BOOK!!! 

I so wish I could be at that game. If they meet in the playoffs I will try to go to Cleveland. I hope y'all have a blast.

Edited by MrBedrock

On 4/7/2017 at 1:44 PM, MrBedrock said:

On the other hand this book is very faded looking. I would love to visually upgrade at some point to a 5.0 like above...

nickel8.jpg

Fascinating thread, this. However, based on the samples presented here, it looks like it's a lot easier to find low-grade books with high eye appeal, and not so much the high-grade books with low eye appeal. Richard's Nickel #8 example is a good demonstration of how high grade does not necessarily translate to a superb looking book. It would be interesting to see more examples of the high grade/low eye appeal books. I don't have much to contribute along those lines, since most of my books are low grade! (:

On 4/7/2017 at 3:44 PM, MrBedrock said:

On the other hand this book is very faded looking. I would love to visually upgrade at some point to a 5.0 like above...

nickel8.jpg

I think you are selling this copy short.  The book was printed with a pastel color design and while this copy might not be as intense as a Church copy it looks mighty nice to me.  For comparison, here's a link to one in a bound volume.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/nickel-comics-1-8-bound-volume-fawcett-1940-/a/827-42331.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

On April 9, 2017 at 6:54 AM, adamstrange said:

I think you are selling this copy short.  The book was printed with a pastel color design and while this copy might not be as intense as a Church copy it looks mighty nice to me.  For comparison, here's a link to one in a bound volume.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/nickel-comics-1-8-bound-volume-fawcett-1940-/a/827-42331.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

This 8.5 from Heritage does look like deeper colours but it's background looks more blue-greenish where as yours looks more blue.

7475251%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=ur

So I'm guessing you paid more green for your copy but actually got less green on your cover.

Hopefully it doesn't smell of cat pee too.

Edited by N e r V

Have you compared your copy side by side with MrB's?

I do see a difference between the copies (it's not large, imho, as both copies show soft colors) but since the images are from different scanners I'm cautious about making judgments of real life differences.

5 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I do see a difference between the copies (it's not large, imho, as both copies show soft colors) but since the images are from different scanners I'm cautious about making judgments of real life differences.

Yes - unless you can lay the books next to each other, it's  difficult to tell how much they actually vary.

On 4/10/2017 at 11:57 AM, adamstrange said:

I mistakenly sold Billy that copy. He really ripped me off. It has much better colors than the Allentown.

Never trust a cajun!:frustrated:

On ‎2017‎/‎04‎/‎10 at 10:29 AM, N e r V said:

This 8.5 from Heritage does look like deeper colours but it's background looks more blue-greenish where as yours looks more blue.

7475251%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=ur

So I'm guessing you paid more green for your copy but actually got less green on your cover.

Hopefully it doesn't smell of cat pee too.

Heritage "tweaks" a lot of their scans. A good indicator of what color they have tweaked is to look at the CGC label. The CGC label should be blue as it appears on the slabs, but in this case it is a yellowish orange which to me indicates they tweaked the yellow in an attempt to make the yellow stand out on that copy. Tweaking by adding more yellow to the scan would make an otherwise blue background appear more teal.

Edited by Artboy99