• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom created by a fan
1 1

28 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

It would be cool if the intro or credits to movies said something like "Original symbiote suit/Venom concept created by Randy ..."

Well, to be accurate, it should be "black Spider-Man costume idea from Randy Schueller" or something like that, since he had nothing to do with the symbiote or Venom ideas.

5 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Well, to be accurate, it should be "black Spider-Man costume idea from Randy Schueller" or something like that, since he had nothing to do with the symbiote or Venom ideas.

Something like that, but since the black suit that went into his pores led to a gooey symbiote idea.... kind of a grey area 

I believe John Byrne came up with the idea of a symbiotic costume when he and Chris Claremont were working on Iron Fist, as a way of explaining how the hero's costume repaired itself between issues after it had been torn or damaged.  Byrne's run on Iron Fist ended before he could get his idea into print, but he mentioned it to his friend Roger Stern, who later plotted the first appearance of the black costume in Amazing Spider-Man #252.

On 4/26/2017 at 7:19 PM, SteppinRazor said:

Just FYI, any original creation is automatically protected as intellectual property.  Whether you can prove the idea was yours is a different story, or whether it was sufficiently altered so as to be a new creation is up to lawyers should it get that far.

It is a derivative work though, which means he could basically only sell the idea to marvel.

3 hours ago, the blob said:

It is a derivative work though, which means he could basically only sell the idea to marvel.

Yeah, but you can alter the idea to maintain the original aspects of it and excise the derivative bits. 50 Shades of Gray was originally Twilight fan fiction. (I know, the level of testosterone in this thread just plummeted.)

On 4/26/2017 at 10:23 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Another good point! I guess I didn't really think my original statement through, in spirit I knew what I meant lol should have probably said copyrighted?

It seems out of my focus how he could have put the idea into invention mode in this instance anyway, he wouldn't have the resources. 

Copyright would be for a story or piece of art. Trademark is closer to what you're looking for, but you can't really protect an idea by itself. For a trademark to hold there still needs to be some creative work in which it's used.