• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are this at least legitimate Bob Kane ghosts?

156 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Bronty said:

You know, that was my guess when it came to the prints, that they were purchasing marked up prints from people like Alex Ross (I'm sure he must sell them direct too) and marking them up more.   Where is the Royal Art site?   Have some trouble finding.

A print should cost 100, 200 dollars not 1000, 2000

Rue Royal

http://www.rueroyalefinearts.com/shop/posters/art-of-the-movies/

they have the Mummy etc for $195

2 hours ago, Captain Canuck said:

Too bad the ones I would want still cost over $1K, Wizard of Oz, King Kong. Didn't see any of the old Superman or Batman posters. 

email me sales@comic-art.com

I think I can find some. the Kong 3 sheet though is still a grand

19 minutes ago, MGS said:

To be fair, it looks like the ones on the Choice Collectibles site are hand painted recreations rather than prints.  Now, whether you'd want that instead of a print is another question.

Mike

they are S2 art prints. Printed on a stone lithography press just like Toulouse Lutrec used and they are not replicas of the original posters. the American Film Institute hired an artist to do new art for each poster in the 100 years set, in order to be able to properly copyright their materials. They are not exact replications. They are great pieces and make images that are not very available or costly to regular folks. There are I believe only 3 known copies (maybe 4) of the original Mummy one sheet for instance. Collecting these original posters, is NOT like collecting Action #1's

Edited by comicartcom

1 hour ago, comicartcom said:

they are S2 art prints. Printed on a stone lithography press just like Toulouse Lutrec used and they are not replicas of the original posters. the American Film Institute hired an artist to do new art for each poster in the 100 years set, in order to be able to properly copyright their materials. They are not exact replications. They are great pieces and make images that are not very available or costly to regular folks. There are I believe only 3 known copies (maybe 4) of the original Mummy one sheet for instance. Collecting these original posters, is NOT like collecting Action #1's

The ones at Rue Royale site definitely are, but as for Choice Collectibles, I'm just going off the description on their site:

"The Mummy
Original Movie Poster Painting Oil on Canvas
One Sheet size 27" x 41" inches. 
One of a kind unique painting.

This poster painting is an Oil on Canvas by Artist Rung Formatted to one sheet size 41" x 27". It is an Original Oil on Canvas, after the vintage poster from 1932 Horror Classic, stars Karloff as Egyptian mummy revived after thousands of years. A true classic that will continue to endure. A "must have" for your collection and truely a wonderful conversation piece.

Beautiful fine art "re-creators" by world famous artist "Rung" and his studio of artists who are themselves "Masters" at recreating the work. Each painting begining from a blank canvas is entirely unique, a 100% hand painted oil on canvas, original work of art that you will treasure and display with pride for a lifetime."

If what they're selling is a lithograph then the description is very misleading.

Mike

2 minutes ago, MGS said:

The ones at Rue Royale site definitely are, but as for Choice Collectibles, I'm just going off the description on their site:

"The Mummy
Original Movie Poster Painting Oil on Canvas
One Sheet size 27" x 41" inches. 
One of a kind unique painting.

This poster painting is an Oil on Canvas by Artist Rung Formatted to one sheet size 41" x 27". It is an Original Oil on Canvas, after the vintage poster from 1932 Horror Classic, stars Karloff as Egyptian mummy revived after thousands of years. A true classic that will continue to endure. A "must have" for your collection and truely a wonderful conversation piece.

Beautiful fine art "re-creators" by world famous artist "Rung" and his studio of artists who are themselves "Masters" at recreating the work. Each painting begining from a blank canvas is entirely unique, a 100% hand painted oil on canvas, original work of art that you will treasure and display with pride for a lifetime."

If what they're selling is a lithograph then the description is very misleading.

Mike

you know what, I hadn't clicked through, because on Mummy, Dracula.. they are using a pic of the S2 .. or.. instead of copying the original posters, they are copying the S2. so I didn't bother going further

all of that kind of stuff is real clownshow. selling fake stuff, using stock images..

not a serious art outlet by any means

I hope this guy gets all his cash back, but I doubt anything he could trade from them would be of use

There's a Bob Kane attributed sketch on HA, finishing next weekend.  Robin has a cat's nose.  The inscription looks to be written with a different marker than what's seen on the rest of the page.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/bob-kane-batman-and-robin-sketch-original-art-1968-/a/121719-11113.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by Bubb Rubb
added the link

This whole thread just makes me anxious. Morgan, if you haven't already, get your CASH back, all of it, and run to the hills. Do not deal with these folks anymore. If you want real advise and direction on where to buy some nice Batman original art, these very same boards will steer you in the right direction. Avoid prints, lithographs, posters etc unless they're dirt cheap and you just like the look of them. For the kind of money you're throwing around, you should have some REAL art. Good luck!

On 5/1/2017 at 9:33 AM, F For Fake said:

This whole thread just makes me anxious. Morgan, if you haven't already, get your CASH back, all of it, and run to the hills. Do not deal with these folks anymore. If you want real advise and direction on where to buy some nice Batman original art, these very same boards will steer you in the right direction. Avoid prints, lithographs, posters etc unless they're dirt cheap and you just like the look of them. For the kind of money you're throwing around, you should have some REAL art. Good luck!

Thank you everyone! I'm meeting with Ari Goldman this week when they are here for a show close to me in Burbank. I am getting some prints in as a trade that I enjoy...not original art but I'm ok with it. The rest is going to some original art from Alex Ross that I admire. I would love an original painting from Alex Ross but his stuff is around $20,000 now...or is there a cheaper source?

image.jpg

On 5/1/2017 at 9:33 AM, F For Fake said:

Thank you all for your input. I wish I could get all my money back but as a business owner myself, it's very hard to do after all these years. I have consulted an attorney...however the legal costs will be over my original investment of $32,000 from experts that will be needed and depositions. Even with that, the attorney has advised me that it's still a chance we won't win. He joked about saying: "In these cases, only the lawyers really win here....save your money and move on" I consider this a learning lesson for me but at least I will have some prints that may not increase in value much but I will enjoy them and hopefully get buried with them! I'm getting in Alex Ross The Original Sevrn on canvas 1/100 and the oversized Executive canvas print version 1/7. I know some of you fine gents disagree but I rather have genuine prints over having that cloud of doubt and disgust of the Kane pieces. This is sadly a life lesson for me that I've learned the hard way.

This just arrived today as part of the trade: Original Seven Executive print 1/7.

I'll have this buried with me in the grave!

image.jpg

16 hours ago, Morgan0714 said:

By the way, I found this also from choice Collectobles. It's only 7 inches long and wide. I'm assuming this is also a return for me? 

image.jpg

I would.   I think someone earlier said they thought it might be legit.   Doesn't look good to me.  

Definitely return it Morgan.    I would put that in the 'not by a preofessional artist' camp.    

Im sorry to hear you can't get the money back although at least you did your diligence and talked to a lawyer.    

If you enjoy the prints then great at least you'll get something that you will enjoy and that won't give you bad feelings to look at.    Good luck sir.

18 hours ago, Morgan0714 said:

I would love an original painting from Alex Ross but his stuff is around $20,000 now...or is there a cheaper source?

Here is a nice Superman at Heritage-

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/alex-ross-action-comics-900-variant-cover-painting-original-art-dc-2011-/a/7163-93198.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

You should post a WTB thread up in the Marketplace forum with the characters you are looking for. You might get a few PMs.

21 hours ago, Morgan0714 said:

Thank you all for your input. I wish I could get all my money back but as a business owner myself, it's very hard to do after all these years. I have consulted an attorney...however the legal costs will be over my original investment of $32,000 from experts that will be needed and depositions. Even with that, the attorney has advised me that it's still a chance we won't win. He joked about saying: "In these cases, only the lawyers really win here....save your money and move on" I consider this a learning lesson for me but at least I will have some prints that may not increase in value much but I will enjoy them and hopefully get buried with them! I'm getting in Alex Ross The Original Sevrn on canvas 1/100 and the oversized Executive canvas print version 1/7. I know some of you fine gents disagree but I rather have genuine prints over having that cloud of doubt and disgust of the Kane pieces. This is sadly a life lesson for me that I've learned the hard way.

This just arrived today as part of the trade: Original Seven Executive print 1/7.

I'll have this buried with me in the grave!

so does that mean you aren't getting any cash back & have to take over-priced materials (art & prints) to 'get out'?

if so, the dealer is a pathetic excuse for honesty. He should give you back your money & file an insurance claim (if he can) for their loss.

if he can't file for insurance, he should give you back your money & suck it up

I think they should at the very least be entered into the Hall of Shame and be shunned by all.