• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading, cost, series, etc. what determines your collection?

19 posts in this topic

Grading, cost, series, etc. what determines your collection?

As someone who just recently got back into collecting, I'm having trouble pinning down what I want to focus on. Admittedly, I jumped a bit heads over heels into things last year. Although I picked up some nice key-ish books (mainly bronze age), I recognized that most of the characters, storylines, and artwork I enjoy are from the silver age.

At this time I'm thinking about switching most of my collection over--which will likely be quite a bit of work. However I'm curious what others use to determine what they want to pickup. Are you looking at grading? Possibly setting a hard stop at say $500 per issue and getting the highest grade obtainable? Focusing on a specific series (e.g. Fantastic Four) or character(s)? What criteria are you using for your collection?

I've talked to a number of people who focus on collecting all the same grade, say 8.5 or 9, and a number of others who use the hard stop method. However there's a lot of items I like, and I'm afraid without setting some boundaries I'll quickly get out of line.

What are your thoughts on collecting?

Thank you!

I would go with your favorite character/title. Grade to me on vintage doesn't matter too much and shouldn't for you unless you're looking for investment. Then it'll cost you a pretty penny in the long run. I like books to be at least in VG, but am particular about staples being attached and staining. I can live with creases and minor tears/spine splits, especially if they are mainly on the back.

Pick titles that you have an emotional connection to, and pick a difficulty level + cost hard enough to make it

a challenge. Buying is not the same as collecting. I've spent over 10 years on some of mine and by now I expect

to be buried with them;-)

I got back into collecting in Jan last year. For some reason, there was not much EC out there, so I started going for DC silver first appearances. Somehow a few Marvel silver/bronze squeezed their way in... it is hard to keep any focus. I try to buy books with nice eye appeal and that are harder to find in nice shape. Price per book does not matter to me.

Echoing everyone else here, but just pick a character you have a particular affinity for, and start going after those books.  Pick a grade range you're comfortable with, and don't compromise.  If that means saving for the right copy, then do that.  If you put a ceiling on your price per book, there are some books you might want that you'll be automatically price out of.  I say settle on a grade and start the journey.

I decided to build a full graded DC Showcase set in 5.0 or better, because I liked the idea of so many different characters first appearing in the run.  I also liked the scarcity of some issues, which made the hunt all the more exciting. 

Pretty much agree with the others regarding their approaches.  Since I got back into collecting a few years ago, my main focus has been high grade SA Avengers.  I'll occasionally go after a different book/title from the SA or rarely something from the GA, but then it's mostly something that randomly catches my eye--and usually at the mid-grade level.  

I'll echo the previous thought "buy what you like" and add ..."not what everyone else likes."  I spent too much time and money in the 90s buying what I was supposed to like, and I wasn't happy with my collection.

Related to that is the idea that a more expensive book is better than a less expensive book. "Quality over quantity" is the hogwash you'll hear.  Unless you're collecting price tags, refer to the first point.  What you like may end up being expensive anyway, but don't turn your nose up at an inexpensive series just because it's not in demand.  Nick Cardy's Batlash immediately comes to mind as a favorite that cost me next to nothing. 

Hi everyone,

I appreciate your thoughts and insight. I'm going to hone in one a few of my favorites, attempt to collect some of their more important appearances and storylines, and fill out my collection from there.

I have a bit of work ahead of me switching my collection out--put that's part of the hunt!

Thanks!

When I got back into collecting in 79 I focused on collecting the series/books I grew up with in the early/mid 60's, basically the core Marvel Super Hero books.

(ASM, Avengers, D.D. F.F. X-Men then moved to JIM/Thor, TOS, TTA,, etc.)

The goal was to complete the runs so condition was not important, finding the book was the goal.

There was no internet so it was not easy to find what you were looking for.

The choices were mail order and later in the 80's it was local comic book stores them small/local shows.

Once the internet came along it made it very easy to lose self control and spend all of  my money so I focused on small runs in each title such as ASM 41-50 or F.F. 21-30 and once I was able to find all of those then I would move  to the next small run.

I usually stated at the higher numbered books (if my goal was ASM 1-200 I would start at #200) and worked my way down since the higher numbers are usually less money and easier to get.

I also used the Overstreet Price Guide to get a "rough" idea what the books are valued at so I could set a price for myself that I was willing to pay so I do not go crazy.

Although I have completed the Super Hero runs (other than the #1's) and moved on to other titles I enjoy such as the Atlas/Marvel Westerns and Pre=Hero Marvel Horror books I still set a price limit for myself.

I am down to only needing two Rawhide Kid and four Kid Colt books and they are available at what I consider "outrageous" prices, so I wait.

As the others have stated...

Buy what you like/enjoy and have fun doing it.

When possible I like to start with both the toughest to get and favorite issue of a run.  After that, taking your time to fill in the less in demand issues is really fun.  I go with the lowest grade that still makes you super happy when you hold/read it.  You can always upgrade later.

If I see that the total I spent on all the small non key issues could have gotten me a #1 I wish I did it differently.  It's always easier to sell your key for tons of non keys rather than trying to sell all your non keys for a #1.  My 2c

Edited by Knightsofold

I'm still new to collecting, but growing up, I've always liked Spider-Man. I just liked the movies, and playing the games on my PlayStation. Just a cool character and always thought his villains were very interesting.

For the grades of these comics I get, kinda depends on the age. As the comics are older such as Silver Age I try to get highest, but also don't try to break the bank, where as if it's modern I don't get below a 9.8.

I just recently bought my first early Spider-Man book, ASM 20 at 6.5 and I am so excited just because it's not only piece of history but always thought Scorpion was cool.

As for deciding which book to go after next, I keep lookout for all of them i am interested, specifically villain first apps. Currently I am watching for ASM 6(Lizard App), ASM 13(Mysterio App), ASM 14(Green Goblin App) and Venom vs Carnage 2, and 3(first Toxin app). Now I obviously go for the older ones first because with time they only raise in value, but if I see new comic I can get for steal such as CvV for cheap at 9.8 I'll mark off the list. The key is to stay focused and don't let other things blind you from what you really want. Even though i might can't afford ASM 6 at 7.0 I am just as happy with 3.0-4.0 with oW pages. It's all about being happy and finding what characters you've always been infatuated with.

Also, if I just so happen to get off track from what's i collect, I make sure it's for something good like FF48, or other good first apps or origins. I only stick to first apps as I know they are where the money is and will only go up with time too. Hope all of this helps!

14 hours ago, TheSSurfer said:

Also, if I just so happen to get off track from what's i collect, I make sure it's for something good like FF48, or other good first apps or origins. I only stick to first apps as I know they are where the money is and will only go up with time too. Hope all of this helps!

That's not a bad policy either.

Some series, Spider-man included, have seen some strong appreciation over the past few years, so they can be difficult to collect. But you're right, at the end of the day it's where you set your priorities.

6 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

That's not a bad policy either.

Some series, Spider-man included, have seen some strong appreciation over the past few years, so they can be difficult to collect. But you're right, at the end of the day it's where you set your priorities.

Yeah for sure man, I've just always thought Spider-Man is best place to put your money because a lot of people know his enemies compared to other characters you know? Also I just see how each year AF15 gets higher and higher for the lesser grades almost making impossible to get without dropping 5k and that's for a LOW grade. It's only matter of time until the 1-10 or 1-20 series of amazing Spider-Man series gets there, and that's where your money needs to go if looking to make money back. As well as have cool first apps too.

13 hours ago, TheSSurfer said:

Yeah for sure man, I've just always thought Spider-Man is best place to put your money because a lot of people know his enemies compared to other characters you know? Also I just see how each year AF15 gets higher and higher for the lesser grades almost making impossible to get without dropping 5k and that's for a LOW grade. It's only matter of time until the 1-10 or 1-20 series of amazing Spider-Man series gets there, and that's where your money needs to go if looking to make money back. As well as have cool first apps too.

I hear ya. A few years back I remember seeing an AF15 in 3.0 for $8K. Seemed high at the time. Ugh.

3 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

I hear ya. A few years back I remember seeing an AF15 in 3.0 for $8K. Seemed high at the time. Ugh.

It's only gonna go higher too. It's a smart investment, that's why I buy my comics besides for the artwork and stories with it. AF15, Hulk 1, FF4 1, and others with big characters will always have a price tag but you can expect them to go up with time as they always have and will continue to. If I had the money I'd for sure have JIM 83, or AF15 and keep for 20 years then sell because each year people lose comics like that to floods or house fires. Once they're gone, they're gone, and so is the history with them.