• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 667 Dell'Otto Variant...

23 posts in this topic

My wife won it for me last night. Was super excited as its the last big variant I need for my run. Paid. Seller "shipped" this morning with tracking.  Then she gets a bs message tonight stating that they were sorry. That They mistakenly sent it to another buyer with other books and that they had to sadly cancel her sale as the book is gone by error.  Story made no sense. He had told her last night that he was getting a bunch of offers off eBay. I'm guessing one was too good to pass up as they decided to go with their bs story. Either way, scumbag moves across the board. I certainly hope it was nobody here on this board that ruined this sale for us...if it was...thanks a ton....

10 minutes ago, Lockford88 said:

My wife won it for me last night. Was super excited as its the last big variant I need for my run. Paid. Seller "shipped" this morning with tracking.  Then she gets a bs message tonight stating that they were sorry. That They mistakenly sent it to another buyer with other books and that they had to sadly cancel her sale as the book is gone by error.  Story made no sense. He had told her last night that he was getting a bunch of offers off eBay. I'm guessing one was too good to pass up as they decided to go with their bs story. Either way, scumbag moves across the board. I certainly hope it was nobody here on this board that ruined this sale for us...if it was...thanks a ton....

Interesting hm

What will the consensus be I wonder? Many here don't care where the report of a transaction comes from, they seem to believe they took place, so if someone shows up claiming to have sold / bought it... Others - myself included - value any public transaction a bit more highly.

Probably a decent chance, if it was sold to someone else outside of eBay, that the buyer is a board member.

Yeah, I said to my wife that it was probably someone from the board. I don't know who you are or IF you are even here...but if you are reading this and are the one responsible, you are a complete scumbag. Oh, and the refund says it will take 5 days to process for whatever reason which is just icing on the cake. 

I tried to figure out how to find this person but the seller stopped responding to me earlier even before she left the negative for him. I did find the seller on Facebook as he's in a comic group I'm in.

It wasn't me I swears!  I've got my copy already.  That sucks man, sorry to hear that.  I can imagine going from thinking you own arguably THEE Modern Age Variant, to nothing at all.  I'm convinced you are right about the bs story and seller, your beef should be with that seller tho cause dats shady AF.

Jerome

I think fans of the book are just sick of seeing threads about it getting locked. :tonofbricks:

I didn't even see the listing until after it was marked sold.  I didn't think it was legit either originally, since the BIN price was half of fair market value, or less for even a beat up raw copy.  I would be upset too if that sale didn't complete.   I'm sorry to hear that.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

It's all good. Hopefully the karma gods will work their magic. I'm pissed but I feel bad for the wife. She shuffled funds at midnight and went back and forth with him for about an hour before hand. Then surprised me in the am...super stoked only to get disappointed at night. Blows. 

5 hours ago, Lethal_Collector said:

It wasn't me I swears!  I've got my copy already.  That sucks man, sorry to hear that.  I can imagine going from thinking you own arguably THEE Modern Age Variant, to nothing at all.  I'm convinced you are right about the bs story and seller, your beef should be with that seller tho cause dats shady AF.

Jerome

"THEE" modern variant king?

I can think of 1 or 2 books that can fight this one. ?

1 hour ago, TheSSurfer said:

Does anyone think these variants will be worth something as JIM 83, or other key apps? Or is this just the current market that makes them so expensive? Basically would it be good to rely on variants as investments?

You cannot really compare them to classic keys.  Classic keys have a demand that spans a large number of collectors.  Relatively rare variants have a much smaller base of collectors, but who are just as passionate.  I believe a relatively rare book about a relevant character by a relevant artist will always have some value.  Now, whether the value remains high or fluctuates over time, nobody can really say.  But as long as Spider-Man, Batman, etc. are still around, these comics will have some demand.  The only time you need to worry is when the character fades into obscurity.  As for whether or not Dell'Otto's superstar status fades, no doubt it will eventually.  But, to what extend it fades is important.  Neal Adam is not the superstar he once was, but his books have remained in demand after all these years.

To simply dismiss these modern variants of Marvel and DC books as nothing more than a current trend would be a mistake.  As long as Marvel and DC continue to publish titles featuring these characters, someone somewhere will want to own these books, regardless of the price.  It is books featuring characters that are no longer printed that I would be more concerned with the value of.  Who is going to want to pay big bucks for a book featuring an obscure character, regardless of rarity?  The book will need much more than rarity going for it in that case.

Edited by rjrjr