• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A discussion about posting pictures of comics online.
1 1

35 posts in this topic

A discussion about posting pictures of comics online.

This discussion isn't aimed at anyone in particular.

It's aimed at the proliferation of social media and the hobby through that media.

I've noticed that the quality of pictures being posted of comics seems to be at a relative all time low. For a visual medium where eye appeal is everything, it's ironic that many pics that people post of their books are not very attractive.

This could be because showing ownership of the book is more important than showing the actual book (which in and of itself is a phenomenon of social media - everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame)

Or it could simply be that people don't know how to post nice pics of their books.

So I just thought it was worth bringing up, discussing and possibly improving.

A few things I've observed.

• Lots of body parts in pictures: fingers and thumbs, toes ( @seanfingh ) and boobs ( not @seanfingh    :baiting:). Now some may not object to the boobs (i can post mine if you want to see them) but really, there is no comparison to laying a book on a nice clean surface (preferably a solid color and taking a picture straight on of the front and rear covers OR buying one of those picture holders that hold the book up on an angle and you can get a straight on shot.
  • You want maximum light brightness so that you can get maximum exposure and color penetration. Nothing makes a picture look more grainy than low lighting. The best source of light is the sun. Taking a picture next to a bright window really makes your book pop.
  • Glare is going to be an issue with photography of slabbed books. Scanners are WAY better for slabbed books. See the 'Legal Size Scanner Thread' for more info on good and bad scanner for comics. :whistle:
  • If you really don't have a choice and are going to use a camera you can move the book to get the least amount of glare. In cases like this (like when I am at a show and want to take a picture of something but can't eliminate glare completely, I will take a shot with glare on one side of the holder and the flip the holder 180 degrees and take a shot with glare on the other side of the holder. It's better than nothing.
  • If you're selling expensive books, angles and small resolution pictures really don't show the book well and if it's higher grade books buyers will be deterred from a lack of their being able to see the product. If you can't get a good straight on shot then along with the small and angled shots, you can additionally take multiple pictures of the book to convey how it looks. When I was using only a camera, I used to take a 1/4 shot of each quadrant of the front cover and rear cover, so 8 quadrant shots PLUS the two whole shots of the FC and BC making it 10 shots in total. It is more work but if you really want buyers to be interested you're going to have to do the work.

Anyhow, that's all I currently got. Anybody else?

2 minutes ago, seanfingh said:
3 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

You tell 'em, Fingh.

You can suck it 'til its dry, too, fool.

That's the spirit ?

Here is one of my favorites from this week.  Didn't really stop anyone from buying that I could tell.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/413149-columbia-comics-first-sales-thread-on-the-new-boards-sabajunk/?page=4

10 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Here is one of my favorites from this week.  Didn't really stop anyone from buying that I could tell.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/413149-columbia-comics-first-sales-thread-on-the-new-boards-sabajunk/?page=4

Remember a time when sellers posted mostly decent quality scans and not crappy iPhone photos?  

7 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Have we already had a thread for szhittiest comic for sale picture Roy? If not, why the f*** not?

I'm all about the positive energy.

And I don't actually do any drugs. Honest.

19 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I didn't even see that thread. As I said, it's not aimed at anyone in particular.

I just prefer seeing nice pictures.

8 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I'm all about the positive energy.

And I don't actually do any drugs. Honest.

200.gif.453f52a659e66ab4017977b8b98ceaab.gif