• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns with a print run of 500 or fewer copies

65 posts in this topic

Moderns with a print run of 500 or fewer copies

Off the top of my head, recent likely candidates include:

Pretty much any 1:1000 variant. (Ie. McFarlane Venom, Jim Lee X-Men Gold).
A fair number of 1:100 variants (ie. Ms. Marvel #1, Art Adams sketch, etc.)
America #2 1:50. You don't tend to see many 1:50s in this range, I think.
Amazing Spider-man #23 Comicxposure Edition C (Gold Virgin).

The IDW G.I.Joe Marvel #1 reprint with the toon variant, possibly. 

I can't think of any DC candidates for this aside from maybe the KFC giveaways (Colonel of Two Worlds and Colonel Corps), as these were primarily given away digitally with very limited con releases. Maybe the Young Animal promo booklet from SDCC although this was apparently reprinted without any identifying marks to id it as a second printing.

There's probably about a chance with some Kickstarter comics. I've financed via Kickstarter myself and while I have done the whole 200 copy "variant" run thing as a high tier reward, that's not the norm. I have a much higher run than 500 on my biggest seller even though I only needed a bit less than that for the campaign. It's cheaper in many cases to order bigger runs and most folks I talk to are sitting on anywhere from several hundred to several thousand copies in overstock.

Five Ghosts SDCC 1-5  there are 50 for each of these and NYCC 6-10

Saga 1 RRP 500

East of West 1 RRP 300

There were a lot of Image comics that have some copy in this this category. Then there are the store variants for lots of comics from lots of companies.

Black Mask had some books numbered to 50.

Enormous 1 NYCC numbered to 106. 

Aftershock has a lot of 1:10 books where the primary cover's distribution numbers are under 5,000 so they should be somewhere in that ballpark. 

20 minutes ago, the authority said:

Five Ghosts SDCC 1-5  there are 50 for each of these and NYCC 6-10

Saga 1 RRP 500

East of West 1 RRP 300

There were a lot of Image comics that have some copy in this this category. Then there are the store variants for lots of comics from lots of companies.

Black Mask had some books numbered to 50.

Enormous 1 NYCC numbered to 106. 

Aftershock has a lot of 1:10 books where the primary cover's distribution numbers are under 5,000 so they should be somewhere in that ballpark. 

Any idea where this print run figure originates from ?

-J.

Divinity 1 1:40 Variant ~ 200 copies

XO Manowar #1 (2017) 1:500 Brushed Metal Variant ~ 121

The Divinity 1 1:40 print run was confirmed by Dinesh.  The XO Manowar #1 Brushed metal numbers are estimates based on the 60,524 regular copies sold.  

These are some of the modern books that VALIANT collectors consider rare.  

39 minutes ago, the authority said:

I've read it so many times that I really can't recall who stated it or when but it seems to be pretty universally held that 500 is the number. I'll get you some links. For the record, I've never owned one.

CBSI Saga article

Thanks!  I'm familiar with these sites that have repeated the 500 print run number.  

Here is the original Diamond solicit for the book:

https://summits.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/54/787?articleID=118463

It's listed near the bottom as the "Saga 1 Third Printing".  

No mention of print quantities there and whatever copies that were generated were sent out directly "one per attendee" after the fact.....

With hundreds of copies of the book on the census after such a relatively short period of time (relative to its alleged print run) I've often wondered why no one has ever really questioned this 500 print run, yet will argue so vociferously when certain other books' print numbers are discussed.   hm

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

I'm not arguing anything if you're referring to me. I have very, very few variant anything other than 1 for 1 variants. I buy lots and lots of those to read and collect. I even sold my Eow RRP and all of my Forbidden Planet #1's.  If you have a different number for the books I listed, feel free to share them. I'm always open minded in this respect as I wasn't at that Retailer Summit. Maybe one or more of them could share what they learned there.

Just now, the authority said:

I'm not arguing anything if you're referring to me. I have very, very few variant anything other than 1 for 1 variants. I buy lots and lots of those to read and collect. I even sold my Eow RRP and all of my Forbidden Planet #1's.  If you have a different number for the books I listed, feel free to share them. I'm always open minded in this respect as I wasn't at that Retailer Summit. Maybe one or more of them could share what they learned there.

lol I wasn't referring to you.  I tried to edit my post to make that a little clearer after the fact, to no avail I suppose.   But if I had to put an estimate on the Saga 1 third print, I would put it in the 1000-1500 range, possibly closer to the 1000 than the 1500.

In any event, not really trying to stir the pot.  Just musing on a Wednesday morning....

-J.

52 minutes ago, IntrepidXC said:

Divinity 1 1:40 Variant ~ 200 copies

XO Manowar #1 (2017) 1:500 Brushed Metal Variant ~ 121

The Divinity 1 1:40 print run was confirmed by Dinesh.  The XO Manowar #1 Brushed metal numbers are estimates based on the 60,524 regular copies sold.  

These are some of the modern books that VALIANT collectors consider rare.  

FYI, The Divinity #1 1:40 print run was ~350 not 200.  The Savage #1 1:50 was ~300.  Dinesh has confirmed both.

Edited by FormerReader