• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quasar Key Issues

26 posts in this topic

Quasar Key Issues

I realize this crosses over between Copper, Bronze, and Modern Age... But with Starhawk rumored to be in Guardians 2... And Ayesha and Ego confirmed, I got thinking what the common theme there was.

In the comics... Quasar worked for Ego and fathered Starhawk by Ayesha.

I doubt that exact relationship would play out in the movies but it occurs to me Gunn is either a Quasar fan or had to do some Quasar-heavy research. The Wendell Vaughn Quasar comics are kind of the heart of what the Guardians movies draw from and, this my wild speculation, I could see Gunn choosing to introduce Wendell Vaughn as Star Lord's half brother. The Ravagers were sent to deliver Ego's son and yet they never delivered Quill. It hit me that MAYBE they had the wrong son. Also, from a pure audience recognition standpoint, a quasar is a kind of "Star", ala Star Lord. The movies are very much about lost/estranged family (Gamora/Nebula/Thanos, Star-Lord/Ego, Drax lost his family, Rocket and Groot are all the family either one has). Once you introduce Quill's dad, you need another family member and another mix tape for the merchandising. To justify the mix tape conceit for a third movie, he'd need another human family member, likely by Ego since Ego is the one who made the first two mix tapes. A half-sibling.

And what human half-sibling could you assign to Peter Quill who fits into the cinematic universe of Guardians?

I think Quasar works for that, oddly. And maybe that's Michael Rosenbaum's mystery role.

All wild speculation. I already picked up all the BIG Quasar issues on a hunch. But I'm curious if it makes sense to anyone else and what key issues you'd identify?

Here are my big ones:

Captain America #217 (1st appearance, as Marvel Man/Boy)
Hulk #234 (1st appearance as Quasar)
Captain America #229 (1st full body cover appearance)
Marvel Two-in-One #53 (1st starring role)
Quasar #1 (1st ongoing)
Quasar #26 (New costume. He'd had a transitioning costume for several issues before but this one was his iconic 90s look... and in a bit of weird cosmic continuity that nobody has ever paid attention to, was supposed to retroactively replace his costume in all prior appearances. Because... cosmic reasons. Also: a really nice cover with Thanos and an absurd 90s dental floss costume for Moondragon.)
Operation: Galactic Storm
Annhilation #1-6

4 hours ago, PatrickG said:

Quasar Key Issues

I realize this crosses over between Copper, Bronze, and Modern Age... But with Starhawk rumored to be in Guardians 2... And Ayesha and Ego confirmed, I got thinking what the common theme there was.

In the comics... Quasar worked for Ego and fathered Starhawk by Ayesha.

I doubt that exact relationship would play out in the movies but it occurs to me Gunn is either a Quasar fan or had to do some Quasar-heavy research. The Wendell Vaughn Quasar comics are kind of the heart of what the Guardians movies draw from and, this my wild speculation, I could see Gunn choosing to introduce Wendell Vaughn as Star Lord's half brother. The Ravagers were sent to deliver Ego's son and yet they never delivered Quill. It hit me that MAYBE they had the wrong son. Also, from a pure audience recognition standpoint, a quasar is a kind of "Star", ala Star Lord. The movies are very much about lost/estranged family (Gamora/Nebula/Thanos, Star-Lord/Ego, Drax lost his family, Rocket and Groot are all the family either one has). Once you introduce Quill's dad, you need another family member and another mix tape for the merchandising. To justify the mix tape conceit for a third movie, he'd need another human family member, likely by Ego since Ego is the one who made the first two mix tapes. A half-sibling.

And what human half-sibling could you assign to Peter Quill who fits into the cinematic universe of Guardians?

I think Quasar works for that, oddly. And maybe that's Michael Rosenbaum's mystery role.

All wild speculation. I already picked up all the BIG Quasar issues on a hunch. But I'm curious if it makes sense to anyone else and what key issues you'd identify?

Here are my big ones:

Captain America #217 (1st appearance, as Marvel Man/Boy)
Hulk #234 (1st appearance as Quasar)
Captain America #229 (1st full body cover appearance)
Marvel Two-in-One #53 (1st starring role)
Quasar #1 (1st ongoing)
Quasar #26 (New costume. He'd had a transitioning costume for several issues before but this one was his iconic 90s look... and in a bit of weird cosmic continuity that nobody has ever paid attention to, was supposed to retroactively replace his costume in all prior appearances. Because... cosmic reasons. Also: a really nice cover with Thanos and an absurd 90s dental floss costume for Moondragon.)
Operation: Galactic Storm
Annhilation #1-6

Geez, I like your theory, and I cannot think of any more Wendell Vaughn keys, but if you are correct, then I can see books like FF #164 and Marvel Super Action #4 getting a short-lived pop too, no?

He spent a lot of time in the Avengers in an era of that title that's all dirt cheap; any key turning points in his life in there?

I think one of the Avengers issues may be his second costume debut (the one with the mask). I suppose his joining the Avengers may be a key as well.

Thing is, I don't think most of the Guardians characters saw huge bumps to more than a few keys. Nebula's first appearance remains dirt cheap comparatively.

My guess would be Cap #217, Hulk #234, and Quasar #1 will get the huge bumps. I picked up a couple of Phyla-Vell keys but, really, I see her coming in much further down the line, if at all. My guess is they'll introduce Mar-Vell as a dead hero or an Abin Sur torch-passing type for the Carol Danvers Captain Marvel film and I can't see Phyla being introduced before Mar if they're actually going to use Mar-Vell at all.

Actually, where my brain goes with the Captain Marvel movie is Mar-Vell probably dying in an Area 51 type facility where Carol ends up stationed and passing his powers on to her.

That probably makes any chance at Phyla-Vell 7-8 years out since her claim to fame is being Mar-Vell's daughter. In the meantime, I could see Vaughn being Quasar.

The other possible key that jumps out is Guardians of the Galaxy #61 where they get into Starhawk being the child of Kismet and Quasar. I think the movie might play up some instinctive link between the characters but I also doubt Starhawk will be from the future. (Although Ayesha may be interested in mating with Quasar.) Honestly, movie Ayesha reminds me a bit of Magus and Goddess from the trailers. Seems like maybe the Universal Life Church (Magus' religion) is in the movie.

13 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Geez, I like your theory, and I cannot think of any more Wendell Vaughn keys, but if you are correct, then I can see books like FF #164 and Marvel Super Action #4 getting a short-lived pop too, no?

He spent a lot of time in the Avengers in an era of that title that's all dirt cheap; any key turning points in his life in there?

Ok, I kinda sorta think that answers my previous question.

6290e2147f11696464441c57a13891fd_l.jpg

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Ok, I kinda sorta think that answers my previous question.

6290e2147f11696464441c57a13891fd_l.jpg

That's the first Marvel Boy. Quasar was a legacy hero with no link beyond a shared costume and name, which he had because, presumably, Roy Thomas was writing and thought a SHIELD-created super-hero might borrow the name and costume of an Atlas character who'd recently died in Fantastic Four. I suspect the oddity of it all is why Gruenwald had the 90s costume (and name?) retroactively replace the original as part of a cosmic storyline. Technically, going by Gruenwald's take, I think flashbacks to the first appearance in Cap should have Vaughn answering to Quasar and wearing his 90s costume. Probably because it didn't make sense to Gruenwald to have Vaughn cosplaying as a 50s hero he had no ties to.

3 hours ago, PatrickG said:

That's the first Marvel Boy. Quasar was a legacy hero with no link beyond a shared costume and name, which he had because, presumably, Roy Thomas was writing and thought a SHIELD-created super-hero might borrow the name and costume of an Atlas character who'd recently died in Fantastic Four. I suspect the oddity of it all is why Gruenwald had the 90s costume (and name?) retroactively replace the original as part of a cosmic storyline. Technically, going by Gruenwald's take, I think flashbacks to the first appearance in Cap should have Vaughn answering to Quasar and wearing his 90s costume. Probably because it didn't make sense to Gruenwald to have Vaughn cosplaying as a 50s hero he had no ties to.

Isn't the link the bands? It's been a while, but didn't the original disintegrate in FF164, leaving only the bands?

Just read a refresher on this. Yes. The quantum bands came from the guy who died in FF but he was impersonating Marvel Boy.

So... the owner of the quantum bands, an Eternal, posed as Marvel Boy. Wendell Vaughn took the bands and dressed up as Marvel Boy.

27 minutes ago, PatrickG said:

Just read a refresher on this. Yes. The quantum bands came from the guy who died in FF but he was impersonating Marvel Boy.

So... the owner of the quantum bands, an Eternal, posed as Marvel Boy. Wendell Vaughn took the bands and dressed up as Marvel Boy.

Thanks! It's been a while, and I no longer have FF164-165 (I think he actually dies in 165). 

So if the guy who died was one of the Eternals, I wonder whatever happened to the original Marvel Boy, and whether that Eternal somehow had the original Marvel Boy bands. 

Similarly, while we are speculating on cosmic 70's Marvel recycling into cinema and probably back into the books from there, whatever happened to Mar-Vell's nega bands after his death?

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Thanks! It's been a while, and I no longer have FF164-165 (I think he actually dies in 165). 

So if the guy who died was one of the Eternals, I wonder whatever happened to the original Marvel Boy, and whether that Eternal somehow had the original Marvel Boy bands. 

Similarly, while we are speculating on cosmic 70's Marvel recycling into cinema and probably back into the books from there, whatever happened to Mar-Vell's nega bands after his death?

Didn't they wind up with Genis-Vell?

On 15 April 2017 at 5:45 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Wasn't Quasar in the golden/atlas age as well or am I thinking of a similar character? hm

The original Marvel Boy, Bob Grayson, is now The Uranian, a member of the Agents of Atlas team.

On 4/15/2017 at 5:43 PM, PatrickG said:

Quasar'`s new costume looks so much better than the old one.

$_58.JPG

I should be picking up a commission with that very same costume, with the starfield inside the cape, sometime later this year.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On a related cosmic note, I'm also hearing rumors that Gunn may be bringing in a LOT of classic Guardians as old friends of Yondu that he calls in for backup.

You've probably heard about Stallone as Stakar/Starhawk. There's buzz Sharon Stone has a "heat" related character in an unknown Marvel movie, which I think is this one. Could be Nikki Gold. Could be Nova, depending on the rights. If Nikki is in, theoretically any Guardian could appear. Martinex or Talon seem like possibilities for Rosenbaum. Nova or Quasar as well. They did Richard Ryder concept art for the first movie. If they're doing a ton of secret celebrity cameos, Pacino might also be in as he is a Guardians fan who wanted in on the sequel.

From a speculation standpoint, a lot of characters with first appearances under $10 could be played by an A-list celebrity in a cameo. I wouldn't bother with the Guardians' first appearance as that's already pretty valuable but Talon or Nikki Gold could heat up fast.

8 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

The original Marvel Boy, Bob Grayson, is now The Uranian, a member of the Agents of Atlas team.

I've heard good things about that series. Is it still ongoing? Are there many back issues, and can I grab it cheap?

I always loved that What If (#9) about the 1950s Avengers and would probably enjoy this series from what I have heard.

4 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I've heard good things about that series. Is it still ongoing? Are there many back issues, and can I grab it cheap?

I always loved that What If (#9) about the 1950s Avengers and would probably enjoy this series from what I have heard.

It's actually consistently well-written by Jeff Parker, and has some great art by Gabriel Hardman.  I really enjoyed it.  The books shouldn't be too expensive to pick up, and there are several trade paperbacks available for you as well.

The What If issue was one of the first non-distributed, American import comics that I ever bought, here in the UK, back in the 70s.  Besides that, like you I've always been quite fond of this retro team, and Agents of Atlas gives some 50s background stories as well as being a modern update.  I suspect there's a very good chance you'll enjoy it too. :smile:

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

It's actually consistently well-written by Jeff Parker, and has some great art by Gabriel Hardman.  I really enjoyed it.  The books shouldn't be too expensive to pick up, and there are several trade paperbacks available for you as well.

The What If issue was one of the first non-distributed, American import comics that I ever bought, here in the UK, back in the 70s.  Besides that, like you I've always been quite fond of this retro team, and Agents of Atlas gives some 50s background stories as well as being a modern update.  I suspect there's a very good chance you'll enjoy it too. :smile:

Thanks Ken, I'll track it down!

On 4/18/2017 at 0:42 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I always thought there was a good chance of this getting adapted in some fashion for the MCU. You have AoA as a natural home for Peggy Carter and there are a number of other characters I could see utilized, like a young Hank Pym or Howard Stark. The big thing I'd imagine it being a few waves out, after they get around to Namor.