• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATMAN AND HARLEY QUINN animated movie (8/29/17)

20 posts in this topic

BATMAN AND HARLEY QUINN animated movie (2017)

BIG BANG THEORY Actress Melissa Rauch Will Voice Harley In The BATMAN AND HARLEY QUINN Animated Feature

Fans had been wondering who'd join Kevin Conroy's Dark Knight as Harley Quinn in Warner Bros.' latest animated feature, and now we know that it'll be none other than Big Bang Theory's Melissa Rauch.

Empire has debuted a new image from the next original animated movie from Warner Bros., Batman And Harley Quinn, and exclusively revealed that The Big Bang Theory actress Melissa Rauch will provide the voice for Harley.

"I love that Harley is a badass and, beyond that, that she uses her humor as another weapon in her arsenal," Rauch told the mag. "She knows just how to diffuse a situation with her humor, and how to incite a situation with her sarcasm. It's a dream role."

The story will focus on Bats (Kevin Conroy) and Nightwing (Loren Lester) reluctantly teaming up with Harley Quinn to attempt to stop a global catastrophe caused by Poison Ivy (Paget Brewster) and Jason Woodrue, AKA the Plant-Master.

Edited by Bosco685

‘Batman and Harley Quinn’ Cast, Characters, and Story Details Revealed [Updated]

4SkKaWg.png

• Batman – Kevin Conroy returns to the role he made famous.
  • Harley Quinn – Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory) will be performing the other title role.
  • Nightwing – Loren Lester also returns to voice the character he brought to life on Batman: The Animated Series.
  • Poison Ivy – Paget Brewster (Criminal Minds) goes to the villainous side of things after voicing Lana Lang and Lois Lane in previous animated DC movies.
  • Swamp Thing – John DiMaggio (Ben 10).

Edited by Bosco685

‘Batman and Harley Quinn’ is coming to theaters for one-night only

Warner Bros. Studios, DC Entertainment and Fathom Events are proud to announce a special, one-night cinema event for the latest DC Universe Original Movie, “Batman and Harley Quinn,” on August 14, 2017 in movie theaters nationwide.

One night prior to the Digital release and 15 days in advance of its arrival on Blu-ray™ and DVD, “Batman and Harley Quinn” will screen Monday, August 14 at 7:30 p.m. local time. In addition to seeing the film, audiences at the one-night screening will be the first to experience an exclusive featurette spotlighting the film’s star character, Harley Quinn.

Tickets for “Batman and Harley Quinn” can be purchased beginning Friday, June 30, 2017 online by visiting www.FathomEvents.com or at participating theater box offices. Fans throughout the U.S. will be able to enjoy the event in select movie theaters through Fathom’s Digital Broadcast Network (DBN). A complete list of theater locations will be available June 30 on the Fathom Events website (theaters and participants are subject to change).

Bruce Timm On Whether Batman & Harley Quinn Is In The Animated Series Continuity

The return of Bruce Timm and several voice actors from Batman: The Animated Series makes Batman and Harley Quinn an exciting return to form for fans of the DC Animated Universe, but is the latest DC Universe Animated Original Movie actually in the same continuity as the beloved cartoon series?

Timm tells ComicBook.com at Comic-Con International: San Diego that it was always his intent for Batman and Harley Quinn to be part of the Batman: The Animated Series universe.

“It’s kind of classic Harley,” Timm says. “Early on we decided we were going to set the movie in the classic, Batman: The Animated Series universe. That meant the character designs and bringing Kevin [Conroy] and Loren [Lester] back to play Batman and Nightwing.

“So it's kind of the classic Harley. She’s kind of the wacky clown girl. When we meet her in the beginning of the story she’s actually kind of tried to put that behind her and she’s out of prison and she’s just trying to get on with her life and then Batman, of course, just has to pull her right back into the whole capes and cowls thing and then Wacky hijinks ensue.”

Batman and Harley Quinn review

Batman & Harley Quinn is a unique beast! Yes, it’s presented as a continuation of Batman the Animated Series, but beyond the design, animation, and roughly the first two to three scenes, this is nothing like its source. So be warned.

THE PLOT

The plot of Batman and Harley Quinn is a rather simple one that is covered perfectly by the synopsis. There aren’t any complex or intriguing layers to the plot, so don’t expect anything more than a paper-thin narrative. The “story” really is Batman and Nightwing teaming up with Harley Quinn to stop Poison Ivy and the Floronic Man from turning the world into unstable, plant people… and this plot is only here as a technicality. I mean, if you’re going to make a film, you have to tell some type of story (beginning, middle, and end), even if it’s just a means to an end. The real point of Batman & Harley Quinn is to tell jokes – potentially jokes that came to fruition years ago during the production of Batman the Animated Series as fleeting, “Wouldn’t it be funny if…” comments.

THE HUMOR

As I mentioned earlier, this is strictly a comedy. Because of that, I feel like I need to speak specifically to the humor found in the film. A chunk of the comedy is quite juvenile and inappropriate at times, but it manages to work on some levels, while other moments fall flat. I never thought that a Batman series/ film would stoop low enough to tell fart jokes, but alas… There are actual fart jokes. Don’t let this detour you from seeing the film though. Even when there are juvenile jokes, at times they work simply because of the characters’ reactions, or lack thereof. There are plenty of other examples of humor that honestly deserve recognition though.

OVERALL

Batman and Harley Quinn is a riot of a time. Depending on your taste in comedy and your limit for crudeness, well that will decide if this riot is good or bad. For me, I found it highly entertaining. I’ve watched the film a total of four times now though, and the more you watch it, the less it holds up because you learn all of the jokes. I will advise that the film is more fun to watch with a group of people who can find humor in this. I loved the experience I had at SDCC while watching it, mainly because I was able to actively comment on the absurdity of moments, then laugh at the said absurdity. The energy of others also plays well into the energy of the film, so just keep that in mind.

OVERALL SCORE: 7.0/10.0

I know my opinion isn't popular around here.  I am appalled at the smut DC is allowing to be released under their animated umbrella.  They have lost me as a customer for life.  I adore the animated films and comics.  I rush out and buy everything.  I will never do so again.  I could not make it pass the first ten minutes and had to shut it off.  I had my nieces with me and aside from the extremely apparent cheesecake, in your face sex shots, they cursed twice and Harley fights then is hopping into bed with NW.  WTF.    I am so happy I did waste money to see this in the movie theater.   I will never see another Bruce Timm film again.  He is dogsh*t to me.  He has no business putting out this fanboy .

1 hour ago, nocutename said:

I know my opinion isn't popular around here.  I am appalled at the smut DC is allowing to be released under their animated umbrella.  They have lost me as a customer for life.  I adore the animated films and comics.  I rush out and buy everything.  I will never do so again.  I could not make it pass the first ten minutes and had to shut it off.  I had my nieces with me and aside from the extremely apparent cheesecake, in your face sex shots, they cursed twice and Harley fights then is hopping into bed with NW.  WTF.    I am so happy I did waste money to see this in the movie theater.   I will never see another Bruce Timm film again.  He is dogsh*t to me.  He has no business putting out this fanboy .

I'm certainly not going to disagree with you on these points. I saw it in the theater and was really disappointed with how low they stooped in that regard. Certainly way worse than the Killing Joke movie's semi-gratuitous sex. One of the great things about Batman is it can be clean yet gritty and adult. It's not necessary to drag it into the cheap, lewd innuendo just to try to appeal to.... who?.. immature teenagers, but the guy behind was almost literally in hysterics at every line (you can imagine that made it even worse for me), so I guess he got his money's worth. It also completely lacked the pathos punch that BTAS usually packed into a scant 24 minutes and certainly is an embarrassment if you even suggest a comparison with Mask of the Phantasm. I did however feel Conroy was much more in-touch with his Batman voice this time than in KJ and the Harley actress was a worthy follow-up to Arleen Sorkin.

I didn't get all the singing either. I'd say probably a 6 out of 10 -- okay overall but with some real face-palm moments. Really what this movie mostly did was give me the chance to passionately explain to my brother how much better the early BTAS and Phantasm efforts were.

7 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I didn't get all the singing either. I'd say probably a 6 out of 10 -- okay overall but with some real face-palm moments. Really what this movie mostly did was give me the chance to passionately explain to my brother how much better the early BTAS and Phantasm efforts were.

What a missed opportunity if this is the case. They could have used this to introduce new fans to the old BTAS framework, which is still an incredible production.

I have been re-watching BTAS this summer.  I am currently finishing up Season 3.  The show is classic.  DC animated shows and films used to provide family entertainment.  I felt they keep that maintained that bar to entertain the kids but keep the story at higher level for adult enjoyment as well.  The last few movies they put out, I will never purchase anything from them blindly again.

@Martin Sinescu I am sorry that you paid to see it in the theatres.  I was all set to go to see it in the movie theatres too.  I would have demanded my money back after a  few minutes.  I am going to force myself to watch the full movie though.

7 hours ago, nocutename said:

I have been re-watching BTAS this summer.  I am currently finishing up Season 3.  The show is classic.  DC animated shows and films used to provide family entertainment.  I felt they keep that maintained that bar to entertain the kids but keep the story at higher level for adult enjoyment as well.  The last few movies they put out, I will never purchase anything from them blindly again.

@Martin Sinescu I am sorry that you paid to see it in the theatres.  I was all set to go to see it in the movie theatres too.  I would have demanded my money back after a  few minutes.  I am going to force myself to watch the full movie though.

Yeah I bought it last night so far I have fallen asleep 3 times trying to watch this film. Funny thing is my dog started the film back up and he fell asleep too watching it.

I personally think the D.C. Animated Universe fell apart starting with Justice League War. You might get a decent one every once in awhile since then, but nothing great. They are almost 30 films in so they are running out of ideas. 

Edited by reddwarf666222

@transplant

I wish I read the reviews but I purchased it blindly on the first day of release.

@reddwarf666222

I did not initially care for War either.  I recently revisited all the New52 DCUA movies.  That is what I am calling them but I guess it is DCUA New52/Rebirth?   I rather enjoy the Batman ones with Bad Blood being my favorite.  Thrones of Atlantis was  enjoyable but the end scenes seemed familiar and the movie overall didn't seem fresh.  

I had my issues with Judas Contract as well because of poor pacing and characterization.  The major fail was that the Brother Blood just felt like a plot point.  I didn't revisit that movie as I did the rewatching about a month after I watched that one.  Maybe it is better upon review.  Not sure.

I feel like they have made a fairly tight knit animated universe so far.  I would not count Killing Joke as part of the new universe.  It is ok not my original DCAU but still watchable and enjoyable for the most part. 

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:00 PM, nocutename said:

@transplant

I wish I read the reviews but I purchased it blindly on the first day of release.

@reddwarf666222

I did not initially care for War either.  I recently revisited all the New52 DCUA movies.  That is what I am calling them but I guess it is DCUA New52/Rebirth?   I rather enjoy the Batman ones with Bad Blood being my favorite.  Thrones of Atlantis was  enjoyable but the end scenes seemed familiar and the movie overall didn't seem fresh.  

I had my issues with Judas Contract as well because of poor pacing and characterization.  The major fail was that the Brother Blood just felt like a plot point.  I didn't revisit that movie as I did the rewatching about a month after I watched that one.  Maybe it is better upon review.  Not sure.

I feel like they have made a fairly tight knit animated universe so far.  I would not count Killing Joke as part of the new universe.  It is ok not my original DCAU but still watchable and enjoyable for the most part. 

I blind bought it too.

It was a piece of dung and I like the majority of Batman ones too.

I thought Doom was the "key" point of things looking bad for the animation division. But Justice League: War just galvanized a kind of terrible that has continued on. Granted, I loved The Flashpoint Paradox, enjoyed The Killing Joke and considered Gods & Monsters ok.

I skipped Justice League: Dark and Teen Titans: The Judas Contract too. Looks like I'm skipping some more now.