• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Increase Max Number of Likes
1 1

Question

94 answers to this question

On 4/13/2017 at 3:41 PM, Marwood & I said:

Here's an alternative suggestion that I made in the 'I Hate the New Boards' thread a few days ago @comicquant. Arch has yet to respond (I also suggested we get rid of the Leaderboard. No reply on that either):

It's nonsense isn't it. The only logical reason for a daily cap is to stop people rapidly inflating the like counts of others for reasons other than genuine appreciation. So a couple of people ruin it for everyone else.

@Architecht

That's what happened across the street with their system.  A very small number of posters built threads to give one another likes/thumbs-up clicks.

Here's an alternative suggestion that I made in the 'I Hate the New Boards' thread a few days ago @comicquant. Arch has yet to respond (I also suggested we get rid of the Leaderboard. No reply on that either):

On 10/04/2017 at 3:32 PM, nepatkm said:

I use up my 10 quick.... 22 hrs until refreshed. lol

It's nonsense isn't it. The only logical reason for a daily cap is to stop people rapidly inflating the like counts of others for reasons other than genuine appreciation. So a couple of people ruin it for everyone else. The better thing to do would be to put a daily limit on the number of likes you can place for one person. So, for example, you can like 100 posts a day from 100 different people if you want, but say a minimum of 3 per day for the same person. 

That would stop the 'abuse' and allow people to like away to their hearts content. Realistically, a poster would have to be doing some pretty great stuff to warrant more than 3 a day anyway. So that would really work in my view.

What do you think?

@Architecht - if you read this, is the above idea technically possible? I'll happily raise a Change Request if so.

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

It's nonsense isn't it. The only logical reason for a daily cap is to stop people rapidly inflating the like counts of others for reasons other than genuine appreciation. So a couple of people ruin it for everyone else. The better thing to do would be to put a daily limit on the number of likes you can place for one person. So, for example, you can like 100 posts a day from 100 different people if you want, but say a minimum of 3 per day for the same person. 

That would stop the 'abuse' and allow people to like away to their hearts content. Realistically, a poster would have to be doing some pretty great stuff to warrant more than 3 a day anyway. So that would really work in my view.

What do you think?

@Architecht - if you read this, is the above idea technically possible? I'll happily raise a Change Request if so.

Thats definitely a good solution.  I think the problem is @Architect is at the limits of whatever the underlying software is.  If it doesn't support like counts against users I'm not sure they'd be willing to implement.  Just remove the cap.  I doubt many people mind someone having inflated like counts.  I didn't even know you could see like counts for a user until a few days ago.  "Likes" are a better mechanism for acknowledging something being noteworthy than having to explain why its noteworthy (if that makes sense).  Now you have to examine things with "Is that worth using up my likeforce for?" in the back of your mind.  On top of that your likes don't carry over!?!?!  I actually have a like back log and right now I'm in some trouble...        

12 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Thats definitely a good solution.  I think the problem is @Architect is at the limits of whatever the underlying software is.  If it doesn't support like counts against users I'm not sure they'd be willing to implement.  Just remove the cap.  I doubt many people mind someone having inflated like counts.  I didn't even know you could see like counts for a user until a few days ago.  "Likes" are a better mechanism for acknowledging something being noteworthy than having to explain why its noteworthy (if that makes sense).  Now you have to examine things with "Is that worth using up my likeforce for?" in the back of your mind.  On top of that your likes don't carry over!?!?!  I actually have a like back log and right now I'm in some trouble...        

Yep. Hence my second suggestion, keep uncapped likes but get rid of the Leaderboard.  Leaderboard manipulation was, as I understand it, the reason for the 10 like cap being introduced.  The cap was introduced to limit an abuse problem, and then itself became a problem. 

@Architecht where do you stand on all this nonsense? 

On 13/04/2017 at 11:11 PM, comicquant said:

Can't wait to like that on Saturday 

Oi! It's Saturday - where's me like @comicquant?

Good afternoon @Architecht, if it is not too much trouble, and of course only when you have finished stuffing your face with Easter eggs, Hot Cross Buns and the like, could you please take the trouble to look at the next three pictures and then ponder them in conjunction with the very fine plus suggestions made earlier in this most topical and praise worthy thread please? Many thanks:

fol.thumb.PNG.6adccd04c58ed5e33e84506f9137572a.PNG

liz.thumb.PNG.9ca9c67ea213a7e94b9f63df33a07f5b.PNG

Image result for i am very disappointed gif

:frustrated:

• Administrator

Considering it... considering.... considering... aaaannnd no.

Just kidding. We'll probably keep evolving how the like system works. I'm watching feedback like this, and thinking about whether to treat likes as just a general social approval mechanism, or as a surfacer of quality content. Maybe if we took the limits off and let people like whatever they wanted, the quality stuff would still rise to the top on its own. Not sure.

50 minutes ago, Architecht said:

Just kidding. We'll probably keep evolving how the like system works. I'm watching feedback like this, and thinking about whether to treat likes as just a general social approval mechanism, or as a surfacer of quality content. Maybe if we took the limits off and let people like whatever they wanted, the quality stuff would still rise to the top on its own. Not sure.

I tried to like this

8 hours ago, Lucky Baru said:

That's what happened across the street with their system.  A very small number of posters built threads to give one another likes/thumbs-up clicks.

Tedious isn't it. 

10 hours ago, Architecht said:

Splendid, thanks Arch. Is my idea of unlimited likes but with a cap per individual technically viable? 

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Splendid, thanks Arch. Is my idea of unlimited likes but with a cap per individual technically viable? 

No, that is not a configurable option.

We could turn off the leaderboard though. I am not convinced that is worth it at the moment.

7 minutes ago, Architecht said:

No, that is not a configurable option.

We could turn off the leaderboard though. I am not convinced that is worth it at the moment.

I'll stick my neck out and say that the majority of active members like liking posts @Architecht. Not in the way you intended them to work, but they do like liking just to show appreciation. It spreads good will. The 10 per day cap annoys people. A system set up for liking that annoys people has surely failed somehow, no? 'Gaming' likes only has a purpose if you can see the results of that gaming. So if you can't head it off with a single member cap, switching off the Leaderboard would be the next best thing.  

Maybe you should poll the members to see what they want. Maybe 99% of members are totally ambivalent. A poll set by you will likely garner many more responses though, as you are the 'guvnor' and people take note when you speak. I've lost a bit of interest in the subject now if I'm honest Arch so this will be my last bang of the "sort the likes out"drum. 

• Administrator
20 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

I'll stick my neck out and say that the majority of active members like liking posts @Architecht. Not in the way you intended them to work, but they do like liking just to show appreciation. It spreads good will. The 10 per day cap annoys people. A system set up for liking that annoys people has surely failed somehow, no? 'Gaming' likes only has a purpose if you can see the results of that gaming. So if you can't head it off with a single member cap, switching off the Leaderboard would be the next best thing.  

Maybe you should poll the members to see what they want. Maybe 99% of members are totally ambivalent. A poll set by you will likely garner many more responses though, as you are the 'guvnor' and people take note when you speak. I've lost a bit of interest in the subject now if I'm honest Arch so this will be my last bang of the "sort the likes out"drum. 

Yep, I get the theory, but we also get some positives (as well as negatives) with the leaderboard. I want to make sure we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I try to look at both the annoyances and the gains we get. If we only look at annoyances then we can end up drawing half-informed conclusions.  I also like to let the usage settle out enough that we can tell what is really working and what isn't.

For example, the most vocal early voices wanted to (and may still want to) entirely turn likes off. Now we're discussing whether to raise the cap instead. Opinions change as we start to see different value or solutions to a problem - that's natural and smart. So, bottom line, I'm waiting on tossing out the leaderboard.

But we can't have stasis either. Here's a tweak. Members have 15 likes now, Seasoned Veterans have 30.

21 minutes ago, Architecht said:

Yep, I get the theory, but we also get some positives (as well as negatives) with the leaderboard. I want to make sure we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I try to look at both the annoyances and the gains we get. If we only look at annoyances then we can end up drawing half-informed conclusions.  I also like to let the usage settle out enough that we can tell what is really working and what isn't.

For example, the most vocal early voices wanted to (and may still want to) entirely turn likes off. Now we're discussing whether to raise the cap instead. Opinions change as we start to see different value or solutions to a problem - that's natural and smart. So, bottom line, I'm waiting on tossing out the leaderboard.

But we can't have stasis either. Here's a tweak. Members have 15 likes now, Seasoned Veterans have 30.

Is that because Seasoned Veterans can be trusted to use them 'properly' and us mere Members can't?  Or is the additional 15 a day for the SV's some kind of loyalty / longevity reward?

Either way, I am at a total loss as to why you would introduce this tweak. We've had April fools day already haven't we?

8 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Is that because Seasoned Veterans can be trusted to use them 'properly' and us mere Members can't?  Or is the additional 15 a day for the SV's some kind of loyalty / longevity reward?

Either way, I am at a total loss as to why you would introduce this tweak. We've had April fools day already haven't we?

Considering what @Architecht already has on their plate I would consider this a step in the right direction.  We're all going to have things we want done but the person left with the task of prioritizing our requests is Arch so I think we should be happy they spent the time to even reply let alone bump up the total.  I will use my extra 5 likes wisely!

Edited by comicquant

10 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Considering what @Architecht already has on their plate I would consider this a step in the right direction.  We're all going to have things we want done but the person left with the task of prioritizing our requests is Arch so I think we should be happy they spent the time to even reply let alone bump up the total.  I will use my extra 5 likes wisely!

I admire your generosity of spirit @comicquant, but Arch is paid to do this job, and he appears to be the only one we can speak to about anything so will always be in the 'firing line' for everything. That's how CGC have set this up. It would be great to see some other admin staff chipping in and sharing the load, if load there be, but that doesn't seem to be the model here. He's managing a comic chat forum at the end of the day, not operating on life threatening illnesses. I just think the decision to set different like levels creates a division. To my knowledge (I'm on neither) Facebook and Twitter users all are on the same page whether they joined yesterday or when the things first started. They don't give out special feature privileges for long term users. I think that's how it should be here. The only thing that should matter is the quality of your post. But please don't judge me too harshly for being 'critical', it's just an alternative opinion on a chat forum. :foryou:

1 1