• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What GA comic would you buy with 3K/4K? to Invest

34 posts in this topic

What GA comic would you buy with 3K/4K? to Invest

Question: You  have 3/4k to Invest in ONE Golden Age comic for Long term Investing purposes 5 years or more. Which would you buy and why?

Superman, Batman, Detective Comics, Action Comics,  Wonder Woman, Sensation comics etc

Let me know your thoughts. thanks!

I'm with Gino:  Buy books you like and you'll feel less need to keep one eye on GPA as the years go by.

If you are thinking in terms of buying a book likely to increase in price in later years, I would avoid any of the books that currently seem hot because their prices have already been run up.  I don't follow WW too closely, but looking at GPA, WW 6 seems to have sharply increased in price.  Going higher from here or is the assumption that the WW movie is a major hit and WW becomes a first-rank DC hero already priced in?  

Given how cover driven the hobby has become, my guess is that books likely to take off are ones with cool covers, that are truly scarce, and that can currently be bought at a reasonable price.  You'll have to ask Gator which books those are! :)

Edited by Sqeggs

I agree with @Sqeggs as usual. 

I have chosen to focus on good girl books because I like it the best.  I am very familiar with the hero books but I feel those are close to full potential and with the exception of a book like the WW 6 with the first appearance of a hot character I see these books having a slow but likely steady growth rate. 

Maybe a better strategy would be three $1000 books. Diversifying with the possibility of one of them really taking off. 

I recommend the best copy of Action #19 (has Superman #3 ad), 20 or #21 (has 2 More Fun #52 Spectre panel ads) that you can find in your budget. Action # 23 has been spiking up but you may still be able to get 1st Luthor and 1st mention of Daily Planet for $4k ?

liVoB4Q.jpg

1 hour ago, buttock said:

Action 1

Unfortunately, I don't think we can even buy a loose 1st wrap or centerfold to Action #1 for $4k. I love Lou Fine's Wonderworld Comics covers but I don't think there will be a Netflix series on the Flame in a couple of years, thus can't really recommend it for the long run. :preach:

4 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Captain America #3.  First Red Skull on cover ain't it?

Unfortunately, Unlikely to find any copy in the 3-4k range

12 hours ago, comicnoir said:

A few years ago a friend sold me his mid-grade Detective Comics 122 (first Catwoman cover) for 300.00. Shortly afterward that book exploded in value. For $3K you still might find a nice copy.

And to prove my point, this just ended on Ha.com. Check out the Guide value.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/detective-comics-122-dc-1947-condition-gd/a/121715-12293.s?type=bidnotice-dailystatus