• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns with a print run of 500 or fewer copies

65 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Ecranu said:

I'm curious about variant print runs, as well, after CBSI ran that Invincible article: https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/04/10/invincible-lowest-print-run-top-5/

What is the real value, if there is no significant occurrence, in that issue?  Like a 1st appearance.

Someone didn't realize there were 10k Invincible #1 printed. I thought it was fewer than that.

10 hours ago, FormerReader said:

FYI, The Divinity #1 1:40 print run was ~350 not 200.  The Savage #1 1:50 was ~300.  Dinesh has confirmed both.

Your right I had things mixed up. Divinity is 350.  I can't believe I forgot savage 1 1:50 either. Maybe it's because I couldn't find a copy.

Blackest Night #2 1:250 Sketch variant. I've got a 9.6 ?

Also, a lot of smaller Indy books. The Grimm Fairy Tales series has a TON of covers Ltd. 500 and under. 

I collect Lady Death covers with Ltd covers 99 or less. 

Edited by Gunnz

19 hours ago, IntrepidXC said:

Divinity 1 1:40 Variant ~ 200 copies

XO Manowar #1 (2017) 1:500 Brushed Metal Variant ~ 121

The Divinity 1 1:40 print run was confirmed by Dinesh.  The XO Manowar #1 Brushed metal numbers are estimates based on the 60,524 regular copies sold.  

These are some of the modern books that VALIANT collectors consider rare.  

Print run of 121? That's an awefully specific and odd number.

Just now, Ecranu said:

Still pretty low, by most standards.

Compared to the numbers it pulled monthly, it is only marginally low. It isn't like this book ever saw WD-like growth. What are the monthly numbers as best we know, like 10k - 15k? Not bad numbers by any means - most Image creators would probably be good with that - but not big enough numbers to make 10k of issue #1 seem very small.

33 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Compared to the numbers it pulled monthly, it is only marginally low. It isn't like this book ever saw WD-like growth. What are the monthly numbers as best we know, like 10k - 15k? Not bad numbers by any means - most Image creators would probably be good with that - but not big enough numbers to make 10k of issue #1 seem very small.

Makes sense.  I was eluding more towards the mainstream stuff, regarding 'most standards'.

From the point of view of serious collectors, how much weight does a low print run variant have on value, if there's no major event or first appearance in that issue?

10 minutes ago, Ecranu said:

Makes sense.  I was eluding more towards the mainstream stuff, regarding 'most standards'.

From the point of view of serious collectors, how much weight does a low print run variant have on value, if there's no major event or first appearance in that issue?

Yeah, if it ever becomes mainstream (which is what I was alluding to by mentioning WD), then it will be a big deal - that isn't very many copies if you're a household name.

We're still very early in on this, as I've said before, I think we'll know a lot more if we ever get to budget / casting talk.

11 minutes ago, Ecranu said:

Short term: slab a 9.8 and sell for a hundred or two.  Get rid of it fast.

Long term: will decrease over time as people always move on to the next flavor of the month.

Invincible Returns #1 1:50 Finch Sketch Variant. 1st appearance of Grand Regent Thragg. Est. Print run just shy of 400 based off of Comichron's claimed total print run of 19,933. I'm thinking there are a lot fewer. Only 3 on CGC census for now, a forth will soon appear in the SS area. As Ecranu mentioned on a different site, this book is an important book to the entire Invincible series. 

IMG_0343.PNG

On 4/12/2017 at 8:08 PM, Ecranu said:

I'm curious about variant print runs, as well, after CBSI ran that Invincible article: https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/04/10/invincible-lowest-print-run-top-5/

What is the real value, if there is no significant occurrence, in that issue?  Like a 1st appearance.

Not to get too existential but after One More Day and half a dozen DC Crises, what counts as significant? A new costume USED to. And now Captain America gets a different costume with every artist. Marriages get erased and restored. So do kids and deaths and severed arms. Punisher has been an angel and a Frankenstein's monster.

In some ways, the only truly significant stuff is political. X-Men Gold is, oddly, significant. The decision to make Iceman gay while not exactly political would GET political if they ever undid it. Luke Cage and Black Lightning debuting when they did is significant because it was a response to culture. Ditto Ms. Marvel.

At the end of the day, if you're looking for historical significance, it's gonna be "socially relevant" in a way that's reboot proof. That can be market relevant. The surest way to be market relevant, though, is probably gonna boil down to nostalgia, rarity, and a popular character. The events won't matter in 18 months.

Incidentally, while the preceding was opinion, it's also why I'm getting 3 gold virgin Amazing Spider-man #23s slabbed and signed. Not the most meaningful issue of the arc but a Spider-man comic with a popular cover artist and a run of 500 is going to trounce Jonathan Kent or Damian Wayne's first appearances for the next 10-15 years, even if they get put in the live action movies.

Unless you operate based on volume and have a warehouse full of Damian and Jon appearances. But shipping and slabbing costs eat into that as a viable strategy for profit.

EDIT: Harley Quinn and Deadpool might be counter-arguments. But even if I'd been banking on Harley being big, I'd have considered her No Man's Land one shot her first appearance. And I never thought NM #98 could be made scarce enough to be valuable.

Edited by PatrickG

5 minutes ago, PatrickG said:

Not to get too existential but after One More Day and half a dozen DC Crises, what counts as significant? A new costume USED to. And now Captain America gets a different costume with every artist. Marriages get erased and restored. So do kids and deaths and severed arms. Punisher has been an angel and a Frankenstein's monster.

In some ways, the only truly significant stuff is political. X-Men Gold is, oddly, significant. The decision to make Iceman gay while not exactly political would GET political if they ever undid it. Luke Cage and Black Lightning debuting when they did is significant because it was a response to culture. Ditto Ms. Marvel.

At the end of the day, if you're looking for historical significance, it's gonna be "socially relevant" in a way that's reboot proof. That can be market relevant. The surest way to be market relevant, though, is probably gonna boil down to nostalgia, rarity, and a popular character. The events won't matter in 18 months.

I feel pretty similar. I used to say "it" whenever these type of threads popped up, but certain people just called me negative. But "it" is that my opinion is that only key issues will hold value long term. Rarity by itself (or even with a pretty cover) isn't enough.

Invincible keys that matter - #1, #2

Invincible keys in between - #5, #16

Invincible second tier keys - #50, #61

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

I feel pretty similar. I used to say "it" whenever these type of threads popped up, but certain people just called me negative. But "it" is that my opinion is that only key issues will hold value long term. Rarity by itself (or even with a pretty cover) isn't enough.

Do you mean 26 or 16? 

26 is first Oliver

Edited by GLCBrad
Clarification

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

Square, don't be so myopic my man.  There are books sought based on cover/rarity alone reaching all the way back to the GA.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules