• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are this at least legitimate Bob Kane ghosts?

156 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Morgan0714 said:

Thank you Bronty, Sigh, I'm getting a ACCELERATED crash course in the school of life!

I APPARENTLY got a PHD degree now!

Money can always be made back.....but piece of mind is priceless.......

Please don't come back here in a few months time telling us how you bought some cool Jack Kirby/Mike Royer originals from an awfully nice Australian named Richard Rae . . .

:jokealert:

Edited by The Voord

3 hours ago, Morgan0714 said:

The numbers you're talking would be a big hit to most of us, but it sounds as if the loss is something you can afford without much struggle. If that's the case, then I can only wish you well. Peace of mind is a glorious thing.

And show us the Ross original once you have it, will you?

5 hours ago, Morgan0714 said:

That may be true, but hopefully the potential buyer will do his homework prior to purchase. I hope he/she has enough sense to check this site!

I did my homework too late, I shot first and asked questions later....but there is a happy ending to this story.....I'm getting back something I'm happy with...albeit it may be overpriced or overexagerrated....but at least it's authentic!

Don't worry, I'll be getting Alex Ross original art soon enough! Already in talks with his people for purchase.

morgan, why would you be happy with something that is probably overpriced or over exaggerated just because it is authentic? isn't all original art authentic? you set your sights too low. you should be happy when you get something decent at a fair price. you work hard for your money- you should want to keep some of it.

Edited by robert frey
typos

Well, let's cut the guy some slack?    For whatever reason he doesn't want to pursue it.    Chasing something like that takes a lot of energy and he's no dummy but he probably feels like one, so maybe he just feels like it's a better use of his mental energy to move on and accept the loss.   Not what I think I'd do in his shoes, but I can understand why he might feel that way.

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

Well, let's cut the guy some slack?    For whatever reason he doesn't want to pursue it.    Chasing something like that takes a lot of energy and he's no dummy but he probably feels like one, so maybe he just feels like it's a better use of his mental energy to move on and accept the loss.   Not what I think I'd do in his shoes, but I can understand why he might feel that way.

Agree.   It seems that he can absorb this "hit".   He may have the best attitude of anyone that's ever posted on the boards. 

8 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Agree.   It seems that he can absorb this "hit".   He may have the best attitude of anyone that's ever posted on the boards. 

As he said, the money was spent long ago. It isn't coming out of his pocket today or anything. And yes, he is handling it very well; which is likely related to why he had the money to spend in the first place. He's calm and rational!

13 hours ago, Morgan0714 said:

Thank you Bronty, Sigh, I'm getting a ACCELERATED crash course in the school of life!

I APPARENTLY got a PHD degree now!

It sounds like you have the kind of outlook to allow the art dealer to get the upper hand, and others here have certainly provided reasonable direction to assist you in the matter. I don't have much of anything new to add, except to say that I would ask you to exhaust the option of seeing if you could get originals in exchange, not prints.

12 hours ago, The Voord said:

Please don't come back here in a few months time telling us how you bought some cool Jack Kirby/Mike Royer originals from an awfully nice Australian named Richard Rae . . .

:jokealert:

Hopefully no Jack Kirby commissions from Budapest or a certain "John Buscema" Conan #1 cover recreation either... :eek: 

On 5/4/2017 at 5:00 AM, comicwiz said:

It sounds like you have the kind of outlook to allow the art dealer to get the upper hand, and others here have certainly provided reasonable direction to assist you in the matter. I don't have much of anything new to add, except to say that I would ask you to exhaust the option of seeing if you could get originals in exchange, not prints.

If I learned anything, it's to check this site first before buying anything!

A less informed buyer will get himself in a lot of trouble....as you can see in my case.

I agree to this statement full heartedly and learned my lesson the hard way...

Sadly I didn't want to throw good money after bad money on a legal battle. It would very well cost me $50,000 more without a gurantee of a win. This way, I was able to return $34,100 worth of "Bob Kane whatevers" something that I didn't want...for some prints that at least I would enjoy hanging on my walls. Are they worth it? Well...that's another debate for another day. Thank you all for at least informing me of what I didn't have: Original Bob Kane art.  Here are the items I got in return. There is a happy story here...somewhat!

IMG_4239.JPG

IMG_4246.JPG

IMG_4247.JPG

IMG_4248.JPG

IMG_4249.JPG

IMG_4250.JPG

IMG_4251.JPG

IMG_4252.JPG

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4254.JPG

A lot of people, myself included, discovered these boards over deals gone badly. If you have the kind of money where a $34K loss is just, "whatever," then you are a fortunate man. 

That being said, this board is a treasure in many ways. Use it before pulling out your checkbook again.

Good luck!

On 5/12/2017 at 2:50 PM, Mackenzie999 said:

A lot of people, myself included, discovered these boards over deals gone badly. If you have the kind of money where a $34K loss is just, "whatever," then you are a fortunate man. 

That being said, this board is a treasure in many ways. Use it before pulling out your checkbook again.

Good luck!

Agreed! This was a life learning lesson for me for sure! Hindsight is always 20/20! As of now, the trade is all complete. I'm happy with the outcome  and I'm moving on from this. Next stop is original art! I'll be asking for help from you guys in the near future! 

This is for everyone else that may not as easily move on from a $30k loss:

Basic Rules

Rule #1- Never Buy only for the sake of making an Investment.

You must love your art and allow it to give you pleasure every day. If dollar signs are all you think about when you look at it, it's not good for your soul or for the art. In the very unlikely case your art happens in increase in value, consider yourself lucky that you did not have to pay more for the same pleasure.

• 99% of all artwork never goes up in value: Most pictures decline 50% in value the minute you walk out of the gallery. Dealers typically take 40-50%.
  • The art market fluctuates the same as every other market: For example, big collectors who paid top dollar for art in the late 80's were left with unwanted inventory in the early 90's when the Japanese stopped buying art and Wall Street tanked.
  • Art is not liquid. Typically, a dealer who sold you something, will not not take it back five years later. She has new work to sell by the artist, and does not want to deal with older works. Unless, the artist has substantially appreciated in value.

Rule #2 - Do Your Homework

Learning about art takes time and effort just like learning about anything else.

• Look
    at art constantly and develop your eye, so that you learn what you like and why. The more you look, the more you'll come to understand the difference between what is good and what is not. This might not change the kind of art you like, but will help you distinguish between the good (of what you like) from the bad.
  • Note the "Isn't it amazing" picture and how many there are....
    For the uninitiated, a realistic oil that looks like a photo can be an amazing - How did the artist do that? Well, it's actually quite simple. Anyone can learn if they have time and patience. 

• Note cliches. 
    The more you look, the more you see that there are thousands of artists working in an "isn't it amazing?" style. The more you look the more you become aware of the cliche of using thrilling technique as the basis for artistic merit. An image must resonate beyond technique. There are also hundreds of competent artists who are good illustrators. The work is fine, butyou cannot tell one from another and there is no true originality or unique way of viewing the world. Furthermore, this competent illustrative art becomes more obvious as a cliche the more you see it.

Rule #3 - Trust Your Own Taste

At the end of the day, after looking and looking, you must trust your own taste. Good art comes with many different syles and subjects. The style and subject matter that really speak to you depends on how well your personality converges with that of the artist. You might have an eclectic sensibility and appreciate many kinds of good art, you might like the romantic landscape, colorful expressionistic painting, or Zen-like minimalism. No matter what kind of art really grabs you, do not be afraid to mix different things in one space. In the end your general taste will connect them all.

Rule #4 - Look for VALUE

Although you are NOT thinking "investment potential" (you're not, are you?), you should be thinking VALUE.

You do not want to be ripped off, and in the art world, it's easy to spend lots of money on junk. Again, you must go through the learning process. If you're spending under $700 for an original work on paper or under $2000 for a good - sized painting, don't worry. Use these numbers as general guidelines for buying artwork, and remember buy anything that pleases you and is cheap. Remember, artists have to make money too. A typical artist who makes one watercolor a week and sells it directly for $500 each, makes $24,000 a year. Furthermore, she probably has an expensive Masters of Fine Arts degree, plus the costs of postcards, supplies, paper, rent, and framing. Most likely, she has a day job and is caught in the classic artist-bind: the artist has to make enough to live, and at the same time, find time to paint. It's a hard life, so give her a break and don't complain about her trying to sell an original work of art for more than $300. Pay her gladly.

Rule #5 - Buy from reputable dealers - But how can you tell?

When you are purchasing art, for more than $700 for an original work on paper or $2000 for a painting, it is a good idea to work with a reputable dealer. That's easy to say, but how can you - the uninitiated - tell a reputable dealer from a sleaze?

• Avoid any dealer with who sells Salvador Dali, or Norman Rockwell. Other artists to avoid are Tarkay, Erte, Earle, Jiang, Chagall (late), Max, Neiman, and Agam. They are all overpriced.
  • Avoid - like the plague - the "Limited Edition Print" and any dealer who sells them. They are nothing but overpriced, signed posters.
  • Avoid the dealer who talks investment and offers a "Certificate of Authenticity". Certificates of authenticity are usually phony. They lead you to believe that you have an original piece of work when in reality you may not.
  • Avoid galleries located in shopping malls, tourist areas, and airports. For some reason, which I have yet to figure out, the average person only thinks about buying art on vacation. Although I'm sure there are exceptions, many galleries take advantage of that.
  • Avoid buying art from the framer in your local shopping mall. Again, I'm sure there are exceptions, but she's probably not the best person with whom you should spend any serious amount of money. Typically, she knows little about the realities of the broader art market.

9 hours ago, vodou said:
  • Avoid galleries located in shopping malls, tourist areas, and airports. For some reason, which I have yet to figure out, the average person only thinks about buying art on vacation. Although I'm sure there are exceptions, many galleries take advantage of that.

Funny observation, but I've been in a resort for the last 13 years and there's been an inordinate number of galleries around the whole time.

On 5/20/2017 at 4:14 PM, Bubb Rubb said:

Funny observation, but I've been in a resort for the last 13 years and there's been an inordinate number of galleries around the whole time.

There was a great article I read a while back about shopping for art and paintings on cruises, was that linked from these boards?  I just couldn't believe people thought they were getting "Deals" on a cruise....