• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT animated movie (2018)

24 posts in this topic

GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT animated movie (TBD)

WWSTL17 'Dexter' Star Cast in GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT Animated Film

hqlF44J.png

Our favorite potty mouthed cop is joining the Batman universe in an animated version of the popular Gotham by Gaslight one-shot comic. Revealed by Jennifer Carpenter herself during her Q&A panel at Wizard World St. Louis, the talented actress will be providing the voice of 'Catwoman' in the animated adaptation. 

Gotham by Gaslight is an "Elseworld" story by Brian Augustyn and Mike Mignola where in the Victorian Era, a string of murders has the city on edge. The targets are all women and the suspect is none other than the "Bat-Man". However, the real killer is alot closer than the dark hero thinks and he must act fast to clear his name before it's too late.

Fans of the story know that Catwoman wasn't in the "Gotham by Gaslight" story, so it's interesting to see how she will fit into a universe where the women are being murdered. Popular website IGN said the comic is" as taut and well-conceived a graphic novel as you can find-Elseworlds or otherwise."

Edited by Bosco685

Weird news.

I remember when this came out, I didn't like it. I think it was right around that time when they were making a big deal out of the 100-year anniversary of the Ripper's murders with various TV specials and such. The story seemed to have so much potential putting Batman in the Victorian Era, but it just fell flat for me. Way too forced trying to get all the dots to connect at the end. I reread it a few years back after I'd heard lots of people gushing over it like it was a revered classic, but it's still just not a great story. Mignola's art set amongst the late-century aesthetic is most of the appeal, I think. Should be interesting to see an animated interpretation, especially since it sounds like they're already taking liberties with it. Really hoping Catwoman's appearance won't be as a "lady of the night".

I wonder if the DCAU production can bring this game back into development?

Take A Look At This Batman Vs Jack The Ripper Game We’ll Never Get To Play

Based on the DC comic one-shot of Gotham By Gaslight, an alternate history take on the Dark Knight that re-imagined Bruce Wayne in 1889 and pits him against a mysterious new killer in Gotham. It’s considered to be one of the original Elseworlds stories, which will mean something to comics fans.

Our interest in it stems from the fact that Day 1 Studios (the studio who worked on the console versions of F.E.A.R. and later Fracture) was developing the concept into a game with THQ. The thing is it didn’t actually have the rights to the comic or the Batman IP, so it was kind of a stab in the dark. Of course THQ was later closed, Day 1 was bought by Wargaming and renamed Wargaming Chicago-Baltimore, now making World Of Tanks on consoles.

Looks like confirmation and more details are coming out as part of the latest animated release.

DC Animation's Next Movie Revealed

According to the list of special features included with upcoming animated feature Batman and Harley Quinn, the next DC Animation direct-to-video release will be Batman: Gotham by Gaslight, an adaptation of the first ever DC Comics Elseworlds story.

fdRsb91.jpg

For a sneak peek at the Batman: Gotham by Gaslight animated movie, check out the home media release of Batman and Harley Quinn on August 29, 2017.

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

This could be good.  Always thought that was a great cover too.  Any truth to the notion that the book was DC's first "Elseworlds" story/title ?

-J.

I knew the answer to this was 'Yes' because I was collecting when Gotham By Gaslight came out, and later on when Elseworlds books officially started coming out they pointed to Gotham By Gaslight as the early foundation.

But going back and reading about the Elseworlds imprints, there is mention of the years of 'Imaginary Stories' where DC Comics distinguished between traditional continuity and alternative continuity storylines. The last story to fall under this category before the Elseworlds imprint was Alan Moore's 'Whatever Happened To the Man of Tomorrow' two-book series. But when 'Batman: Holy Terror' came out as the first Elseworlds book, this now covered the alternative stories.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I knew the answer to this was 'Yes' because I was collecting when Gotham By Gaslight came out, and later on when Elseworlds books officially started coming out they pointed to Gotham By Gaslight as the early foundation.

But going back and reading about the Elseworlds imprints, there is mention of the years of 'Imaginary Stories' where DC Comics distinguished between traditional continuity and alternative continuity storylines. The last story to fall under this category before the Elseworlds imprint was Alan Moore's 'Whatever Happened To the Man of Tomorrow' two-book series. But when 'Batman: Holy Terror' came out as the first Elseworlds book, this now covered the alternative stories.

That's kind of what I thought.  

I wonder if this movie will be the beginning of other DC "elseworlds" storylines on the small (or big) screen as well.  hm

-J.

Looks like Warner Bros. made it official.

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight Animated Movie Coming

The next DC Universe Original Movie is Batman and Harley Quinn, which had is world premiere at San Diego Comic-Con. But the first one out of the gate after that is going all the way back to Victorian times, for an adaptation of Brian Augustyn and Mike Mignola's Batman: Gotham by Gaslight.

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight was the book that kicked off DC's famed Elseworlds line of stories. Published in February 1989, a few months before Tim Burton's first Batman movie kicked off a new wave of Batmania, Gotham by Gaslight tells the tale of what would happen if Bruce Wayne became Batman in 1889...and had to face off with the greatest mad killer of that era, Jack the Ripper.

There's no release date or voice cast yet, but expect Batman: Gotham by Gaslight in early 2018.

Looks like 'Gotham By Gaslight' will have a preview video available come October 2017.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE NEW FRONTIER Commemorative Edition Release Includes GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT Preview

4iE0E5p.jpg

WB announced the Justice League: The New Frontier animated movie will get a commemorative edition which includes an all new featurette spotlighting the art of Darwyn Cooke as well as a preview for the next animated movie, Gotham By Gaslight. 

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment returns to the roots of DC’s greatest Super Heroes – and their unifying moment – with the celebratory release of Justice League: The New Frontier – Commemorative Edition on Blu-ray™Combo Pack, Blu-ray™ Steelbook, and DVD on October 3, 2017.

Justice League: The New Frontier – Commemorative Edition includes incredible bonus features on both the Blu-ray Combo Pack and the DVD:

• Featurette – “Retro Action Cool: The Story of Darwyn Cooke” – A revealing look into the life and times of one of comics’ most brilliant figures, the late Darwyn Cooke.
  • Featurette – “Super Heroes United! The Complete Justice League History” – A comprehensive look at nearly a half-century of Justice League chronology from the inception in the comics to vivid animated renditions in the late 2000s. The story is told with a myriad of interviews tracing the early days of DC Super Hero team ups during the Golden Age to the Silver Age rendition where the established heroes emerged and beyond. Interviews include such notables as Dan DiDio, Michael Uslan, Paul Levitz, Mark Waid, Denny O'Neil, Stan Lee and Marv Wolfman.
  • Featurette – “The Legion of Doom: The Pathology of the DC Super Villain” – This 10-minute piece examines the early mythological archetypes of nemesis characters from a historical perspective and reveals how the tenants of this rich history were adapted and woven into the Justice League stories.
  • Featurette – “Comic Book Commentary: Homage to the New Frontier” – This mini-documentary is a nod to the fans of the New Frontier comics, further expanding the themes contained in the source material and how these elements were truncated or evolved for inclusion in the film. It features vivid imagery culled from the pages of DC: The New Frontier, mixed with the commentary of Darwyn Cooke. This featurette is a treat for both fans and scholars of the medium.
  • Sneak Peak: Gotham by Gaslight– A behind-the-scenes look at the next DC Universe Original Movie, inspired by the 1989 Elseworlds tale of Batman – at the turn of the 20th century – as first created as a graphic novel by Brian Augustyn and Mike Mignola, with inks by P. Craig Russell.
  • Audio CommentaryI/The Filmmakers – Featuring Justice League: The New Frontier filmmakers Bruce Timm, Michael Goguen, David Bullock, Stan Berkowitz, Andrea Romano and Gregory Noveck.
  • Audio Commentary II/Darwyn Cooke– Featuring award-winning writer/artist Darwyn Cooke

Awesome preview, looks fantastic visually. Really love the Ivy cameo, too. We'll just have to see if the story will hold up as, again, I think that was the weakest part of the original (the way it came together at the end seemed very contrived, IIRC). I think one of the main problems with many Batman stories that try to involve some sort of "we're taking Batman back to his detective roots" is that these stories aren't written by people with actual detective experience or authors with the skill of Dame Agatha or Sir Arthur, so they often come off as poorly-woven, clumsy and ham-fisted. At any rate, I'm on board for this flick for the visuals which will be worth the price of admission alone and DC Animated has a solid legacy with the acting as well -- if they do manage a better job with the story than the original, I will be pleasantly surprised.

1 hour ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Awesome preview, looks fantastic visually. Really love the Ivy cameo, too. We'll just have to see if the story will hold up as, again, I think that was the weakest part of the original (the way it came together at the end seemed very contrived, IIRC). I think one of the main problems with many Batman stories that try to involve some sort of "we're taking Batman back to his detective roots" is that these stories aren't written by people with actual detective experience or authors with the skill of Dame Agatha or Sir Arthur, so they often come off as poorly-woven, clumsy and ham-fisted. At any rate, I'm on board for this flick for the visuals which will be worth the price of admission alone and DC Animated has a solid legacy with the acting as well -- if they do manage a better job with the story than the original, I will be pleasantly surprised.

That's a really good point. Having someone that can really pull together a detective-like mentality and whit helps stories like this really come together. Hopefully, they figured out a solid approach to this in GBG.

:wishluck:

This is the first official clip from "Batman: Gotham By Gaslight," in which Pamela, The Plant Lady meets Jack the Ripper in the dark alleys of turn-of-the-century Gotham City. Produced by Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment, the all-new, feature-length animated film arrives from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment on Digital starting January 23, 2018, and on Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack and DVD February 6, 2018.

Batman: Gotham By Gaslight is now available on Digital, and arrives on Blu-ray & DVD starting February 6, 2018.

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will host the Los Angeles premiere of BATMAN: GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT on Monday, February 5, 2018 at The Paley Center for Media, but unfortunately all fan tickets are sold out. This promises to be a big event for the Bat-fans out there!