• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is selling art on an uptick?
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Is selling art on an uptick?

Is it just me - or are folks selling off a lot more good stuff than usual these days?  

Been trying to curtail spending, but good stuff keeps appearing.  Forcing myself to sell old stuff to pay for all the new stuff. Is it just me?

Possible reasons for all the selling activity could be 

1. Cashing out at record prices to cover life 's expenses.

2. Selling to raise funds for amazing stuff in upcoming auctions or private sales.

3. Insert your idea here..

At any rate - maybe selling activity hasnt gone up? Some here have longer views of the comic market.

Wondering what boardies here think?

If it is - is that a sign that speculation in our hobby is growing (since most collectors like to hold onto what they got - and not as likely to sell?)

Edited by Panelfan1

I am new to the hobby, joined here in the summer, and the amount of Frazetta, Jeff Jones, BWS art is overwhelming. Is this just luck of the draw or can I expected a choice of BWS conan pages across CL and HA auctions for the foreseeable future?

I've been thinking that pieces for sale generates more sales.

Specifically, that OA collectors really are a niche of the comics hobby. So if a handful of collectors put up ordinarily unavailable and great stuff to pay a tax bill or whatever, it means other OA collectors are selling lesser stuff to fund possible larger pickups. Some collectors never sell anything, and all of what they put into the hobby is new money, but I think most move a bit of OA here to make an OA gain there in their collections. And it usually takes multiple smaller pieces to land a bigger fish, so...

7 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I've been thinking that pieces for sale generates more sales.

Specifically, that OA collectors really are a niche of the comics hobby. So if a handful of collectors put up ordinarily unavailable and great stuff to pay a tax bill or whatever, it means other OA collectors are selling lesser stuff to fund possible larger pickups. Some collectors never sell anything, and all of what they put into the hobby is new money, but I think most move a bit of OA here to make an OA gain there in their collections. And it usually takes multiple smaller pieces to land a bigger fish, so...

That is probably a valid point.  I find myself in sell mode now for that very reason!

Malvin

I think questions like this need qualifiers...clearly not all strata of OA collecting are equal. Price range or era or artist, but I don't think we can talk about the hobby in such generalities. I get the feeling youze guyz is talking 5 and 6 figure art here but am not sure.

I'm not. I'm talking across all strata. I feel like selling art begets selling art. People sell 4 figs to buy 5 figs. 3 figs to buy 4.
In an effort to take advantage of upgrade opportunities.

I often see what I've assumed to be higher than normal levels of work offered over certain times of year, where there are feeding frenzies. Spikes of activity. But it doesn't happen in a vacuum. It's spurred on by events. Post Christmas bills. Tax season. Pre-SDCC fund raising. Post SDCC bills. Pre-Christmas fund raising. And of course various tentpole auctions and/or collection selloffs.

OA is relatively liquid, depending on what one has and what their level of gain/loss tolerances are. And if some big fish sells off a bluechip piece, dozens or hundreds of ancillary auctions may be the result. Call it trickle-down artonomics. ;)

5 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I'm not. I'm talking across all strata. I feel like selling art begets selling art. People sell 4 figs to buy 5 figs. 3 figs to buy 4.
In an effort to take advantage of upgrade opportunities.

I often see what I've assumed to be higher than normal levels of work offered over certain times of year, where there are feeding frenzies. Spikes of activity. But it doesn't happen in a vacuum. It's spurred on by events. Post Christmas bills. Tax season. Pre-SDCC fund raising. Post SDCC bills. Pre-Christmas fund raising. And of course various tentpole auctions and/or collection selloffs.

OA is relatively liquid, depending on what one has and what their level of gain/loss tolerances are. And if some big fish sells off a bluechip piece, dozens or hundreds of ancillary auctions may be the result. Call it trickle-down artonomics. ;)

Excellent post, ESeffinga. I've noticed the same selling trends during those periods. What I would like to add to the artonomics is that I don't sell art during the summer. Most people are away from the computer and enjoying the nice weather. Also, there's SDCC (as you noted). Collectors are saving up their pennies (or thousand dollar bills), but even comic collectors are waiting for the variants (I guess toy collectors, too) and aren't really buying much else. So if you put up something for auction or best offer at that time, you're probably not going to get the optimum price for your piece. On the flip side, if you're looking for bargain shopping, summer, particularly during SDCC, is the time to do it.

I've been on an art selling uptick funding some upgrades. I'll be posting a couple of pieces tonight.