• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

buyatari nomination

13 posts in this topic

buyatari nomination

buyatari has already publicly stated that he's selling the multi-pack elsewhere so I assume that the 30-day waiting period is moot.  I sent a PM to buyatari that I am bringing his nomination to the probation list to this group.

Maybe buyatari doesn't understand that per forum practice a deal is made when an item is offered at a specific price and it's accepted.   We had agreed on the item and a price.  He argues that we didn't have a deal because we hadn't done the math on shipping, or that I hadn't paid him yet before he chose to make a better deal for himself with someone.  That may be what he expects is necessary for a deal but I think that's several steps more than what is necessary on the boards.   Forum practice on what constitutes a deal never requires an invoice and payment before it's considered a deal on the boards. 

Me:

Keep the books in Ohio!  I'm in Columbus.

I mentioned $25 for the Marvel 3-pack in your thread.  If you're selling, I'm buying.

buyatari:

I have  a local customer who claimed to be interested but he hasn't been back yet. I'd be willing to sell them if you want them.

Me:

Yes, I'll take it!  Let's work out the details.  I can send PP tomorrow night as soon as we figure the shipping cost and have a total price on the deal.

For estimation, my addy is

[redacted]

Priority or first class or whatever, speed is not all that important, I would just want the books packed up safely to avoid much risk of damage.

buyatari:

Just accepted an offer for all 3 lots at 75. Much easier for me than one at a time. If he fails to send payment I'll sell you the one set that you want.

Me

Please reconsider ... we should complete our deal.  I made an offer, you said you'd sell to me, and I accepted.    No problem if you sell the other buyer the two packs that weren't under discussion, that's not an issue.  But I really hope you will honor the deal that we had arranged for the Marvel 3-pack.

buyatari:

I told you that I'd sell to you. At the same time I told another potential buyer that I'd sell to him. I'd sell to anyone.

He only wants the Whitmans if he gets the Marvel pack.  So of the two possible deals that is the best option or I'm going to be stuck with the Whitmans. I'm not playing you guys against each other as he is paying the same price. I just want them gone and he is willing to take them all if he gets the Marvel pack. If you had an invoice and paid then yes I'd honor that deal but it's not a deal till then. 

Me

I posted asking the other buyer to scale back that deal.

You could do the same by letting the buyer know you already had a deal to sell the Marvel pack.

buyatari:

This is getting way too complicated and that is the opposite of what I seek in everything I do.

You both had interest. You only wanted one set. He wanted them all. In the end I agreed to his deal because that is the easiest way to go. You and I spoke about it but we didn't have a deal. I didn't give you a final price,send you an invoice or take your money. 

buyatari post:

They were on hold for a local customer. He didn't pick them up so I told you that I'd sell them if you wanted them. I told the same thing to another buyer. Both of you responded. He wanted all 3 so he wins. If he doesn't pay I'm not still not selling to you. You are making way too big a deal out of this and I want no part of that hassle. 

Kind of a shame over such a small amount of money but it sounds like from what you have shared, a deal was made.  Did you actually PM him that you had actually nominated him?

I don't look in this thread enough to know if the 30 day period can be waived if the other party has absolutely stated they have no intention of honoring the deal - someone can verify I am sure.

Yes, I sent a PM notification.

The 30-day period seems to be moot in this case.  The rules say " The 30-day rule is suspended if the accused refuses to complete the transaction or if the transaction cannot be completed due to, for example, the item being sold to someone else. "

I disagree with the nomination.

I'd suggest others read the source thread from copper where the original offer was made.  This is the third time I've seen the PM string posted, this is one of those nominations where someone is casually implying or communicating something without stating it clearly and an eager buyer jumps on it with an I'll Take It.

There's no language committing the seller to selling one item at an agreed upon price......indicating a willingness to sell 'them' to this buyer isn't a commitment or acknowledgement of anything that was put forward by this potential buyer. 

16 hours ago, bababooey said:

I disagree with the nomination.

I'd suggest others read the source thread from copper where the original offer was made.  This is the third time I've seen the PM string posted, this is one of those nominations where someone is casually implying or communicating something without stating it clearly and an eager buyer jumps on it with an I'll Take It.

There's no language committing the seller to selling one item at an agreed upon price......indicating a willingness to sell 'them' to this buyer isn't a commitment or acknowledgement of anything that was put forward by this potential buyer. 

I 100% agree with this.  Warlord is trying to ramrod this into a "done deal" - when it CLEARLY is not.  It wasn't even from a sale thread. Clear terms equal a clear deal.  a statement that "I'd be willing to sell them if you want them," is not clear enough to be a binding deal nor support a probation nomination.  It looks like a jam job.

2 hours ago, seanfingh said:

I 100% agree with this.  Warlord is trying to ramrod this into a "done deal" - when it CLEARLY is not.  It wasn't even from a sale thread. Clear terms equal a clear deal.  a statement that "I'd be willing to sell them if you want them," is not clear enough to be a binding deal nor support a probation nomination.  It looks like a jam job.

I'm inclined to agree there is some miscommunication at work, at least in the sense that the two are not on exactly the same page, and I do understand that is a basic ground for arguing there was no deal in the first instance. I don't really so much want to argue against that as say that from the buyer's perspective it was the seller who put the discussion firmly in the context of dealing the books, the seller brought up the existence of another interested party (a classic) which assuming true enough would have sent me the signal we were talking business and not the weather. The buyer did throw out $25 and make it clear he was buying at that price. I will be the first to agree we shouldn't be making deals after the fact that maybe didn't in good faith exist in the first place, but the seller sure wasn't being mugged for his books either. The seller should have had enough sense when he read "Yes, I'll take it" to ask the buyer for clarification about what he thought he was buying exactly.

But if the order of the discussion posted above is chronological, buyatari said, " I'd be willing to sell them if you want them. "  Doesn't that constitute an offer?  I guess depending on when Warlord accepted and the other buyer accepted all three would make a difference since the seller did make it conditional upon Warlord's desire by saying "...if you want them."  

I had assumed their discussion was for just the one pack and not all three but if that had not been firmly communicated, then certainly it is slippery but him saying another was interested in all three leads me to believe that only one lot was being taken here.  

33 minutes ago, telerites said:

But if the order of the discussion posted above is chronological, buyatari said, " I'd be willing to sell them if you want them. "  Doesn't that constitute an offer?  I guess depending on when Warlord accepted and the other buyer accepted all three would make a difference since the seller did make it conditional upon Warlord's desire by saying "...if you want them."  

I had assumed their discussion was for just the one pack and not all three but if that had not been firmly communicated, then certainly it is slippery but him saying another was interested in all three leads me to believe that only one lot was being taken here.  

I'm not saying that buyatari gets 5 stars for the way he handled it, I'm just saying that Warlord wanted the three pak and took the sentence "I'd be willing to sell them if you want them," as an immutable acceptance of a concrete offer.  I don't believe it was. I believe it was a guy saying "These are for sale at the right price and subject to the right terms." I don't think there is any reasonable alternative without pretending that one can read minds. 

This wasn't a for sale thread. I own a store a video game and music store but a physical brick and mortar store nonetheless. We sell just about anything sometimes comics. I had a local customer who was interested in these comics and he said he would be back when I had a price.  The thread posted was to get a better idea on what they were worth so I could sell them to him.

Some people here did inquire about the books. When the local buyer did not buy them I sent everyone on here who inquired about them a short general message that I would be willing to sell them now that he wasn't buying them. I was speaking in general terms not specifically agreeing to any specific deal. One person wanted one bag another wanted all three. I accepted the deal for all 3. 

To be clear. I did not have a deal with Warlord. I don't currently have a deal with Warlord and I will never have a deal with Warlord. I would sooner donate to the paper shredder. It amazes me that someone with the name WARLORD would go crying to mommy when he doesn't get his way over a $25 bag of books. 

Thanks for the rude message in reply to my PM notification.  I was just following the rules for your probation nomination that require that I send you a PM.    I won't highlight the points, but the attitude you've displayed has been poor in numerous ways.   It's disappointing.

Transactions are made every day in this forum that are nothing more than "Item X at $Y" and then a reply of :takeit: constitutes a deal.  That's all it takes.   There is no need for an invoice or payment or any other step you decide to add.   You are operating under your own definition of what constitutes a board deal.  As I stated at the top of the thread, giving you the benefit of the doubt, I think maybe you don't understand that that simple sequence is all that it takes to make a deal on the boards.   If you look at the PMs, we had exactly that exchange.  You subsequently announced that you had made an easier, bigger,  better deal for yourself.  You said that the other seller wouldn't do a deal unless he got all three packs  " He only wants the Whitmans if he gets the Marvel pack. "  Interesting.

For everyone's consideration, do we have different standards of behavior for sellers than we do for buyers?  Are sellers allowed to decide how many steps must be completed before there's a deal?   How many "buyers" are on the probation list because the seller posted "Item x at $Y", got an emoticon in response, and then the buyer didn't complete the deal?    My estimate is that it's the vast majority who committed that  simple offense.   It's bad enough if the buyer just backs out due to buyer's remorse or pleads poverty or just never replies again,  but it's even worse if the buyer backs out because they found a better deal.

Our fellow forumites can decide this one, I won't hammer the point. 

Edited by Warlord

50 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Thanks for the rude message in reply to my PM notification.  I was just following the rules for your probation nomination that require that I send you a PM.    I won't highlight the points, but the attitude you've displayed has been poor in numerous ways.   It's disappointing.

Transactions are made every day in this forum that are nothing more than "Item X at $Y" and then a reply of :takeit: constitutes a deal.  That's all it takes.   There is no need for an invoice or payment or any other step you decide to add.   You are operating under your own definition of what constitutes a board deal.  As I stated at the top of the thread, giving you the benefit of the doubt, I think maybe you don't understand that that simple sequence is all that it takes to make a deal on the boards.   If you look at the PMs, we had exactly that exchange.  You subsequently announced that you had made an easier, bigger,  better deal for yourself.  You said that the other seller wouldn't do a deal unless he got all three packs  " He only wants the Whitmans if he gets the Marvel pack. "  Interesting.

For everyone's consideration, do we have different standards of behavior for sellers than we do for buyers?  Are sellers allowed to decide how many steps must be completed before there's a deal?   How many "buyers" are on the probation list because the seller posted "Item x at $Y", got an emoticon in response, and then the buyer didn't complete the deal?    My estimate is that it's the vast majority who committed that  simple offense.   It's bad enough if the buyer just backs out due to buyer's remorse or pleads poverty or just never replies again,  but it's even worse if the buyer backs out because they found a better deal.

Bear in mind that in most of the clear cases of an "I'll take it" being a firm deal the seller has followed the Board rules for making and running a sales thread specifically, i.e. there are clear asking prices for which they must sell, the "I'll take it" has been defined, the shipping and other details are usually declared at the start, so once that is the case, indeed a simple "I'll take it" normally carries the day. Here your context is different. As I understand it the seller was fishing about for interest and pricing advice, in the process of which some members, yourself included, contacted him looking to buy. You did clearly state what you were willing to spend for the item, no doubt, but your PM exchanges had not made explicit in advance, as with a normal sales thread, the terms that conventionally define a done deal.

That said, there still remains the fact that "I'd be willing to sell them if you want them" is not necessarily a direct response to your offer, at first glance I did think there was a deal also, but I confess I now have doubts, that the seller may simply have indicated his willingness to discuss it further, he had not listed the books at $25 already, which is the difference with a normal sales thread. I do fault the seller for not clarifying immediately the situation, and I think that is partly because the seller does not understand what "I'll take it" means here on the Boards. If he didn't believe there was a deal in process he should have stopped you in your tracks right there to prevent misunderstanding.

29 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Thanks for the rude message in reply to my PM notification.  

Go ahead and post my rude PM. You felt the need to post all the other PMs in THREE threads already. So what is one more? What did I say that was so rude? "Go away already" Something like that? 

If three threads of crying about it isn't hammering the point then how many threads does it take? Six, ten threads? 

No matter how anyone sees this you are going way overboard. Somehow your personal slight at being turn down for a ipossible transaction is some huge injustice and you are going to make me pay for it. You posted our PMs in THREE separate threads crying to anyone who would hear you and you want me suspended as if I am some danger to the community.

Another point worth pointing out is that there is date gap in those PMs. There was what 5-7 days between the post when you expressed interest and when I said that I could finally sell it. When you post those PMs as you did it does make the messages look like they were same day or next day posts. You made an offer and others also expressed interest. 5-7 days later when it was ok for me to sell them online I sent a message to anyone who expressed interest. Two replies. You trying to force a deal as if it was already a done deal and another who offered to buy them all. No brainier which of those offers was the best one to take. 

On April 10, 2017 at 5:37 PM, Warlord said:

Maybe buyatari doesn't understand that per forum practice a deal is made when an item is offered at a specific price and it's accepted

You state things that just aren't true in your attempt to have me suspended.  I never offered you an item for a specific price.  

I never gave you a price. Never asked you for your address. Never gave you my payment or shipping options or prices. We didn't discuss any of that because I accepted a deal from someone else and not your offer. Of course you have no problems with me breaking what really is a deal with someone else to satisfy your demand. You have no problem saying a 30 day restriction need not apply when you don't want it to. No the rules only apply to other people even if you have to twist around the story to make it fit. 

1 hour ago, crassus said:

That said, there still remains the fact that "I'd be willing to sell them if you want them" is not necessarily a direct response to your offer, at first glance I did think there was a deal also, but I confess I now have doubts, that the seller may simply have indicated his willingness to discuss it further, he had not listed the books at $25 already, which is the difference with a normal sales thread. I do fault the seller for not clarifying immediately the situation, and I think that is partly because the seller does not understand what "I'll take it" means here on the Boards. If he didn't believe there was a deal in process he should have stopped you in your tracks right there to prevent misunderstanding.

Also keep in mind his PM where he expressed interest was on March 27th.

My PM to all potential buyers was on April 3rd.

Looking at his PM stream as he posted it you might think that these replies were back to back when in fact there was about a week between them. Up until April 3rd the item was not available for sale. There had been some time that had passed between when people expressed interest and when I was ready to sell online. I did want to see who was still interested and in some cases what they had to offer. 

Initially, I was hoping to make a local sale as they are so much easier but it didn't work out. I've been a member here for almost 10 years now but never sold anything here before.