• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Increase Max Number of Likes
1 1

Question

94 answers to this question

On 4/13/2017 at 2:24 PM, comicquant said:

Increase Max Number of Likes

At first I didn't think I'd like the ability to like things but now that I've used it I would like more likes to like things with.  At least 25.

I prefer it over the myriad of "+1" or "this" posts.

Unfortunately some of the not so grown children use anything as an excuse for disruption or ways to make themselves feel less insecure.

On 29/5/2017 at 2:36 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I was wondering why the interest in me and not anyone else... hm 

someone feels their popularity is being threatened

oh no.... Jsilvejanet is going to overtake me on the leaderboard...help me arch...help...

The most disturbing part, actually, is that they still believe you are a woman. :flamed:

Hi @Architecht, I just heard that the chap with no hair who used to fight Flash Gordon was in fact a very happy chap and not at all merciless.

In fact, back in the day his minions used to call him "Gay Ming the Leader, Bald" 

flashgordon5.thumb.jpg.20cfcaba41b6651837b0df26d66b49a8.jpg

Edited by Marwood & I

19 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Hi @Architecht, I just heard that the chap with no hair who used to fight Flash Gordon was in fact a very happy chap and not at all merciless.

In fact, back in the day his minions used to call him "Gay Ming the Leader, Bald" 

flashgordon5.thumb.jpg.20cfcaba41b6651837b0df26d66b49a8.jpg

Oh, come on! That's got to be worth a like hasn't it? Come on! ?

3016009_orig.gif.1b27802855f4eee52ea537d88afeee17.gif

On 21/07/2017 at 4:21 PM, Architecht said:

TLDR;

I'm kind of ignoring it right now, as it doesn't seem to be hurting much. It's silly, and I have no idea why people bother, but if it makes them happy, is time consuming to police and doesn't hurt much then it's better to let it go.

Longer version:

The like system has a few uses. One is just a good way for people to commend others for good posts. In that vein, it's not so much about the total number of likes received as a "score" with a "winner". It's about the genuine giving/receiving of a like that the author knows wasn't just some exploitation of the system to increment a number. In other words, it's nice to like a post and show the author some appreciation and it's nice to receive that like.

This aspect of the system doesn't really require a leaderboard or anything similar. It has a benefit simply by existing and getting used in a genuine fashion where the liker and the likee know it was genuine. "Alternative uses" of the system to game the leader board don't really impair this function.

The leaderboard itself IS supposed to have some value, though. Its value to me isn't about declaring a "Winner" on who got the most likes. The value is actually the area that shows you the most liked content. It allows you discover cool posts that you might otherwise never have seen. Rampant mutual liking of every post made by a couple of people CAN get in the way of that. It can clutter up that area with loads of low value posts that now look like something worth highlighting, but really aren't. Protecting that function would be the reason to bust people for mutual-like-clubs.

However, the limit we put on total number of likes per day by a user does tend to force people to choose to ACTUALLY like real things versus just liking everything another person posts. That does a couple of things - it holds down the "alternative use" of the system just enough, and helps bias the system of "most like posts" towards things that might actually be cool content.

It's not perfect, but it seems good enough right now, and so it's not worth trying to police it further.

SO, as long as people can still share genuine likes, and a list of the posts with the most likes are cool posts that people should want to read, the rest of it (like who wins the daily leaderboard) is kind of irrelevant. So if people find it fun to game that part of the system, have at it, I guess. 

You don't have to hold your likes back
And you don't have to play straight or fair
No you don't have to hold your likes back
Baby it's alright
Cos honey Arch don't care!
Oh baby Arch don't care!
Oh honey Arch don't care!
No honey Arch don't care!

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

31 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

If you can't beat them, join LIKE them :baiting: 

Fair enough, you won Hector. Not that I like it of course (thumbsu

4 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

You're supposed to like my posts not comment about them :makepoint:

Being a mere Member I have to use them sparingly Janet, but you will get one from me when it's deserved. Fortunately for you you've got the Forumite of the Year rooting for you 24/7 so, with his superior daily SV like limit, bequeathed to him by Ar?chi?ba?ld, your continued ascendancy is assured :cool:

1 1