• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are this at least legitimate Bob Kane ghosts?

156 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Morgan0714 said:

Thank you for the suggestion. I may actually do that! One major red flag that got me thinking something was off was I was offered another Kane piece from Choice Collectibles (the style posted) and I had offered to trade 3 of my current pieces for the one they were selling. When they declined, I was a bit surprised and that got me thinking.....here was the piece they ended up selling to someone else and decline my 3 piece trade.

that most likely means they know they are selling trash and are looking for a sucker. It's very possible they know who is making them, which might include themselves. I would definitely be speaking with an attorney right now. Be sure to save any correspondence you may have with them etc.

Update:

Was told that these 2 originals came from the same source as mine.

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/bob-kane-signed-original-drawing-of-batman-and-250-c-47f4c2c888

Sold for $6500

and this one

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/bob-kane-signed-original-drawing-of-batman-,-ro-249-c-48f4f68893

Sold for $2,500!

What you guys think?

Profiles in history is legit no? 

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2663.JPG

On 4/14/2017 at 9:31 PM, Unca Ben said:

That piece (or one just like it) was in the Profiles in History Dec 2016 auction.
Mebbe it's your scan, but the linework looks a little heavier in your picture.

H3257-L106472189_zpscvncqysi.jpg

Yes, after speaking with Choice Collectibles, they told me that this was the exact one that ended up selling on Invaluable (Profiles in History) for $2,500.00. They offered to sell it me before they sent it to the auction. The original pic I posted was actually an a print out from my PC as I couldn't find the original pic they sent me.

Edited by Morgan0714
Clarification

On 4/14/2017 at 9:50 PM, Captain Canuck said:

I'm going out on a limb here, but they are 2 different pictures. You will notice the difference between the 2 when you look at Batmans belt and Robins raised hand. The lines are similiar, but thinner and more deliberate in terms of providing depth and contour on the second image. 

To clarify, the first pic I posted that had a gray background was a print out of the pic they sent me. I couldn't find the texted pic they sent me originally but had a print out of the original on my desk. The text Choice Collectibles originally sent me had the white background and is the same as the one featured on Invaluable.

IMG_2664.JPG

10 minutes ago, Morgan0714 said:

To clarify, the first pic I posted that had a gray background was a print out of the pic they sent me. I couldn't find the texted pic they sent me originally but had a print out of the original on my desk. The text Choice Collectibles originally sent me had the white background and is the same as the one featured on Invaluable.

IMG_2664.JPG

Would explain the different weight in lines. 

Yeah that explains that discrepancy.    What else have you bought from them Morgan if you don't mind me asking?    I can see that faces of batman print was about 2k?

18 hours ago, Captain Canuck said:

Would explain the different weight in lines. 

So, does that mean it's still a suspect Bob Kane piece or is this one a better version of a ghost artist that sold for $2,500 from Choice collectibles. I spoke to the owner of the company and he's willing to take the ones I got from him back. 

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

Certainly Bob didn't do the art on this Joker-puppet litho, so I don't know why anyone would think he did the art on the sketch either

H5541-L116349439.jpg

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/batman-the-joker-signed-lithograph-600-c-cee4c888ac

Ah, I see what you are saying.....sigh, maybe I should stick with Jim Lee and Alex Ross stuff...so much less stress!

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

Yeah that explains that discrepancy.    What else have you bought from them Morgan if you don't mind me asking?    I can see that faces of batman print was about 2k?

I'm just a Batman fan so I'm not well versed on names and titles. Here are some quick pics around my office and house that I have bought from Choice Collectibles. The owner and I did speak and he is willing to take back the ones I'm not happy with! I just wanted to find out from you knowledgeable fans what your thoughts were on the Bob Kane pieces that my art buddy originally told me he was doubtful about! I ultimately just want to enjoy Batman and not have to worry about authenticity! The more I think about it, I'm better off giving back all the suspect Bob Kane stuff and getting Alex Ross and Jim Lee. Any other Batman artists you guys recommend?

IMG_2738.JPG

IMG_2739.JPG

IMG_2740.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

IMG_2742.JPG

IMG_2743.JPG

IMG_2744.JPG

IMG_2745.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

IMG_2747.JPG

IMG_2748.JPG

IMG_2749.JPG

IMG_5056.JPG

Wow! Great collection! That colored Kane Batman definitely look like his style. I guess unless someone physically saw Kane draw the piece or was his Ghost and couch vouch for or against it. There is no way to know for certain. There has to be a better and easier solution. 

1 minute ago, Captain Canuck said:

Wow! Great collection! That colored Kane Batman definitely look like his style. I guess unless someone physically saw Kane draw the piece or was his Ghost and couch vouch for or against it. There is no way to know for certain. There has to be a better and easier solution. 

I just don't want to make a mistake and give back all these suspect Bob Kane pieces to later find out "oops, they were Bob Kane pieces afterall.....hence why I'm on the fence...isn't Profiles in History (Invaluable) a really reputable company?

I have bought tons of TV show cast memorabilia from them before... but the general consensus from this forum is that these aren't likely Bob Kane. Correct?

I'm leaning towards just collecting the living Batman artists for now I suppose....

5 minutes ago, Captain Canuck said:

Exactly! Now you know why I'm going crazy!!!!!!

Nice collection!  I think with the cloud hanging over "Bob Kane" artwork I would return and not bother.  As for other artists, it really depends on your tastes as tons of great artists have worked on Batman, a few that come to mind are:

Shelly Moldoff - one of Bob Kane's ghosts, and there are lots of examples out there that are priced reasonable

Tim Sale - I assume you have read and love long halloween and dark victory

Jim Aparo - The definitive Batman artist for me

Neal Adams - enough said

There are just so many out there!  Good luck.

Malvin

13 minutes ago, malvin said:

Nice collection!  I think with the cloud hanging over "Bob Kane" artwork I would return and not bother.  As for other artists, it really depends on your tastes as tons of great artists have worked on Batman, a few that come to mind are:

Shelly Moldoff - one of Bob Kane's ghosts, and there are lots of examples out there that are priced reasonable

Tim Sale - I assume you have read and love long halloween and dark victory

Jim Aparo - The definitive Batman artist for me

Neal Adams - enough said

There are just so many out there!  Good luck.

Malvin

Don't forget vintage Neal Adams, Jim Lee (Hush), Marshall Rogers and if you can find D ick Sprang that would be just as good as Bob Kane.

2 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

None of the pieces in this thread were drawn by Bob Kane. They all have an "amateurish" look to them.

Wasn't Kane an amateur drawer at best? Would explain all the ghost artists and tracing predawn images. 

20 minutes ago, Captain Canuck said:

Wasn't Kane an amateur drawer at best? Would explain all the ghost artists and tracing predawn images. 

Kane wasn't the greatest artist but he at least had line weight variations.

This image as an example, is very amateur. The entire page looks to have been drawn with the same pen and has no line variation, the inking is very badly done. The lines in the legs are terrible, they have a rushed feel.

Whereas this Joker cover by Kane, you can see some line weight changes, like on the Joker's nose.

batman_23_lg.jpg

The thing is, maybe the art on the cover to 23 was drawn by Kane and INKED by someone more competent.

All I can say is this: to the trained eye of an artist I can tell the first image is drawn by someone with little skill.

Edited by Artboy99

7 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Kane wasn't the greatest artist but he at least had line weight variations.

This image as an example, is very amateur. The Joker's face as an example was drawn with the same pen and has no line variation, the inking is very badly done. The lines in the legs are terrible, they have a rushed feel.

Whereas this Joker cover by Kane, you can see some line weight changes, like on the Joker's nose.

batman_23_lg.jpg

The thing is, maybe the art on the cover to 23 was drawn by Kane and INKED by someone more competent.

All I can say is this: to the trained eye of an artist I can tell the first image is drawn by someone with little skill.

Or maybe not done by Kane at all. Do we know for certain if Kane worked on any Batman issue? Beyond taking claim.  Did he not have a ghost artist from day one? As well, didn't he also do that with Bill Finger. 

1 minute ago, Captain Canuck said:

Or maybe not done by Kane at all. Do we know for certain if Kane worked on any Batman issue? Beyond taking claim.  Did he not have a ghost artist from day one? As well, didn't he also do that with Bill Finger. 

very possible. But then if drawn by a "Ghost artist" at least the ghost artist knows something about line variation, accurate linework and using various tools to complete the work whereas the Joker page at the top of my previous post is just awful. Very poor drawing.