• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for expert on foreign DC reprints in 60s

8 posts in this topic

Looking for expert on foreign DC reprints in 60s

Hi, I am from Australia and when I started collecting the US comics back in the 80's I pretty well considered our B & W 60s reprints junk. (well actually as they had been lent out and read to death they pretty well were). I started feeling nostalgic as they contained a lot of Atom age stuff as well and have been looking at picking some up. Way overpriced so far, but maybe the dealers are just ahead of the curve.

Now Australia was reprinting Batman and Superman from the 50s at least and started selling basically most of the range of what was published by DC in the early 60s as collections.

Is there someone who is regarded as an expert on these books. Not just Australian but DC reprints

Edited by Terry E.

Hmmm. No one stopped by to help yet?

https://www.comics.org/

is a pretty good resource - it'll give the source of a (reprinted) story or conversely indicate when and where a story has been reprinted.

For a little more in depth info, https://ausreprints.net/

has a lot more detail on the history of the various reprint publishers in Oz.

Anything in particular you're after in terms of information?

Thanks guys, Ausreprints has been great, I will look into the others. Flash was reprinted in Australia very soon after the US. Maybe first  of the many different international reprints.

Hi Terry,

I started the foreign comic collectors group on facebook that is associated with Foreign Comic Collector Magazine. There are very few doing research on these types of books, that we know of. We can put you in contact with an expert in Australia. Feel free to come and join us on facebook. I have been chasing these books as well as other vintage Australian editions for many years. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I know how extremely difficult these are to find. 

2017-02-24 20.21.46.jpg

Edited by Davidone

On 4/25/2017 at 8:53 PM, Terry E. said:

Thanks guys, Ausreprints has been great, I will look into the others. Flash was reprinted in Australia very soon after the US. Maybe first  of the many different international 

It would seem that the first Silver Age Flash, outside of the US, was in Australia's Hundred #3 in 1956. I don't know of any other edition that pre-dates this one.

hundred-comic-monthly-3-colour-comics.jpg

David I picked up No. 11 just before starting the thread, which has a very similar cover to Showcase 8, but on closer examination it is not. No back cover, but the paper we used was not great but the paper used for covers holds the colors very well. Considering the Silver age had just begun these are pretty amazing.